• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon D200 + Birding Lens (1 Viewer)

nancylewis123

I have been studying the various threads relating to this much-discussed subject. However, I have a couple of new issues to throw into the mix.

First issue: I have the Nikon D200 with the Nikkor 18mm-200mm VR DX zoom (f3.5-5.6). It takes wonderfully sharp, accurate images, but I need more telephoto reach for my birding. Nikon tech support has advised me that none of the Nikon teleconverters will work with my 18-200 zoom lens, but they did not tell me exactly what would not work. I am an old Nikon F user and have no problem if I have to manually focus, but I would like the advanage of TTL metering. Does anyone know what functionality, if any, I would retain with, let's say, the 1.4 TC?

Second issue: I am willing to put out the big bucks for a prime long lens, like the Nikon 300mm VR 2.8 (I must be crazy), along with the Nikon 1.4 TC for serious birding. But, I am a small female person and most of my birding involves some hiking, so a monopod with a is all I am comfortable carrying. I am concerned that even with a pod I will never be able to hold the camera steady. Am I being overly concerned? This will be a big expenditure and I don't want to be sorry. Thanks for your thoughts.

Last edited:
nancylewis123 said:
I have been studying the various threads relating to this much-discussed subject. However, I have a couple of new issues to throw into the mix.

First issue: I have the Nikon D200 with the Nikkor 18mm-200mm VR DX zoom (f3.5-5.6). It takes wonderfully sharp, accurate images, but I need more telephoto reach for my birding. Nikon tech support has advised me that none of the Nikon teleconverters will work with my 18-200 zoom lens, but they did not tell me exactly what would not work. I am an old Nikon F user and have no problem if I have to manually focus, but I would like the advanage of TTL metering. Does anyone know what functionality, if any, I would retain with, let's say, the 1.4 TC?

Second issue: I am willing to put out the big bucks for a prime long lens, like the Nikon 300mm VR 2.8 (I must be crazy), along with the Nikon 1.4 TC for serious birding. But, I am a small female person and most of my birding involves some hiking, so a monopod with a is all I am comfortable carrying. I am concerned that even with a pod I will never be able to hold the camera steady. Am I being overly concerned? This will be a big expenditure and I don't want to be sorry. Thanks for your thoughts.
There's no problem fitting the majority of the Nikkors to the D200, obviously the manual focus versions will not autofocus, but you do get focus confirmation in the viewfinder. Metering is by manual, centre weighted and spot, no matrix. The TC1.4 works no problem on most manual Nikkors in manual mode and retains manual, centre weighted and spot metering, however if you use it on the Nikkor 300 VR 2.8 I don't think you will retain any metering as the lens is AFS, you will definately lose AF and VR. To make full use of this lenses functions you need the TC14E AFS teleconverter, the TC14E converter will not fit on non AFS lenses unless you have it modified. If you want to retain autofocus and metering with your 18-200 you will need to purchase a teleconverter from an independant maker, Kenko do a TC 1.4 which is very good and much cheaper than the Nikon version, it'll also fit on all your old manual Nikkors.

The use of a monopod should not cause you any problems, the pro's use them all the time for sports photography and they're usually toting 600mm lenses. Practice using it before you do anything serious, use walls and trees to support you where possible, a low angle approach will give you more stability and will probably allow you to get in closer to nature subjects.

nirofo.

Last edited:
nancylewis123 said:

Hi Nancy,

I am also using the D200.

With the teleconverter the problem will be auto focus. With the 5.6 at 200 and 1.4TC you have an F8 which is generally considered to dim to autofocus. The Kenko Pro 1.4TC will probably allow auto focus with that lens but it will hunt if not real bright out.

Using a TC the better and faster glass will render sharper pictures than the slower (cheaper) lenes.

If your thinking of using a monopod or hand holding you want a VR lens. The 300 2.8 VR will maintain autofocus and VR with the Kenco teleconverters. I'm not sure about the Nikon. That lens with a TC is still excellent. It is a wonderful lenes.

I have a 80-400VR I use for hand holding. I also have a 500 F4 and use that with a tripod only.

You can hand hold with VR and make some good shots if your steady. The VR helps but it does not work miracles. I usually try to brace myself on a tree or some solid object to get as steady as possible and let the VR help with the remaining shake.

You want to practice a lot after you get your new lenes. The great part about digital is you can see how your doing and improve your technique quickly.

I hope this helps a bit.

Al

Thanks for your responses. I went ahead and ordered the Kenko Pro 1.4TC for the 18-200mm Nikkor. I will let you know how it works. If I have to manually focus, the TC will still be a huge asset if I can retain most of the sharpness I am enjoying with this lens while increasing my reach.

