• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rio Claro, Colombia, March 2019 (1 Viewer)

kb57

Europe
Neotropical neophyte here, so please bear with me...

The following pics were taken on the Mulata Trail, Rio Claro on 15th March.

#1: I feel I ought to be able to identify this, but just cannot find it in either of the books I'm using (the Colombia bird app / McMullen)

#2 & 3: Is this an Antioquia bristle-tyrant, or something much commoner? It's in the right habitat and location, but I'm aware other small yellow flycatchers are available in Colombia, like Forest Elaenia...

#4 & 5: This was taken just outside the forest at the top of the Mulata Trail...closest I can get would be a Blue-black Grosbeak, but as far as I can tell there are no eBird records for this species for Rio Claro, so again I'm perhaps missing something more obvious

Apologies for some of the heavily cropped and not exactly sharp images, and thanks in advance for any help!

Attachments

• DSC_1530 (800x685).jpg
    DSC_1530 (800x685).jpg
    427.5 KB · Views: 31
  • DSC_1590 (800x668).jpg
    DSC_1590 (800x668).jpg
    372.7 KB · Views: 29
  • DSC_1593 (800x670).jpg
    DSC_1593 (800x670).jpg
    396.6 KB · Views: 26
  • DSC_1558 (800x651).jpg
    DSC_1558 (800x651).jpg
    410.1 KB · Views: 29
  • DSC_1561 (800x696).jpg
    DSC_1561 (800x696).jpg
    393.5 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
I see the last bird as having a curved culmen. If that is correct, then either a seedeater or blue-black grassquit.

Niels

I'd say Grey-headed Tanager for #1
Blue-black Grosbeak looks OK for #4,5
Thanks, the picture of Grey-headed Tanager on my 'All Birds Colombia' app looks nothing like it (showing a white throat) but a quick check of Google Images shows you're spot on!

I see the last bird as having a curved culmen. If that is correct, then either a seedeater or blue-black grassquit.

Niels
Thanks, I can now see that blue-black grassquit seems the most likely on the basis of habitat and distribution - it was taken in a small bush in pasture land just outside the forest, whereas the grosbeak is described as a skulker of wet forest ravines - plenty of that habitat nearby, but not where I saw it. Don't think any of the seedeater options are in range either.

Thanks, the picture of Grey-headed Tanager on my 'All Birds Colombia' app looks nothing like it (showing a white throat) but a quick check of Google Images shows you're spot on!

Thanks, I can now see that blue-black grassquit seems the most likely on the basis of habitat and distribution - it was taken in a small bush in pasture land just outside the forest, whereas the grosbeak is described as a skulker of wet forest ravines - plenty of that habitat nearby, but not where I saw it. Don't think any of the seedeater options are in range either.

Bill is wrong shape for the grassquit - it would be much thinner, and it's rare to get a grassquit which is quite as neat black as this. I think this is thick-billed seed-finch

Neotropical neophyte here, so please bear with me...

The following pics were taken on the Mulata Trail, Rio Claro on 15th March.

#1: I feel I ought to be able to identify this, but just cannot find it in either of the books I'm using (the Colombia bird app / McMullen)

#2 & 3: Is this an Antioquia bristle-tyrant, or something much commoner? It's in the right habitat and location, but I'm aware other small yellow flycatchers are available in Colombia, like Forest Elaenia...

#4 & 5: This was taken just outside the forest at the top of the Mulata Trail...closest I can get would be a Blue-black Grosbeak, but as far as I can tell there are no eBird records for this species for Rio Claro, so again I'm perhaps missing something more obvious

Apologies for some of the heavily cropped and not exactly sharp images, and thanks in advance for any help!

not Antioqua bristle-tyrant in my opinion. Reasons include (e.g.) that species has a pale lower mandible.

Bill is wrong shape for the grassquit - it would be much thinner, and it's rare to get a grassquit which is quite as neat black as this. I think this is thick-billed seed-finch

Thanks, I'm pretty sure you've nailed it!

It appeared to be out of range on the All Birds Colombia app (= Birds of Northern S America) distribution maps, but a quick check of eBird shows it is actually quite regularly recorded at Rio Claro. Tail shape (rounded), colour (black, not blue-black) and I can maybe even see the little flash of white on the wing.

Anyone fancy a go at the flycatcher? I'm leaning strongly towards Forest Elaenia on the basis of white throat, width of wing bars and general structure, plus I can maybe detect the faintest hint of a white coronal stripe which I hadn't noticed in the field.

not Antioqua bristle-tyrant in my opinion. Reasons include (e.g.) that species has a pale lower mandible.
Thanks, was just replying to your last post, and had reluctantly drawn the same conclusion. Think it was wishful thinking on my part, the effort / reward ratio was fairly poor for my slog up that trail...

Forest Elaenia looks good to me

Thanks - I've had a look through some other small yellow flycatchers on eBird frequently recorded at that site (yellow-bellied Elaenia, Yellow-crowned Tyrannulet) and it does seem a better match for Forest Elaenia

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back