• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

up grading eye piece (1 Viewer)

obestevens

Hi,
I currently using an opticron es80 gasd with a hdf x32 ww eye piece.
I want to upgrade possibly to a zoom eye piece and also use the scope for digi scoping.
can anyone tell me if it is worth upgrading to a zoom lens ?
and also which camera would be best and easiest to connect for use with my scope ?

thanks

obe

I'd recommend getting to an outlet where you can compare different eyepieces on your 'scope. In Focus at Martin Mere were very helpful when asked a similar question - more so than Opticron in Luton who were helpful but didn't solve my problem.

A SDL zoom is what you are looking for.

David

Aren't we all at £229!

I notice that the specs quote mag for 50, 60 & 70 mm scopes but don't mention 80mm?

Magnification [50] 12-36x
Magnification [60]
15-45x
Magnification [70] 16-48x
Field/1000m [50] 54/30
Field/1000m [60] 48/24
Field/1000m [70] 36/23
Price £ inc.VAT 229

Do you have one of these yourself David? My own non ED zoom is such a dissapointment compared with my HDx20w that I hardly use it.

Can you persuade me that this is worth £229?

Aren't we all at £229!

I notice that the specs quote mag for 50, 60 & 70 mm scopes but don't mention 80mm?

I think the spec you are quoting is for use with the IS range of scopes. On a scope like the ES80 it is a 20-60X zoom (I think it works out at 23-70 on an HR80). The HDF zoom gives the same range and is also excellent quality, but costs a bit less at £179. As has already been suggetsed getting along to a dealer and checking them out for yourself is the only way to see if it is worth you buying one.

I used the SDL on the ES100. I changed it by a HR zoom because I wanted more magnifications - the SDL result on 20-60x on the ES80 and the HR on 23-69x, also on the ES80. The HR image is also good (and cheaper 139£) but there is a difference on the viewing, specially if you have eye-glasses : on the SDL you have a "window" view, on the HR you have more "look through an hole" view... As I told first, I have now the HR since is better for cr-birding, because it increases more. If you want to use it for digiscopy choose the SDL or the HDF since you want low magnifications.

David

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back