• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Autofocus with a telescope (1 Viewer)

Actualy, for Nikon they all work the same. I used them all (I think), from tagotech's, leitax and Jimfinance. I've never seen a diference, not in looks or working.

BTW, while we're discussing this, I had a very good experience with the dandelions on my D90, they always worked perfectly, but I've tried them with a D7000 and got very disapointed... they're really don't work the same, the AF trap focus is not as precise as with the D90 (or D80 or any other basic nikon I tried the dandelions with). The D7000 still takes the shot even if the focus point is off a bit, an it's off by enough to wreck an image.
I have no ideia if there was an issue with that particular D7000 or it's just the way its AF works, but with that camera dandelions are nearly useless.

I've also seen in some of the japanese pages people using a reducer and flattener before the TC16A, it could work.

Actually, what I've been planning for a while now is using a reducer to make an AF adapter for m4/3. With the phase detect systems of DSLRs I was a bit affraid that the AF wasn't acurate so I never spent money on it. But with contrast detection that shouldn't be an issue...I think. I'll let you know once I tried it ;)

Actually, what I've been planning for a while now is using a reducer to make an AF adapter for m4/3. With the phase detect systems of DSLRs I was a bit affraid that the AF wasn't acurate so I never spent money on it. But with contrast detection that shouldn't be an issue...I think. I'll let you know once I tried it ;)

A project for the weekend Fernando;P

I seem to remember that one of the Japanese say like you Fernando with regards to Dandelion chip - it is not of much use on the newer/better bodies

the "Photography using 'Astro' telescopes" forum, must be the coolest photo related forum ever - the skill andinnovative thinking from you guys is just amazing - Love it.

As I understand it, The K-5 will give you focus confirmation and focus trapping with MF lenses, as if they had a chip on them. That means, no need for a chipped adapter with that body. You dial in the focal length and aperture and that is it. As I understand it, the D7000 is the same, except that you can program up to 9 MF lenses into it., So I assume that when you put one on, you just select the pre-adjusted focal length and aperture and you are good to go, green light, beep, focus trapping and all. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.
My guess is that this will be a normal feature among newer bodies and will no doubt work better than and thus eliminate the need for third party chips.

Last edited:
I don't know about Pentax, but Nikon disables focus priority for manual focus lenses. You'll still get a light confirmation, but no trap focus, the same as with all nikon bodies. The only difference with the D7000 to the basic bodies is that it has metering with MF lenses.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back