• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Good old days (1 Viewer)

eastwood

Picking up my old book "The OM System Lens Handbook" published in 1984, There is a bunch of goodies.
A 250 f2 Tele
A 350 f2.8 Tele
A 400 f6.3
A 500 f8 Reflex
A 600 f6.5
and a 1000 f11.
Here are the photos of the first 2 Monsters

Attachments

• scan0016_1.jpg
    scan0016_1.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 103
  • scan0017_1.jpg
    scan0017_1.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:
Here's a (somewhat dog-eared!) shot of the lens line-up from the original lens book issued with the OM1 in 1973.

Some of the proposed lenses never made it into production including a 400mm F4.5 and a tiny 300mm F6.3.

Although they introduced newer lenses along the way, including the above 250mm and 350mm, they never upgraded the designs of their other teles. The 400mm F6.3 was always relatively expensive but was still only a double helicoid model (not internal-focus) and close-focus remained at 5 metres rather than the 4m or less of their rivals. The rack-focus 600mm and 1000mm models were even worse, with minimum focus of 11m and 30m respectively.

Attachments

• zuiko-lenses-1.jpg
    zuiko-lenses-1.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 102
If you were to use that 350mm 2.8, people would think you were using a Canon (and a cannon!).

i have the fast Zuiko 50 mm/f 1.2 which was superb with a combination of extention tubes (7, 15 and 25 any two of them) to use with ultra fine grain films like the fuji chrome velvia for macro shots. yes EW the good old days.

when i had a long day trip to Victoria in British colobia back in 1996, my battery went down but i was still able to shot as my incredible OM4 had a capability of working at shutter speed 1/60 without battery. something that you wont find in now a dadys cameras, unless one company decides to put solar battery.

Here's a (somewhat dog-eared!) shot of the lens line-up from the original lens book issued with the OM1 in 1973.

Some of the proposed lenses never made it into production including a 400mm F4.5 and a tiny 300mm F6.3.

Although they introduced newer lenses along the way, including the above 250mm and 350mm, they never upgraded the designs of their other teles. The 400mm F6.3 was always relatively expensive but was still only a double helicoid model (not internal-focus) and close-focus remained at 5 metres rather than the 4m or less of their rivals. The rack-focus 600mm and 1000mm models were even worse, with minimum focus of 11m and 30m respectively.

Interesting information, Adey. Thanks.

i have the fast Zuiko 50 mm/f 1.2 which was superb with a combination of extention tubes (7, 15 and 25 any two of them) to use with ultra fine grain films like the fuji chrome velvia for macro shots. yes EW the good old days.

when i had a long day trip to Victoria in British colobia back in 1996, my battery went down but i was still able to shot as my incredible OM4 had a capability of working at shutter speed 1/60 without battery. something that you wont find in now a dadys cameras, unless one company decides to put solar battery.

50 f1.2! A real good stuff.

For goodness sake don't go wandering down memory lane - it's a One-Way street and you'll never find your way back to the present!

Adrian

I originally had a secondhand OM1n with a 50mmf1.4; liked it so much I sold my autofocus Minolta gear and got an OM4Ti ...remember the wonderful multi spot metering? Combined with the 24mm shift it produced some stunning cibachromes from around the London Docks which I still have on the wall at work.
The collection of glass grew to nearly a dozen, I enjoyed using the system so much. I used to browse the lens catalogue and dream of that 350mm.
Remember I also had the 50f1.2, 35 shift, a 21, 85, and a 135mm with extension tube for macro. The 100mm f2 was a lovely portrait lens for parties, though outdoors used to carry the 180 f2.8 for reach. Seem to remember a 40mm too?
Selling it all was a wrench though I made a profit having bought everything mint used, wanted and got a Mamiya 7 which I never enjoyed using despite the fabulous quality of the trannies.
Good old days indeed.

Still got the OM gear - after 30 years of OMs all a 'bit worn' after who knows how many thousands of pictures with never a fault - couldn't bear to part with it.

One thing has definitely changed and that is the regular servicing so that all the shutters on a shoot gave identical exposures - something that I don't have to worry about anymore.

Always carried an manual OM1 as backup though - while a single mechanical speed is better than nothing - a proper manual fallback when you a re a long way from home - up a ladder - at night in a blizzard with dying batteries - you get the picture...

Now if they could shrink the E-3 and its lenses down to OM4 size without losing functionality etc..., ther E-P1 is excellent but not really quite there yet.

