• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Bird Man (The Extraordinary Story of John Gould). (1 Viewer)

Andrew

wibble wibble
Just finished reading this book and found it absolutely fascinating as well as engrossing. It is about the 'British Audubon' or should I say that John James Audubon is the 'American Gould'. Whilst Audubon is known for the producing the Birds of America, Gould surpassed that feat by producing monographs and complete guides to various bird families, countries and Europe. It is a story of a man rising from nothing in the Victorian Zoology boom from a taxidermist to ornithologist of the highest repute. He was not a wholly respectable character as he was very cold and shrewd in business. Many enemies were made and people's feelings hurt by this fella. He is far removed from modern ornithology (as everyone was in the Victorian times) as basically he was of the motto 'What's hit is history, what's missed is mystery'. He amassed a vast collection of skins with glee from all corners of the globe but ornithology owes a lot to him. Not the same can be said for many birds as well as exinct species as he probably fueled the desire for rare bird feathers (Hummers) to create hats and jewelry. He provided a big nudge to Darwin towards the thinking of 'The Origin of the Species' with his comments on his Galapagos Finches as well as other birds.

I assure you that you will like this book greatly and will read it as quickly as you can without putting it down.

It is written by Isabella Tree and the ISBN is 071262158-X

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Andrew,
I'm fascinated by John Gould. He wasn't a very pleasant chap, but fascinating all the same. I read the book in its first edition and was amazed by how he seemed to view his work as much of a money making exercise as a scientific enterprise. Having said that he did work with some of the best bird artists of the Victorian age including Edward Lear and Joseph Wolf. One of my most prized posessions is an original Joseph Wolf lithograph of a Kestrel.
By the way I have a full 5 volume original set of Gould's Birds of Europe in the safe at work. If you or any BFers are in Plymouth and want to see them just let me know.

Darrell

Darrell,

That is a generous offer, I am sure I will one day take up the offer and come down on the train to view it. I was interested to read of Lear and Wolf's polarised attitudes to Gould. Lear was hurt by his coldness but Wolf was more than a match for Gould. So much that at times Gould made an effort to appease Wolf!

Believe me to remain,
My dear sir,
Your most obedient servant,
Andrew!

Very intresting, well worth a look it would seem.

I am always interested in the historical side to the natural world with charcters like him so may well look this out. Thanks for the info Andrew.

Spiranthes orchid still doing ok I hope?

Steve,

I am interested in factual accounts of ornithology too and am waiting for the paperback of 'Audubon's Elephant' whihc is an account of Audubon's quest to publish the Birds of America.

Yes, it is still going strong but has grown very slowly. I have ensured it did not get too soft by keeping it out all winter in the porch to make it hardier. Just a couple spoonfulls of water a week. Will PM you a photo soon. Your's doing okay?

Yes THEY :bounce: are doing fine. Slow indeed when young but starting to pull away now. Sandy acid loam with occasional flooding is their natural habitat so give them a good soak now and again so that the root tips dont shrivel. Hopefully should produce a lovely white spike of heavily scented flowers this year :t:

Ah, I am watering them wrong. Thanks for the heads up. I shall soak them now. I just realised I might not be able to PM a photo so I will post a small one here for you Steve. (Talk about digressing! Haha)

Attachments

• spiranthes.jpg
    spiranthes.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 186
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back