• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leupold Leupold Katmai 6x32 same as Opticron Traveller 6x32? (1 Viewer)

Try looking at some areas where there are a lot of bright contrasting colors and you will see how flat and dead the Katmai's are compared to Leicas. Monarch's are the same way. You get what you pay for but if the Katmai's are satisfactory for you that's great because you are saving money BUT there really is a big difference between a $300.00 pair of binoculars and a $1200.00 pair. Look for the difference in contrast. I don't want anybody to be misled thinking they can get comparable optics for a third the price. It just ain't possible!

Dennis

Well, I guess that's why they say "your mileage may vary." Whether it's differences in our eyes, or sample-to-sample differences in the binoculars, or some other factor, our impressions of this bin are quite different. I'm not saying they're the equal of the best in the world, but I do say they are close. From what I saw, their color rendition, shadow detail and brightness were strengths, not failings.

On the other hand, I wonder how many people feel that the "big three" are always by definition unapproachably better than anything else where optical quality is concerned. Is a pair of Zeiss FLs 5 times as good as a pair of Katmais? More like 10% better, if that. I own and have owned in the past several bins that anyone would agree are "alpha class," and the fact is that there are much less expensive bins that are optically very comparable to those in the "top three." I would, for instance, put the Nikon 8x30 E2's I recently sold (due to insufficient relief for my newly-necessary glasses) up against any 8x32 roof prism bin you could name in terms of optical quality. In fact, my recent experience suggests to me that the deluxe roof prisms are still struggling to meet the optical benchmarks of the best porros. Among roofs, the best offerings from Pentax or Swift give the Euro glasses a serious run for their money. The Euros are of consistently fine optical quality, and they may be more rugged, more waterproof and have better warranties than the competition. Even there, I don't think they want anyone to compare their customer service (especially Zeiss or Leica) with Leupold, who have led in that area for decades. The Euros cost more and are more prestigious, no question. They certainly have higher resale value. But they are not better by definition.

Some year ago I compared the Katmai 6x32 to the Zeiss Victory FL 7x42.
Yes, I experienced the Zeiss to be better. But I have to say that the difference was not nearly as big as the difference of price. I think the katmai 6x32 is a very good binocular. It actually has an interesting combination of properties:

*not much larger sized than a standard 10x25
*Brightness beating a 10x50
*providing a steady and comfortable view

The eye relief is good as well, well suited for eyeglasses, better than any 8x32.

Regards, Patric

But poor contrast! The view is just dead to me! No life in it. Of course that is just my opinion. It's just they really let me down after being use to Zeiss and Leica. I had heard so many good things about them. They are really no better than Monarchs. In other words not bad for a $300.00 pair of binoculars.

Dennis

through my eyes, perception, and the physical bins on hand to comapare ..... i liked the monarchs a lot for what they are, but can see impoved sharpness, brightness and contrast in the katmais. the katmais are also smaller and lighter.to me the katmais look alive, real and bright. it was interesting to note that the guy working at the nature reserve was very surprised by these little bins he had never heard of before and seemed a bit upset that he had paid so much for his leicas.

Recently I tried the Nikon Monarch 8x36. This model dissapointed me and was not as good as I recall from earlier trying the Monarch 8x42. I compared side-by-side to my Swarovski SLCnew 7x42 and the Monarch 8x36 felt like a budget glass in comparison, as well the sharpness and sweet spot were bad in comparison. Monarch 8x36 also provides significantly stronger inner reflections.
Eye relief is short in comparison to the Nikon Sporter 8x36, not adequate for me with eyeglasses.
Therefore I am convinced that the Katmai 6x32 is way superior to the Monarch 8x36.

Regards, Patric

I recently purchased a pair of Katmai 6x32 and compared them to the Eagle Optics Ranger 6x32. My low-power reference binoculars are the Zeiss Victory FL 7x42 T*.

I will note in advance that the Zeiss were the winners in every comparison I did, but that is to be expected given the extra magnification and price. I love my Zeiss! But I will save my raves for the Zeiss for another day.

I don't own a resolution chart or fancy testing equipment so the tests I ran were quite amateurish but revealing nonetheless. I first focused the Rangers on a green pine cone on a tree approximately 150 feet away. Comparing it to the Zeiss, I was surprised at the high resolution, pretty close considering 6x vs 7x. Doing the same test with the Katmai was a bit of a disappointment. I wear glasses and normally a neutral diopter setting works best for me with glasses on. Surprisingly however I needed to make a small diopter adjustment with the Katmai, which brought them closer to the Rangers in resolution. Still, I would have to give a slight edge to the Rangers over the Katmai. Not that the Katmai were bad, just almost imperceptibly less sharp at center.

Living in Las Vegas, you have a pretty good view of airplanes landing from just about anywhere so the next test was tracking planes from maybe a half mile away. The Katmai blew away the Rangers here. Curious why, I went back to the pine cone test and found that the Rangers resolution dropped off sharply from the center, and you didn't have to get far from center to see this. The Katmai on the other hand had pretty good resolution across the field as well as a wider FOV. The apparent FOV was hugely favorable in the Katmai.

