• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Another Blue or is it? - near Koszalin, Poland (1 Viewer)

DoghouseRiley

I was thinking that this was a female Common Blue, but it appears to be male? Is it an Argus of some sort?

Thanks, Gareth

Attachments

• image008.jpg
    image008.jpg
    1,022.9 KB · Views: 16
  • image009.jpg
    image009.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 11
  • image010.jpg
    image010.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 14
They have Northern Argus in this area too?

How high are you there because AFAIK, Northern is a synonym for Mountain Argus and again, AFAIK, the only low (sea) level populations are in Fenoscandia where I see it.

One of mine attached.

Attachments

• Mountain Argus 2.jpg
    Mountain Argus 2.jpg
    617.7 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
The place is called Krzekoszewo, middle of knowhere, edge of a mixed forest and farmland (non-intensive). My friend has a place there, about 4 or 5 football fields in size. Everywhere you walk, the insects are moving out of your way. The painted lady migration had just occurred, there must have been 200-300 tattered and work Painted Lady's around. Anyways, I can't find an altitude figure, it certainly isn't in the foothills of the mountains but from KSIB they have sightings in Szczecin that's still 100 miles away etc but altitude wise, it's probably nearer sea level.
The markings look very much like yours though. Gareth

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back