• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Colleges/Universities for Ornithology or Environmental Biology (1 Viewer)

Does anybody know the names of any universities/colleges that study:

1. Ornithology
2. Environmental Biology

In or near the Ayrshire area of Scotland?

I would also appreciate any information on ornithology courses.

Thank you very much for any contributions!

Of course it's nowhere near Ayrshire, but Cornell University (Utica, NY, USA) has a wonderful ornithology department. They also have great ornithology home study course.

Eagle Owl said:
Does anybody know the names of any universities/colleges that study:

1. Ornithology
2. Environmental Biology

In or near the Ayrshire area of Scotland?

I would also appreciate any information on ornithology courses.

Thank you very much for any contributions!

Ornithology courses are few and far between but have a look at

www.biosciences.bham.ac.uk/tpd/ornithology.htm

These are very good and recognised courses.

The CertHE is 1st year BSc and the DipHE is 2nd year BSc....they are also working towards offering an MSc in Ornithology.

paj

Last edited:
Don't think there's any ornithology courses in Ayrshire apart from some intrductory small ones now and again.
Try Scottish Agricultural College, Auchincruive Ayr.They do Countryside /environment courses as does The Barony College Dumfries.

Thanks for the contributions. If possible does anyone know of any ornithology courses anywhere in scotland, forget about just ayrshire.
Thank you,

Eagle Owl, I suggest again that you look at the HOME STUDY ornithology course from Cornell. It's well-known, well-regarded and can be done anywhere.

Beverlybaynes said:
Of course it's nowhere near Ayrshire, but Cornell University (Utica, NY, USA) has a wonderful ornithology department. They also have great ornithology home study course.

Just googled onto Cornell's website...a more confusing one!!
Where do they hide the Home Study Courses???
and the Ornithology Dept...

I tried and failed...maybe a link would be helpful??????
Thanks

Ornithology courses are few and far between, UCAS, the Universities and Colleges Admissions thingy-people only list two courses for ornithology:

The University of Hull offers a BSc in Biology with Ornithology

Myerscough College offers some sort of qualification in Ecology and Conservation Management-Ornithology

You might do better to search for zoology courses on the ucas website: www.ucas.com and then look at individual universities/colleges to see how many offer ornithology in some sort of measure. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be much, most places offering just zoology at first degree level.

I agree with nickderry that you are probably better off looking for a more general course that suits your needs. To be a good ornithologist you have to have a good understanding biology in general, as the whole biology of birds is tied to the rest of the environment around them. Some universities offer Zoology or Biology courses where you have quite a lot of choice about the courses you take. For example, I did a Zoology degree at Cardiff Uni, but I hated biochemistry, physiology and all that stuff. By choosing the right courses, my final year was mostly ecology, evolutionary biology and behaviour - a lot of which was related to ornithology.

Tom

The only suiting option is University of Glasgow: College of Medical, Veterinary & Life Sciences for Master's degree. Close but not exactly Ornithological Department. Maybe can be of more help.

Try Aberdeen University - they have a team headed by Dr. Martin Collinson, famous for his DNA work on lots of UK rarities :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back