• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

shoveler x ? Uk (1 Viewer)

eagle33

Craig Shaw
Siddick ponds this morniong.
shoveler x Blue-wing teal or Shoveler x Cinnamon Teal...
Or Something else?
Thanks all

Attachments

• Shoveler-cross1.jpg
    Shoveler-cross1.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 162
  • Shoveler-cross.jpg
    Shoveler-cross.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 460
  • Shoveler-cross2.jpg
    Shoveler-cross2.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 379
  • Shoveler-cross3.jpg
    Shoveler-cross3.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 103
It looks halfway between a BW Teal and a Shoveler, the beak isn't heavy enough to be an Australian Shoveler, and IMO this looks good for a hybrid.

It does look pretty similar to the Australian Shoveler that I came across back in March in my area - you got a much better photo though.

Attachments

• IMG_2956ao.JPG
    IMG_2956ao.JPG
    77.1 KB · Views: 159
By doing a very quick Google-search I found this:

http://www.fugler.no/bilder/spesial/20030609.htm

The relevant part of the caption freely translated:
"This hybrid shows many common features with Australasian Duck Anas rynchotis, but the fine dotting on an otherwise grey breast, the smaller bill and the dark eye suggest the involvement of Blue-winged Teal."

one more
Does the dark eye rule out Australasian Shoveler

Attachments

• Shoveler-cross8.jpg
    Shoveler-cross8.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 121
Last edited:
Eagle 33

your bird is certainly a hybrid BW Teal x Northern Shoveler; the dark eye is indeed one characteristic to rule out Anas rhynchotis: also teh breast pattern is batter fore hybrd bluewinged x shoveler than for rhynchotis.

dificult in your case IanF, but are you sure that your bird is indeed Australian shoveler? It looks small compared to the tufted duck and the bill does also look a bit more delicat than I´d expect for rhynchotis , and there is no hint of a yellow eye visible (I am not able to id it safely fronm this photo but my gut feeling is also hybrid BW Teal x shoveler here)--any more photos of that one?

Regards, Jörn

Eagle 33, concerning your bird

for cinammon x shoveler the brest would be more reddish and less spotted..also that would show an orange or reddish eye..

Eagle 33, concerning your bird

for cinammon x shoveler the brest would be more reddish and less spotted..also that would show an orange or reddish eye..

Joern and all Many thanks. My first impression was Shoveler x Blue winged teal.
Thanks for confirming that for me.

Craig

....................dificult in your case IanF, but are you sure that your bird is indeed Australian shoveler? It looks small compared to the tufted duck and the bill does also look a bit more delicat than I´d expect for rhynchotis , and there is no hint of a yellow eye visible (I am not able to id it safely fronm this photo but my gut feeling is also hybrid BW Teal x shoveler here)--any more photos of that one?

Regards, Jörn

It's just a suggested ID from the photos. No more photos I'm afriad. This was taken close on dusk. A few of us tried to locate it agin in better lighting on subsequent days but it's not been seen again.

It's not beyond the realms of impossibilities that it could even be the same bird!

Hi,

Having seen this bird over the weekend I would agree that it is most likely a Northern Shoveler x Blue-winged Teal hybrid. I have to admit my rather uneducated initial impression was that of a New Zealand Shoveler. It is amazing how similar these hybrids can be to the latter species. However with a bit more knowledge the structure, size and plumage/eye subtleties are fairly clear.
Going back to the eclipse drake Blue-winged Teal that was in Durham earlier this year. There were some people mooting the possibilty that the bird may have been infact a New Zealand Shoveler or hybrid Blue-winged Teal x Northern Shoveler. Clearly compared to the Cumbria bird and a typical New Zealand Shoveler the Durham birds size and structure was very different!

Regards
Tristan

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back