• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Mouse needed-advice please (1 Viewer)

christineredgate

Winner of the Copeland Wildlife Photographer of th
I will briefly explain what happened.I was using the magnetic lassoo( misspelt-methinks!!!) to outline a subject to copy and paste(Xmas card),but,each time I joined up at the finish,the marching ants,slid off the outline of the bird,onto the main body and just joined into a circle.I spent hrs trying,eventually had a go with the Magic wand,and it was okay ,but not as good as the magnetic lassoo.I had a try on the laptop,and using the touchpad,and firmly pressing the left button underneath ,that was fine,quite easy in fact.
But ,I do need a new mouse.This one does keep sticking,and yes ,I do clean on a regular basis.I once had a cordless one,but it would suddenly take off to the top of the screen on its own,very strange,but that was several years ago.
So,please can anyone recommend a good mouse.I will be ordering from Staples(free xmas cake!!!!),as I need some print cartridges.
Cordless or corded,whatever is the best,easy to use.
thankyou.
Christine.

I swear by a trackball Christine, the one I use is a Logitech Marble Marble ( second one in the list HERE). I find them much more satisfying to use than a normal mouse, no having to reposition your arm. I'm now pretty adept at controlling the cursor with just a flick of the finger.
For graphics use have you thought about a Graphics Tablet? I have one of those which I use when drawing onto the computer, you use it just like a pencil. Iwould imagine it would be easier to control the magnetic lasso with a graphics tablet than a mouse.

Same as Keith, I use a graphics tablet when doing Photshop work it has a more natural feel and you can use the pressure sensitive feature to alter brush characteristics as you work. I still use a normal (optical) mouse for "normal" computing.

Thanks,Keith and mono.I don't think my hands are supple enough and sufficiently steady to use a Graphics tablet,the marble looks interesting,Keith,thankyou for the link.

Thanks,Keith and mono.I don't think my hands are supple enough and sufficiently steady to use a Graphics tablet,the marble looks interesting,Keith,thankyou for the link.

Hi Christine,
I too recomend the tablets for photoshopping etc, as you may know i have severe problems in my hands due to RSI and I have found both the trackball mice and the tablet/pens are very easy to use. You can alter the settings on the pens to suit your hand pressure/speed etc and basically i rest my hand on the tablet and only have to move my fingers slightly to do most tasks and it never causes me any extra pain discomfort, if you can try one out you will be amazed at how easy they are to use and you won't use anything else!
I have a Wacom but you can buy lots starting at around £15.00 on Ebay/Amazon etc, go for one where the pen doesn't need batteries ie Wacom.
My hands are very shaky and i cannot even use a normal biro pen but can manage the tablet
I'm sure if you can take great photo's like yours then you will easily master a tablet (just ask Moses):-O
Brian

Thanks ,Brian.I have purchased the Logitech Wireless Mouse M305.must say it is so smooth and quick.No set up needed.Just plug the USB fixture into a USB port,and off you go.not a re chargeable battery,but the mouse does have an off switch when not in use.So very quick and smooth,and very easy to use..But,I did have a try with the magnetic lasso tool,and had the same problem as before ,very strange.
Also.with this mouse .you can leave your wired mouse attached,to use,if the battery suddenly expires.A very good fit in the hand,10/10.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back