Still got the OM gear - after 30 years of OMs all a 'bit worn' after who knows how many thousands of pictures with never a fault - couldn't bear to part with it.

One thing has definitely changed and that is the regular servicing so that all the shutters on a shoot gave identical exposures - something that I don't have to worry about anymore.

Always carried an manual OM1 as backup though - while a single mechanical speed is better than nothing - a proper manual fallback when you a re a long way from home - up a ladder - at night in a blizzard with dying batteries - you get the picture...

Now if they could shrink the E-3 and its lenses down to OM4 size without losing functionality etc..., ther E-P1 is excellent but not really quite there yet.

A very strange emotional complex - I also couldn't part my old gears (not OM though). OM cameras were really famous in the film era. (besides, olympus also makes microscopes). Hope it can catch up soon with their digital line up,

You can of course use your old OM lenses on your E system camera with a £5 adapter.

OM 50mm f1.8 on my E510 and extension tube got me this..

Attachments

• wasp.JPG
    wasp.JPG
    147.8 KB · Views: 122
I had a couple of OM1s over the years, I liked to be able to change the focussing screen, I still used to covet and handle it as I loved the feel of it but it deserved to be used and I no longer used it so I flogged it on ebay, its substitute now is an E330, a strange camera that does get used from time to time but unlike the OM it is a bulky heavy beast. Oddly my E410 has a lot of the "feel" of an OM, if it had an interchangeable focussing screen, it would be 90% there. I do keep promising myself a 25mm pancake lens.

I have also got a Konica Minolta Dynax 7D, a lovely heavy chunk to handle, sadly being only 6 MP it is rather outclassed these days.

I did try the f8 500 with a 2x convertor on an E-1 a year or so back - must have a play with an E-3 next year (when the sun shines). You need lots of light, high ISO and a very rigid tripod (and preferably no wind - the equivalent of a 2000mm f16 is not the easiest of lenses to use!)

The E-410 in an e.r. case with the pancake was sold as a 'special' about a year ago. unfortunately the case dispite its cost is not a particularly good fit (looks nice though). The lens/ camera combination itself handles well though it would be nice if the pancake was closer in focal length to the 17mm on the EP-1

Never owned an E-330 but an E-300 got a nice shot of a minute field mouse hiding under a leaf below the feeders - one of my favourites, though its one of those shots where the content overcomes some of the obvious technical problems in getting it.

This thread prompted me to dig out my favourite of the cameras which I have owned.

The Olympus XA

I think this is a masterpiece of design with a great specification:
Coupled rangefinder
Aperture priority semi-automatic operation with viewfinder shutter speed display
A superb Zuiko 2.8 lens
Exposure compensation
ASA 800 film speed
Matching detachable A11 flash unit

This was all contained in a truly compact body with a sliding lens cover which acted as an on/off switch and in the closed position allowed the camera to slip into a shirt pocket.

It was a favourite with professional photographers as a back up to their SLRs, which could be carried in the pocket at all times. In the right hands (not mine) the results were spectacular. I seem to recall David Bailey featuring prominently in the advertising campaigns.

I attach photos which show the lens cover in the open and shut position. The aperture control at the side of the lens. The range finder lever below the lens. The swivelling three position lever on the base which controlled exposure compensation, battery check and self timer. In the latter mode the the lever was at right angles to the body and acted as a stabilizer.

I never use it now but would be reluctant to part with it and occasionally take it out to appreciate its wonderful tactile form.

Ron

Attachments

• Front-shut.jpg
    Front-shut.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 75
  • Front-open.jpg
    Front-open.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 75
  • Front-flash.jpg
    Front-flash.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 69
  • Top-1.jpg
    Top-1.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 71
  • Bottom-1.jpg
    Bottom-1.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
Congratulations you clearly look after your cameras better than I do, mine are distinctly used.

One of my all time favourites too , one word of warning - keep it dry and exercise the aperture control from time to time leaving it wide open when you put it away. The blades are mechanically closed but open under a rather lightweight spring pressure. They can stick and there is no easy way that I have found of sorting it - the casing comes off easily but the mechanics are inside the lens module.

Good points very quiet and sensitive shutter, small and an absolutely brilliant lens well up to slr standards of the day.

Must have an old timers competition some day - though if you want to photograph birds with this they would need to be quite big and passive!

J

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back