• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help identify lizard and snake on Cozumel Island Mexico (1 Viewer)

canadagurl123

My family and I went to Mexico during the 2nd week of Feburary. My dad and I spent a day on Cozumel Island looking for endemic bird species and while we were there we saw this lizard and snake. The lizard was about 9 inches including tail and the snake was about 6-7 feet long any help would be great in identifying these

Attachments

• DSCF0123.JPG
    DSCF0123.JPG
    132.9 KB · Views: 1,122
  • DSCF0173.JPG
    DSCF0173.JPG
    69.3 KB · Views: 506
Well, based on what I could see on this snake picture, it's a slender snake that has a tail that is around 1/4 of whole body length. Looks like it has a a pattern on the head? Also looks like it has keeled belly scales (if I saw correctly), which indicates that it's a good climber.
Now, I'm not an expert on Mexican snakes, but I love a snake ID challenge! I might be able to find what species it is, but I need a better picture (of the head at least) if you have it...
I'll try to find something on the internet, I'll let you know when I do...

On the lizard, I can't help you with that.

They both look very cute, though...

The lizard is a Cozumel Island Whiptail (Aspidocelis cozumela) which is endemic to the island. Can't be sure about the snake though. It looks like it could be some type of Racer, but I can't tell from that photo.

OK I wasn't able to find anything myself, but if you don't mind, I can ask people on a herp forum that I'm a member of, most of them are from North America, so maybe they can help...?

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back