• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wild or Escaped Duck in South Africa? (1 Viewer)

Keanumrc

Hi all

This single male Knob-billed Duck has been hanging around on a suburban dam in Pretoria, South Africa, for at least 5 years. Although they are rarely reported as nomadic wanderers from the the wider area, wild Knob-billed Ducks are pretty much unheard of within the city. I've only ever seen it from afar, but recently got hold of this photo courtesy of Pieter Cronje and I'm now wondering if that left wing is pinioned, making it an escapee? There have been previous escapees here before - from Ringed Teal to Vulturine Guineafowl... Any other comments regarding this bird are also welcome - thanks in advance!

P.S. Personally, would you tick an escapee that is an indigenous species?

Attachments

• Knob-billed Duck.jpg
    Knob-billed Duck.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 46
It's a Knob-billed Duck. I saw them in Botswana, so it does belong there. Sasol guide page 76.

Edit: apologies I didn't read the full text of your post, and thought you just wanted an id. The range map in Sasol does appear further North. Put there deliberately? Escape seems likely.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back