Another difference between the two is subjective -- the Katmai seemed to be much more relaxing to look through. They were just downright pleasant, giving the feeling that you could look through them all day with no eyestrain. Ergonomically they are amazing. They are smaller than the Rangers, but feel more solid although they are actually an ounce lighter. Very light indeed at about 18 oz but their solid feel made them very stable in the hands. It's one of those things where you have to try it to see what I mean -- there is no feeling of imbalance, their small size makes you feel like you are holding one object, not one end of an object.

The focus wheel on the Katmai was better feeling than the Ranger. It was very smooth and effortless. Some might say almost too effortless but I found it comfortable. Focusing was not the snap that you get in the Zeiss, however. With the Zeiss, you turn the wheel and suddenly everything is crystal clear and sharp, and I never overshoot. Both the Katmai and the Ranger required more careful focusing, though the Katmai had a reasonable DOF so constant refocusing was not necessary.

Eye relief on both was generous, no problems there. Close focus went to the Ranger at about 3 feet, although the Katmai focused fine at just under 5 feet. I did notice that I had to slightly adjust the IPD of the Ranger when focusing very close.

I intended to order the black version of the Katmai but Eagle Optics was out of stock so I got the natural instead. I am glad I did and would recommend it over boring black.

Both the Ranger and Katmai came with the same rainguard, a loose-fitting floppy contraption. It isn't a problem with the Katmai because they go into the case sideways, but with the Ranger it is almost impossible to put them into the case without the rainguard coming off. The Katmai objective covers fit well but do not attach to the binocular, which is an area of possible improvement.

Even though I own what I consider to be the ultimate 7x in the Zeiss, I have no problem grabbing the Katmai to take on a field trip. They are a pleasure to use and very compact compared to the Zeiss, and they look and feel great.

Wally

Thanks Wally for your valuable report!

You and I are in a slight similar situation; both of us own a 6 and 7x binocular of similar configurations. I have the Leupold Yosemite 6x30 and the Swarovski SLCnew7x42new.
I have tried the Katmai 6x32 and know it's a very decent binocular. I actually compared it in a store to the Zeiss 7x42 Victory FL. Yes, the Zeiss was SLIGHTLY better. That was my impression.

I am still tempted to get the Katmai 6x32. It has the combination of the size of the 10x25 (not much bigger) and the brightness of a 10x50.

I have never compared the Swarovski SLC 7x42 to the Zeiss Victory FL side-by-side. But I know they are both great binoculars.

Regards, Patric

Wally-
"Focusing was not the snap that you get in the Zeiss, however. With the Zeiss, you turn the wheel and suddenly everything is crystal clear and sharp, and I never overshoot."

This is one of the hallmarks of all the big 3 binos. The moment of focus realization is immediate. They snap to focus quickly. I've bought and sold quite a few mid priced binos that otherwise were of good quality because I found them frustrating in use birding due to vague focusing. If the point of a birding bino is to quickly get on, focus, and identify a bird and a certain bino slows down or frustrates those issues, then it's not a very good birding bino. As a beater, loaner, glove box pair of binos I can see the attraction but your time birding is precious. If you can afford them, whenever you can, use the best binos available.

Patric-
"I am still tempted to get the Katmai 6x32. It has the combination of the size of the 10x25 (not much bigger) and the brightness of a 10x50."

Well, sort of. Yeah using the exit pupil squared formula for "relative brightness" is roughly equivalent but the 10 x 50s have a FAR greater twilight factor (squareroot of mag x objective dia) and you WILL see much better in marginal light with the bigger bins.

Patric-
"Recently I tried the Nikon Monarch 8x36. This model dissapointed me and was not as good as I recall from earlier trying the Monarch 8x42."

I had exactly the same experience. Pretty impressed with the 8x42 Monarchs, I had high hopes for the 36mm models. In a side by side comparo, the 42mm versions were clearly better.

Last edited:
Kevin,

Interesting you have the same experience with the Monarch as I have.

About the twilight factor I understand that I will see more with a 10x50 than the 6x32, during as well bright and lowlight conditions. But the Katmai is amazing compact and provides a comfortable +5mm exit pupil and bright image in a format which usually belongs to binoculars suited for only daytime use. I like that!

Regards, Patric

Kevin,
About the twilight factor I understand that I will see more with a 10x50 than the 6x32, during as well bright and lowlight conditions. But the Katmai is amazing compact and provides a comfortable +5mm exit pupil and bright image in a format which usually belongs to binoculars suited for only daytime use. I like that!

Regards, Patric

No argument. The Katmai is a very attractive binocular.
I was only addressing the "bright as a 10 x 50" comment.

