• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ID please, Gower, Wales (1 Viewer)

gowerboy

Saw this bird on a steep cliff the other evening. I first thought juv cormorant then noticed the feet and bill when I looked on the PC. Poor pic due to high winds and leaning over the cliff edge;)

Attachments

• unknown.jpg
    unknown.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 218
Sorry Tideliner, this is the only shot worth posting. Pic was taken at around 200' in VERY strong wind whilst looking over a cliff edge.

Cortonbirds, what about the feet? I was told by a few people that juv shags have black legs and feet like corms, but the bird is the right size......

looks weird to me.....but if lots of (better)birders have said it is a shag then im probably wrong:-O

I agree that it really doesn't make you think shag (missus!) straight away. However, with so many others saying so I forced another look and agree. Just odd lighting and posture but it does appear to have a long tail and the feet do appear to be webbed 'on the inside' if you know what I mean. Well done to those who saw shag in this bird: It was certainly not my first thought.

Ken

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back