• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

help me identify this LARGE snake being victumized by a OMGG >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> (1 Viewer)

scuba0095

help me identify this LARGE snake being victumized by a OMGG >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

www.break.com/index/brave...snake.html

THis video is totally natural as you can see the rabbit is NOT domestic its a wild rabbit and that snake doesnt seem to act domestic either as it is DESPERATLY TRYing to defend itself agaisnt the agressive cottontail

Can someone identify this snake? WOW ITS BIG!

Thanks, now it worked.
First of al, in the beggining, you can see the tail rattleing, which can meen only one thing: it's a rattler. Which, I don't know, but i estimate its 2.5-3.5 m. Isn't that the size of a Eastern Diamondback? I can't remember...

Considering that the snake is big enough to eat the rabbit and is venomous and bit the rabbit seeral times, I'd say that the rabbit has something in common with groundsquirrels- an immunity to rattler venom.(?)

The sanke did connect a couple of times, but it probably didn't penetrate with the fangs.

Quite bizarre! - But the snake seemed to know it had met its match and made directly for the tree. Now think about this - the snake (a rattlesnake, more than likely - and far more at home on the ground) recognised its attacker was unable to climb trees and made for this safe haven. It would have been really interesting if the snake had the OPTION of going down a burrow or popping up a tree - did it know its attacker was a rabbit? - What I mean is, is this behaviour (rabbit attacking snake) more common than we think?

im assuming the rabbit was a mother defending her young which still seems odd

I have seen domestic cats raid WILD rabbit nests all the time the mother rabbit just gets out of the way she usually doesnt even "attempt" to stop the cat Im sure many domestic rabbits would though

timwootton said:
Quite bizarre! - But the snake seemed to know it had met its match and made directly for the tree. Now think about this - the snake (a rattlesnake, more than likely - and far more at home on the ground) recognised its attacker was unable to climb trees and made for this safe haven. It would have been really interesting if the snake had the OPTION of going down a burrow or popping up a tree - did it know its attacker was a rabbit? - What I mean is, is this behaviour (rabbit attacking snake) more common than we think?
A very interesting question. Maybe the rabbit was territorial?

Last edited by a moderator:
rabbit vs snake

MlZad said:
A very interesting question. Maybe the rabbit was territorial?
The video was a bit grainy, however a rattlesnake of that size would have easily dispatched that rabbit with one bite. Thick fur or not. Someone stated the tail was "rattling", many species of colubrids mimic rattlesnakes ie - bull, gopher, pine, fox, and so on. I would guess this was a goper snake, judging by the "south west" accent of the 2 men speaking. Bull and pine snakes are east and south, however pine snakes occur in Florida, but are boldly patterned in black and white.

Grayboelen said:
The video was a bit grainy, however a rattlesnake of that size would have easily dispatched that rabbit with one bite. Thick fur or not. Someone stated the tail was "rattling", many species of colubrids mimic rattlesnakes ie - bull, gopher, pine, fox, and so on. I would guess this was a goper snake, judging by the "south west" accent of the 2 men speaking. Bull and pine snakes are east and south, however pine snakes occur in Florida, but are boldly patterned in black and white.
I know that some other species mimmick the tail action, but if you look at the tail closely (from the 12th second to the 14 second), you can se the tail looks like it has a rattle on it (watched the film again myself, to double check...). Mabe the bite that did connect was a dry bite, or maybe the snake used up its supply? I know that rattlers have a strong venom, but surelly takes even this one more than 59 seconds to kill a rabbit that size...?

MlZad said:
... you can see the tail rattleing, which can meen only one thing: it's a rattler. ... I'd say that the rabbit has something in common with groundsquirrels- an immunity to rattler venom...

Many species of non-venoumous snake "rattle" their tails as warning....

I can not ID the snake from the video, but the shape (long & thin) looks more like a corn or gopher snake than a rattler (I hope an expert can verify)...

To my knowledge, rabbits/hares do not have immunity to snake venom as do some ground squirrel species...

Also... just because the "rabbit" appears to be a natural "wild type" color, doesn't mean that the rabbit is a wild rabbit.

As a kid, a friends "rabbit" (Califonia Giant Hare) used to "beat up" the neighborhood dogs...

Interesting behavior - thanks for the video

I can not ID the snake from the video, although my money would be on gopher or similar non-venomous colubrid. Apart from the general shape of the snake, and the fact that the rabbit didn't seem effected by the venom, the way the snake readily climbed a tree to escape seems to suggest a species more inclined to climbing than a Rattlesnake.
Also, wouldn't a large rattlesnake in a backyard be quickly killed (shot) in the rural American South West? I would like to think not!

I am far from an expert on American reptiles and would be interested to know the true identity of snake in the video.

As I mentioned earlyer, I'm not an expert on rattler venom, but I think it would take even one that big less than a minute to kill a rabbit this size, even to start affecting it in a way that it can't move properly...

On the climbing issue...
...given the density of the branches, the snake doesn't have to be an expert climber to climb onto that tree...

Snakes are willing to do anything if it can help them survive.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back