• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (36 Viewers)

A good morning out in the Sandringham/Wolferton/Dersingham Bog area, a Golden Pheasant heard on the Wolferton Triangle, a Sand Martin over the boardwalk at Dersingham Bog (!), a small group of c. 5 Crossbills heard in that area as well and 2+ Woodlarks, as well as good numbers of commoner species such as 40+ Siskins, 5 Stonechats, 14 Meadow Pipits.

Also a singing male Firecrest 'nearby'

Cheers,

Connor

p.s more on my blog.

Last edited:
Ended up at Wacton common today the SEO was showing well. :)

If I'd have known you were there I would have popped over! I was up the other end by the hall!!

Dark Breasted still showing well also..

Matt

Attachments

• Owl common 005 (Custom).jpg
    Owl common 005 (Custom).jpg
    30 KB · Views: 97
  • Owl common 064 (Custom).jpg
    Owl common 064 (Custom).jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 109
  • Owl common 029.jpg
    Owl common 029.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:
A few bits and bobs this weekend, including Rough-legged Buzzard (not twitched), a couple of Chiffchaffs and Willow Tits and a Long-tailed Duck. Details (as ever) on my website.

Edit: ps nice pics Matt and well done on the lesser-pecker Jason. Took me four goes to get the one at Santon Downham, so I can sympathise with the effort required!

Last edited:
If I'd have known you were there I would have popped over! I was up the other end by the hall!!

Dark Breasted still showing well also..

Matt

We thought we might have seen you! Unfortunately we were't out for long as we had planned to bird earlier in the day when the weather was a bit warmer, but just happened to be in the area having stopped off at the Banham Barrel and thought we'd pop in to see the owls.:t: Looks like your patience is paying off- you are getting some great shots of the owls!

Been Mainly patching it recently and nothing spectacular but rewarding nonetheless.
Small passage of Stonechat noted, 13 between Kelling Heath and Weybourne Heath on thurs, the 5 at Weybourne having disappeared by Sunday, they could have been 5 of the 6 at the back of Besston Bump in newly ploughed field on Sunday.
Also on Sun, a Jackdaw showing strong characteristics of Nordic on Beeston Regis. Jacks seem to be an 'unpopular bird', but searching through Jacks was enjoyable because 1) Jacks are super cool birds that get criminally ignored and 2) rewarding to be taking a closer look at something quite common and adding a new dimension to it. The Nordic showed a whitish collar/ thick crescent on the side of the neck but not blinding white, theres very little info on them and some sources state that some of the Nordics interbreed with the western race - so problematic to claim a definite Nordic. Recent bird report paint a picture that a Nordic is about as frequent in Norfolk as something like a Black-necked Grebe or Little Bunting! but presumably they are extremely underreported.

Also in same field a leucistic Woodpigeon and nearby Chiffchaff, patch has produced Merlin, Barn Owl, Woodcock and flock of around 300 Siskin in last few days, waiting for the first hirundines...

Thanks to excelent advice from Connor, I managed to see both Woodlark and Crossbills at Dersingham Bog this morning. The Woodlark caught my attention in songflight over my head, and then proceded to feed in the low-cut heather for most of the morning. A group of 4 Crossbills flew over calling , but flew out of view, so no good views sadly. Also seen were c6 Brambling and the other usual Mipits, Stonechats, Siskins and Reed Buntings.

Titchwell produced 3 Med Gulls (1 adult over the sea and 2 2ndW birds from Parrinder), 2 Spotshanks and the Black Brant, along with the other bumph ;) (too tired to recite)

Jason

Today I went to Bawsey in my lunchbreak. Even though its very close to King's Lynn I have never actually been there!!!! It looks fantastic. Short turfed grass with a path following the vast pit, loads of gorse in flower, birches and pines, it was MUCH better than I imagined it to be. But does look a bit lonely if you know what I mean.

Between 1.10 and 1.50pm:

A fantastic flock in the pines of Siskens, Greenfinches, chaffinches and goldfinches - its a long time since I have seen this many finches together, some were feeding off the pines cones and some were feeding on the ground, I couldn't believe how many there were! Also jackdaws, rooks, carrion crows, jay, pied wagtail. On the water; black headed gulls, common gulls and black backed gulls, 15 canada geese, loads of greylag geese, 2 egyptian geese and moorhens and coots dabbling by the water's edge. I was having such a lovely time, I almost forgot to go back to work!!!

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

Looks like your patience is paying off- you are getting some great shots of the owls!

Thanks!!

Though the other eighty odd pics taken the other day were total sh... ;)

I was taking to the farmer who lives by the common recently and he remarked how few mice have been trapped in his barn...the mild weather seems to have aided something of a food explosion which may explain why there has been so many Owls attracted to the site recently. It certainly is quite a surreal experiance watching the two Short Eareds and Barn Owls all out hunting together ..often robbed of catches by the resident Kestrel!!

Matt

Attachments

• wacton common II 004 (Custom).jpg
    wacton common II 004 (Custom).jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 107
  • Owl common 027 (Custom).jpg
    Owl common 027 (Custom).jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 86
Hi all,
Does anybody have any Firecrest Gen, they're willing to share with me?(via pm if nessecary)preferably in the brecks...i think it's about time I saw one of my biggest bogey birds.
Thanks in advance.
:t:

Hi all,
Does anybody have any Firecrest Gen, they're willing to share with me?(via pm if nessecary)preferably in the brecks...i think it's about time I saw one of my biggest bogey birds.
Thanks in advance.
:t:

Lynford arboretum, by the red brick italianate pavilion thing! ..was told the bushes around the area was quite reliable...though obviously not guaranteed!

Most reliable spot I know of is by the first blue dog turd bin from the walk at Lady Anns Drive on the way to the Washington hide..(Holkham NNR)

Good luck!

Matt

Last edited:
Lynford arboretum, by the red brick italianate pavilion thing! ..was told the bushes around the area was quite reliable...though obviously not guaranteed!

Most reliable spot I know of is by the first blue dog turd bin from the walk at Lady Anns Drive on the way to the Washington hide..(Holkham NNR)

Good luck!

Matt

Yes at Lynford by the Folly, although anywhere between here and the carpark can be good for them; think there was a report by the latter recently...

Connor

Yes at Lynford by the Folly, although anywhere between here and the carpark can be good for them; think there was a report by the latter recently...

Connor

Cheers matt and connor, i tried up at Lynford earlier in the winter and was well and truly beaten by them. I think i might be able to give it a go this weekend, i'll let you know how i get on.
cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back