• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Juvenile Cliff Swallow? (eastern U.S) (1 Viewer)

wvbirdwatcher

Does this look like a juvenile Cliff Swallow? It was on the utility wire above my driveway at 6:30 this morning, June 4th. I live in WV, about 30 minutes south of Cumberland, MD, and it was unseasonably cold this morning when I took this photo -- about 40 F (8 C). I haven't seen any Cliff Swallows around here this spring -- either adults or juveniles I see the hint of a white triangle on its forehead, which makes me think "Cliff Swallow". It was not perching with any other birds. Neither did I see any adult Cliff Swallows in the vicinity. Thanks in advance and sorry for the poor quality of the photos.

Attachments

• june-4-19-juvenile-cliff-swallow-1.jpg
    june-4-19-juvenile-cliff-swallow-1.jpg
    410.7 KB · Views: 21
  • june-4-19-juvenile-cliff-swallow-2.jpg
    june-4-19-juvenile-cliff-swallow-2.jpg
    402.7 KB · Views: 19
Wow, thank you so much, Lou, Birdmeister, and Cardinal 12! You all are so astute. I never would have guessed an adult. But come to think of it, it was such an unseasonably cold morning that the bird had its feathers puffed out, which made me think "juvenile". I will look for more of these guys. I had them nesting on my porch in 2013-14 in an old barn swallow nest, which they had refurbished. I noticed during those two summers that the juveniles had dots on their faces, so that's what confused me this time. Thanks again!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back