• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bumblebees, London WWT, 1st July (1 Viewer)

mathare

My habit of photographing things I have no idea what they are continues. But in a break with recent tradition I have had a stab at identifying them myself. This time bumblebees...

1. Tree bumblebee (Bombus hypnorum)
2 & 3. Buff-tailed bumblebee (Bombus terristris)
4 & 5. Red-tailed bumblebee (Bombus lapidarius)

Can someone confirm or correct please?

Thanks
Mat

Attachments

• P1030149.JPG
    P1030149.JPG
    658.1 KB · Views: 36
  • P1030154.JPG
    P1030154.JPG
    531.8 KB · Views: 45
  • P1030159.JPG
    P1030159.JPG
    729.2 KB · Views: 52
  • P1030160.JPG
    P1030160.JPG
    828.8 KB · Views: 39
  • P1030161.JPG
    P1030161.JPG
    918.8 KB · Views: 37
One more - and this one confused me. I thought it was a white-tailed bumblebee (Bombus lucorum) but it seems to have one more white stripe than that species shows on the Bumblebee Conservation Trust website so I am doubting my ID.

Can anyone sort me out please?

Mat

Attachments

• P1030203.JPG
    P1030203.JPG
    500.6 KB · Views: 44
  • P1030205.JPG
    P1030205.JPG
    532.7 KB · Views: 54
  • P1030210.JPG
    P1030210.JPG
    412.6 KB · Views: 41
Not sure on the one in the second post but I'd have thought the Buff-taled in the first post is more likely White-tailed given the very crisp demarkation between the black and white? The Tree Bumble is definitely right as is the Red-tailed

A new camera & lens means that I am going through the same process. I think that a new Field Guide may be required. Drawings seem essential. Comparisons with photos/online just add to the frustration for some of the species.

Good luck in sorting out your cuckoos.

Thanks everyone. I can see #2 & #3 in the first post as white-tailed but I am still struggling with the probably cuckoo bee. Any pointers welcome as I can't match it up to anything on the BBCT website

Thanks everyone. I can see #2 & #3 in the first post as white-tailed but I am still struggling with the probably cuckoo bee. Any pointers welcome as I can't match it up to anything on the BBCT website

Are you on Facebook? There's an excellent bee ID group on there where I'm sure you'd get a definitive answer

Are you on Facebook? There's an excellent bee ID group on there where I'm sure you'd get a definitive answer

I'm not, no. I don't really do the whole social media thing. I'll keep looking on and off but ultimately if it goes unidentified it won't be the end of the world. I do appreciate the efforts though - thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back