• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sharp-shinned or cooper's hawk near Toronto (Canada) (1 Viewer)

pietern2

I just saw this hawk sitting in a tree near Toronto. Is it a sharp-shinned hawk or a cooper's hawk?

Attachments

• DSC_2887.jpg
    DSC_2887.jpg
    851.2 KB · Views: 83
  • DSC_2883.jpg
    DSC_2883.jpg
    386.7 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
Yes, the bird was banded. Why would this be a Cooper's? The bird guide I used to identify the bird doesn't show any white markings on the back of either hawk.

Yes, the bird was banded. Why would this be a Cooper's? The bird guide I used to identify the bird doesn't show any white markings on the back of either hawk.

Both Cooper's and Sharp-shinned can show varying amounts of white on the back. The thick legs (notwithstanding the band on one leg) and warmer brown head than back are two features that point to Cooper's for me.

Both Cooper's and Sharp-shinned can show varying amounts of white on the back. The thick legs (notwithstanding the band on one leg) and warmer brown head than back are two features that point to Cooper's for me.

I can't see any visible leg at all, just the bit that's inside the ring?

A

I have added some new pictures which show more of the actual leg. Maybe this could help the identification?

Attachments

• DSC_2879.jpg
    DSC_2879.jpg
    362.6 KB · Views: 39
I can't see any visible leg at all, just the bit that's inside the ring?

A

True. As Nutcracker pointed out, I partly used the feet in my assessment. I should have specified that. If you think about it, though, a bird's leg band is supposed to have a fairly snug fit on the leg (not too snug). Keeping that in mind, the pictured bird's leg must still be pretty thick.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back