The big thing I do not like about the Katmai's or Monarch's is the CONTRAST is not there. When I started out in birding I had 8x42 Monarch's and a pair of 6x32 Katmai's and I thought they were good but I had not experienced the better binoculars. Latter I got used to the top Zeiss FL's and Leica Trinovid binoculars and about a year ago I tried a pair of Katmai's 6x32's thinking I could use them for a glovebox pair of binoculars. Without even comparing them side by side with my Leica's I looked through them and was immediately dissapointed in the view. It was like "DEAD!" "LIFELESS!" My brain had grown use to receiving the better image and I was spoiled by it. Once you have the best binoculars it is hard to go back to lesser glass. I do have a pair of Zeiss Conquest 8x30 T's now and outside of FOV they are very close to the top binoculars even in contrast. If you can blow your budget and spend an extra $200.00 over the Katmai's I would highly recommend them. They are almost as compact and with a much better view for only a few dollars more.
Interesting observation about the Zeiss FL's snapping into focus. That is one of the hallmarks of all high end optics including telescopes(Astrophysics,Takahashi,eg.). You are right in that it is a big advantage of a birding binocular to "snap" into focus and another reason to spend the extra money if you can to get the alpha binoculars. I have noticed that also on the less expensive binoculars. You tend to fiddle with the focus trying to find focus more than on the better binoculars.

Dennis

Dennis,

There is no question that a $300 pair of bins will perform worse than a $1500 pair -- I would certainly hope so! I too would advise anyone who can afford it to go for an FL or an HD or an EL, they are certainly worth the price when you consider that you get a lifetime of WOW!

There is a place for lesser pairs however. I use bins for a variety of things besides birding, like concerts and sporting events. It is somewhat difficult to smuggle a pair of 10x42's into a concert, for example, and a compact lower power like the Katmai with its wide field of view is perfect for many situations. Not to mention that I don't hesitate to loan them out to friends going on a camping trip or the kids, when I would be worried about when my 7x42's are coming back!

Wally

Dennis,

My experience of the Katmai is too small to give a comment more than I experienced it to be very high class when I compared to to the Zeiss Victory FL 7x42. It was a sunny day and not the best condition to try out the contrast, however.

If you have the possibility to try the Leupold Yosemite 6x30 you can see if you experience the same thing. The Yosemite has very good contrast in my opinion, so I will doubt...

Regards, Patric

Dennis,
There is a place for lesser pairs however. I use bins for a variety of things besides birding, like concerts and sporting events. It is somewhat difficult to smuggle a pair of 10x42's into a concert, for example, and a compact lower power like the Katmai with its wide field of view is perfect for many situations. Not to mention that I don't hesitate to loan them out to friends going on a camping trip or the kids, when I would be worried about when my 7x42's are coming back!

Wally

Exactly Wally. My last go-round with mid priced binos were the bargain 7x42 Discoverers that some of us got in on. I liked most everything about them except they were slow to focus, and therefore useless to me as a birding bino. I sold them to my brother who thinks they're great and will use them for hunting (yeah, he's the black sheep of the family :C) and sporting events, where they'll be great.

I like small "decent" binos for concerts also. A few years ago, I brought a new pair of 8x32 Trinovids to a concert. I was passing them to my girlfriend and two other friends at times. One of them passed them behind us to strangers while I wasn't paying attention and a few minutes later after inquiring where they were I see someone three rows back I didn't know using them. Visions of them disappearing, being dropped, and greasy finger prints prompted me to get up and retrieve them.

My 8x30 Zeiss Conquests work great at concerts and sporting events. I had some Leica Trinovid's 8x32 for awhile and they were also excellent for that. The Leica Trinovids 7x42 are a little big for concerts and theatre. I know what you mean about handing $800.00 binoculars to people at a concert. Especially woman!(Just Kidding!). It's just makes you nervous.

Dennis

You know you have got to give those Germans credit. They sure how to make nice optics in binoculars. Zeiss and Leica! Wow. To me I have never had a Japanese binocular that compared. Not even Nikon. Must be those years of experience. Maybe I am just partial. But god they are good!

Dennis

Hi again!

I discover that I missed to complement this thread. Actually I bought the Katmai 6x32 last autumn. I would say that this binocular is the model I would choose to keep if I only was allowed to have one glass. The format and holding is very good. I like the design too.
Swarovski SLC 7x42 is optically superior in every respect (what else to expect) but Katmai 6x32 is the glass I mostoften bring with me. Though it's not a true compact glass it fits in the pocket of a winterjacket, and the weight isn't either annoying. I would say that the image quality is very good, though it isn't really as sharp as SLC7x42 or Yosemite 6x30 (these two are very equal when it comes to on-axis sharpness). Yosemite 6x30 shows more inner reflections, however. Without a comparison there is no doubt that katmai 6x32 is far superior than the example of Nikon 8x36 Monarch I earlier tried. About the contrast I don't experience Katmai is bad at all.

Regards, Patric

Patric...

Nice to hear some good comments on the Katmai 6x32. Like you, the Katmai 6x32 is my "on-the-go" glass. It is hard to beat for this purpose.

...Bob
Kentucky, USA

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back