• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leupold (1 Viewer)

cthomas

I'm looking for a pair Binoculars and was just curious as to why you don't hear about anybody using Leupold/Wind Rivers Binoculars. When you read the reviews on these Binoculars you very seldom see anything bad about them.

Also the same for the Steiner Binoculars. And how do you feel about Swift Binoculars?

Hello thomas,
Swift Binoculars have been mentioned, and according to most members they are not as highly ranked as, for instance, Zeiss, Swarovski, Leicas or Nikons.
The Swift Audubons did get a few positive comments. I have one of those new Swift Audubon porro prisms, and they have great optics, but I suspect that most other members don't consider them as good as an 8.5x42 EL or a Nikon 10x42SE. That's something I wish I could find out.
marcus

One reason is Leupold is a US company and this is a more international website. The Windriver Olympic (P1) is a very good buy. I have the 10x50's (which I am going to sell) only because I need to liquidate. They are extremely bright and sharp.
Dave

cthomas said:
I'm looking for a pair Binoculars and was just curious as to why you don't hear about anybody using Leupold/Wind Rivers Binoculars. When you read the reviews on these Binoculars you very seldom see anything bad about them.

Also the same for the Steiner Binoculars. And how do you feel about Swift Binoculars?

Leupold is a company that has its headquarters in Oregon. For that reason, many birders in Oregon use Leupold Wind River binocs. The Wind River Pinnacles and Olympics are high quality phase-corrected roof prisms that are made in Japan. In the same general price range is the ED version of the Swift Audubon 8.5 x 44. Many Swift products are also made in Japan, and I would not be surprised if the Swift Audubon ED and the Wind River Pinnacles came from the same factory. Barring a compelling reason to buy a waterproof roof prism glass, I would choose the ED Audubon from this group of binoculars.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back