• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

mouse ID Lymm Cheshire (1 Viewer)

jape

new to birding with a small 40 sq m yard, i have been also surprised when watching the birds by a rabbit, a hedgehog and a grey squirrel.

today this little creature showed up in broad daylight for about fifteen minutes too and fro picking up seeds. i thought, huh, mouse, then looked it up and realised it is probably not house mouse mus musculus but wood mouse apodemus sylvaticus.

can anyone confirm please?
20180226_164955.jpg

I'd agree with wood (field) mouse, although it could be a Yellow-necked mouse (Apodemus flavicollis). The photo isn't clear enough to see the distinguishing 'yellow collar' (or not), and it's hard to judge size.

Mick

thanks MTem, I didnt even know they existed until today. it sat up once or twice, no collar. maybe a bit smaller than i know house mice to be and thin tail and very pale underparts. as well as taking spilled seed it climbed straight up a wooden fence to get to the coconut so very agile. full daylight though? that surprised me, i thought mice were nocturnal.

We also have two Wood Mice 'tidying up' what the birds spill on our terrace, they usually don't come out till late afternoon/sunset but last week one of them delighted our nieces by showing up at 3pm (maybe getting desperate for food in the colder weather recently?).

I think you are right about the very cold weather bringing creatures out RP, my first fox also half an hour ago, before dusk, poking his nose through the open palings from an unused yard next door and having a sniff.

new to birding with a small 40 sq m yard, i have been also surprised when watching the birds by a rabbit, a hedgehog and a grey squirrel.

today this little creature showed up in broad daylight for about fifteen minutes too and fro picking up seeds. i thought, huh, mouse, then looked it up and realised it is probably not house mouse mus musculus but wood mouse apodemus sylvaticus.

can anyone confirm please?
View attachment 654898

Be vigilant for Rats doing the same thing or the neighbours may have something to say!

A

Be vigilant for Rats doing the same thing or the neighbours may have something to say!
A

i'm pretty careful about tidying up but couldn't be fussed to open the door and lose heat today as it were coooold. only been here 5 months so theres time for rats yet! plenty of local cats and the newly seen fox may keep them down.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back