• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which race of Reed bunting (1 Viewer)

Earnest lad

I took this photo last year in the Dobrujea region of Romania.
Please can anyone advise as to which race. Is it the paler "Eastern Race" that anyone can identify?

Attachments

• reed bunt.jpg
    reed bunt.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 73
I took this photo last year in the Dobrujea region of Romania.
Please can anyone advise as to which race. Is it the paler "Eastern Race" that anyone can identify?

One of the 'intermedia' group (bill size) of Reed Buntings, presumably tschusii on range, assuming its the local resident form which breeds Bulgaria, Rumania & north Black Sea coast.

Grahame

Thank you - it is so nice to learn these things.
If the British Reed bunting is Emberiza schoeniclus
Please may I enquire what is the other one's Latin name?

it's Emberiza schoeniclus tschusii.
'Races', or better: subspecies, are defined by the third name.
British reed bunting belongs to the nominate subspecies, thus: Emberiza schoeniclus schoeniclus

Dear Lou and Grahame
Thank you for kindly taking the trouble to clarify this fascinating subject.
I didn't know Reed buntings were so widespread, and with so many sub-species.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back