• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon 70-300mm on Panasonic DMC-G3 (1 Viewer)

Hobbes2

I am considering this combination but I'm afraid I have no idea how to attached the lens to the m4/3 body. I wondered if someone could please tell me what adapter I need, please?

Thanks
Hobbes

I would think

that should be able to get an adapter off EBay - just do a search

I do not think that the lens will auto focus

If you want to look at images taken with a G3 plus the 70 300mm Canon - I would think that if you search on the M43 Forum, (maybe under adapted lens), someone will have used that combination

a cheapie EF/m43 adaper like this one - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Canon-EOS...ns_caps_hoods_adaptors_ET&hash=item41608b15a3 would do the job but obviously you wouldn't get AF and would have no aperture control. What would it give you that the Panasonic 100-300 wouldn't?

Brilliant, thanks. To be frank, I'm not sure. I just seem to be having a lot of trouble with getting sharp shots at the moment and, at the long end, I do find it rather 'soft'. It may be that the image stabilisation system is playing up. Re: the Canon lens, I'll need to trial it before committing any finances. I'm hoping to borrow the lens for that purpose. I realise I'll lose auto-focus and aperture control. I'll have to see....
Thanks for your help,
Hobbes
P.S. Of course, it could be the G3 that's playing up rather than the lens....I'll have to test things out...

I would think

that should be able to get an adapter off EBay - just do a search

I do not think that the lens will auto focus

If you want to look at images taken with a G3 plus the 70 300mm Canon - I would think that if you search on the M43 Forum, (maybe under adapted lens), someone will have used that combination

Thanks Bill :t:

It's just occurred to me that I'd not only lose aperture and auto-focus control, I'd lose the image stabilisation of the lens as well. It's a non-starter. Oh well....
thanks
Hobbes

It's just occurred to me that I'd not only lose aperture and auto-focus control, I'd lose the image stabilisation of the lens as well. It's a non-starter. Oh well....
thanks
Hobbes

In M43 terms I think Olympus has OS in the body, (e.g. EP-1) and Panasonic in (some) lens, (not the shorter focal length lens)

I've tried longer adapted lens on M43 stuff and they just do not work for me - the dedicated M43 lens seem to be the way to go and the 100 -300mm Panasonic get really good reviews

(but personally I do not like the smaller sized M43 bodies with longer lenses - just my personal preference)

Last edited:
Hobbes, did you update the OIS on the pana lens?

Niels

Hi Niels
Yes I did. I honestly don't know if I was having these problems before the update or not. I might just be using it in different conditions?? Or, I might be expecting too much.....tricky. I guess I need to do some proper tests.
Thanks
Hobbes

In M43 terms I think Olympus has OS in the body, (e.g. EP-1) and Panasonic in (some) lens, (not the shorter focal length lens)

I've tried longer adapted lens on M43 stuff and they just do not work for me - the dedicated M43 lens seem to be the way to go and the 100 -300mm Panasonic get really good reviews

(but personally I do not like the smaller sized M43 bodies with longer lenses - just my personal preference)

Hi Bill
My experience with the 100-300mm on the G3 is that when the subject provides a full-frame shot, it's really excellent. But, if I need to crop into the image, the quality degrades very quickly with increasing distance from the subject. I need to do some proper tests to see what's going on....
Thanks
Hobbes

Hi Hobbes,
What is your typical shutter speeds? would subject movement be part of the equation?

Niels

Hi Bill
My experience with the 100-300mm on the G3 is that when the subject provides a full-frame shot, it's really excellent. But, if I need to crop into the image, the quality degrades very quickly with increasing distance from the subject. I need to do some proper tests to see what's going on....
Thanks
Hobbes

Are you using the small picture size to maximize the Extended Teleconverter option? If so, I find that pretty much eliminates the utility of cropping and enlarging. I think you have to choose one or the other. Personally, I like the extended TC setting and stick with it rather than relying on cropping and enlarging.

Jim

Hi Hobbes,
What is your typical shutter speeds? would subject movement be part of the equation?

Niels

Hi Niels
I've tried anything from 1/400th to /1200th with the same results. I guess I mainly shoot around 1/500th to 1/640th. Maybe I am expecting too much over large distances....
thanks for trying to help
Hobbes

Are you using the small picture size to maximize the Extended Teleconverter option? If so, I find that pretty much eliminates the utility of cropping and enlarging. I think you have to choose one or the other. Personally, I like the extended TC setting and stick with it rather than relying on cropping and enlarging.

Jim

Hi Jim
I shoot on the medium picture size (8MP) with TC. Maybe you're right about the use of the TC reducing the cropping factor post-processing. I get the feeling I'm expecting too much.... ah well
thanks
Hobbes

Hi Niels
Yes I did. I honestly don't know if I was having these problems before the update or not. I might just be using it in different conditions?? Or, I might be expecting too much.....tricky. I guess I need to do some proper tests.
Thanks
Hobbes

I wonder if the firmware was corrupted as the OIS has been working fantastically since I did the update. It might be worth reloading the latest firmware just in case.

Hi Jim
I shoot on the medium picture size (8MP) with TC. Maybe you're right about the use of the TC reducing the cropping factor post-processing. I get the feeling I'm expecting too much.... ah well
thanks
Hobbes

In that case, there are not many pixels left to start cropping from, so yes, you may be expecting too much.

Niels

I wonder if the firmware was corrupted as the OIS has been working fantastically since I did the update. It might be worth reloading the latest firmware just in case.

Good suggestion. I've updated the G3 body firmware and the lens firmware again so we'll see how that goes...
thanks everyone for your help
Hobbes

I believe there is an adaptor to allow EOS lenses to mount on m43 bodies and retain autofocus etc, but from memory it costs more than an entry level EOS body would, so you'd have to be pretty keen on m43 to bother.

I believe there is an adaptor to allow EOS lenses to mount on m43 bodies and retain autofocus etc, but from memory it costs more than an entry level EOS body would, so you'd have to be pretty keen on m43 to bother.

I've never seen or heard of one of these, any chance of a link?

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back