• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Alternative case for MM4 ED 50 (1 Viewer)

To my knowledge, the Opticron stay-on case is the only one available at present, which is unfortunate, as I certainly cannot recommend that case. I got one with my MM4 60 but no longer use it; my main gripes are that the case interferes with the fine focus wheel, and the eyepiece cover flaps around in the wind. I have enjoyed using my scope a lot more since ditching the cover. In wet conditions, I use a lightweight rain cover that I bought for my DSLR:

https://wildlifewatchingsupplies.co...ayer-ultra-light-all-in-one-camera-lens-cover

The C80.1.5 actually fits the MM4 60 quite well, although you have to pass your hand under the cover to reach the focus wheels. But this obviously provides no protection at all from knocks, and a rain cover isn't really necessary if using the SDL v2 which, like the scope, is fully waterproof. When transporting the scope in my rucksack, I use Domke lens wraps to protect it; a large one for the scope body and a smaller one over the (fitted) eyepiece.

GreenRooky,

I am not aware of an alternative to the Opticron stay-on cases.

However, I can recommend the Opticron green stay-on case I bought last month to go with my MM4 60 ED. I don’t know if they have changed the design since asp09’s comments in April 2020, but the flap over the focus wheels can easily be peeled back to give completely unobstructed access to the focus wheels. If you don’t like the flap sticking up, you can roll the flap back and use the popper on it to hold it down to another popper on top of the case just in front of the eyepiece.

The eyepiece cover is tethered to the case so it can’t drop off and get lost. There is a popper on both sides of the case where you can attach the eyepiece cover to stop it flapping in the wind if you need to. This means you can attach it to the left of the right side of the case so it doesn’t get in the way of whichever side your tripod head controls are.

The objective lens cover is also tethered to the case so it can’t drop of and get lost. It has a popper in the centre which you can attach to the popper under the case behind the objective lens if you don’t like it flapping about.

My only, minor, gripe would be that the case is a close fit when new, and it took quite a while to get it onto the scope !

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back