• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yangling near Xi'an (1 Viewer)

Joern Lehmhus

Hi ,

I will be in Yangling for a research cooperation for some days in November, and with a little chance have a day or two for Birding at one weekend. I have never before been in China and would like to know if there´s any location close by to go birding, what species to expect at this time and in this area?
(any chance for ducks and geese at all)?
Furthermore what book would be best? I have birds of east asia , is that suitable?
will only have binoculars with me.

Jörn

The best areas for specialities are probably the forest reserve at Foping or the Crested Ibis site at Huayang. They might require a bit of assistance in reaching and accessing. It's probably easiest to hire a guide but I don't know if there are any in Xi'an. There's a site near Yangling called Dabaishan Mountain. You can get some sense of what might be there from this:
https://ebird.org/barchart?r=L6297377
I don't know anything else about it though!

Birds of East Asia will cover most things but it doesn't actually cover Shaanxi so there will be some species missing. Mackinnon & Phillipps will cover the area, although it's out of date and not that great.

Dear Andrew,
thanks- sounds not too easy for somebody being in China for the first time.
The crsted ibis site would certainly be nice-but are ther birds there at that time of the year?

Dabaishan mountain has an intersting list but most observations seem to have been made in July, none in November?

Dear Andrew,
thanks- sounds not too easy for somebody being in China for the first time.
The crsted ibis site would certainly be nice-but are ther birds there at that time of the year?

Dabaishan mountain has an intersting list but most observations seem to have been made in July, none in November?

If you check here there are some November lists from the Crested Ibis site:
https://ebird.org/hotspot/L1028640/activity
Not huge numbers of species but a few interesting ones, particularly if you've not visited the region before.

I don't know what might be at Dabaishan in November but presumably most of the good resident birds e.g. pheasants, parrotbills should be around still. There might also be some additional wintering species e.g. thrushes and buntings. I presume the habitat is quite good, so it should be worth a visit if it's possible to get there.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back