With respect to the 300mm Nikkor, I forgot to mention that the 300mm f2.8 with VR weighs 6 pounds and the 300mm f4 without VR weighs 3 pounds. The D200 weighs around 2 pounds. So, VR notwithstanding, it seems to me that I have a much better chance of holding 5 pounds without camera shake than 8 pounds without camera shake...even with the faster shutter speeds I will enjoy with the f2.8. Any thoughts on this line of reasoning?

nancylewis123 said:
But, I am a small female person and most of my birding involves some hiking, so a monopod with a is all I am comfortable carrying. I am concerned that even with a pod I will never be able to hold the camera steady.

The monopod will mostly remove the weight as a factor in holding the camera steady, since it provides the support. Actually the camera's size and length becomes the problem instead of weight, because the monopod will pivot a bit as you shift your grip and push buttons on the camera body. The further the body is from the mounting point, the more it'll want to pivot. Ah, life is far from perfect...

nancylewis123 said:
Thanks for your responses. I went ahead and ordered the Kenko Pro 1.4TC for the 18-200mm Nikkor. I will let you know how it works. If I have to manually focus, the TC will still be a huge asset if I can retain most of the sharpness I am enjoying with this lens while increasing my reach.

With respect to the 300mm Nikkor, I forgot to mention that the 300mm f2.8 with VR weighs 6 pounds and the 300mm f4 without VR weighs 3 pounds. The D200 weighs around 2 pounds. So, VR notwithstanding, it seems to me that I have a much better chance of holding 5 pounds without camera shake than 8 pounds without camera shake...even with the faster shutter speeds I will enjoy with the f2.8. Any thoughts on this line of reasoning?

Nancy, I use a D200 plus the battery pack and a 300/4 AF-S with a TC14e-II and find it an excellent set, up on a monopod its extremely easy to carry and as you say light enough. The monopod is necessary if the shutter speeds are towards the slow end but if the lights good then its not a problem hand holding it. I do have a TC20e which also works full AF and metering with the 300/4 (this only comes out on good days or unless I have to use it to record a shot), I mat well px my TC20e for a TC17e.
VR is good but if the subject is moving and your trying to shoot at low speeds your not going to stop movement blur, VR is good on static shots or when the platform your on is moving.

Steve

Nancy,

The 300mm 2.8 VR AF-s is a gem of a lense, but if you want to walk about with it, then it can get very heavy. You'll need a little rucksack if walking any distance. With the 1.4 tc, it will give you a longer reach.

Nancy , the 300/2.8 AF-S VR is too heavy to carry around all day. Mine stays at home most of the time and I bought a 300/f4 AF-S to carry out in the field . Got this image today on the D2x. Neil.

Attachments

• osprey.flight_DSC0051.jpg
    osprey.flight_DSC0051.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 316
First issue: I have the Nikon D200 with the Nikkor 18mm-200mm VR DX zoom (f3.5-5.6). It takes wonderfully sharp, accurate images, but I need more telephoto reach for my birding. Nikon tech support has advised me that none of the Nikon teleconverters will work with my 18-200 zoom lens, but they did not tell me exactly what would not work.

The nikon teleconvertors will not mount at all on the 18-200, there is a little tab on the F mount to prevent this, you can remove this (i have for use on a sigma lens i have) however i believe on the 18-200 the rear element may colide (ouch) with the front of the teleconvertor.

Not sure on the monopod issue as i have never used one (prefer tripod)

edit: I would also consider the TC-17 with the 300mmVr for that bit extra reach (510mm vs 420mm with tc14)

Rog

Last edited:
If you are really serious about birding photographs with a heavy prime then get a tripod. Monopods are ok for hiking but you will get blurry pics once in a while (even with a VR lens).
The best birding pics usually come from stationary positions anyway, with you waiting for the bird and not the other way around.

Thanks to all of you for your comments. I have purchased the Nikkor 300mm f/4, to be used with my 1.4 TC on the 679B Manfrotto monopod with the 3229 Swivel Tilt Quick Release head. I also purchased the Monfrotto folding monopod legs, which really lend a great deal of stability without much additional weight. This is my first prime lens and I am in love...After all these years of film and digital photography with various zooms, both Nikon and third party, I finally have crystal clear optics with no abberations!!!! I also purchased a Tamrac5575 Expedition 5 backpack that will accomodate my camera with the 300mm lens and my TC attached, along with my monopod. It is so well designed that once I have it on my back and adjusted, the weight is practically a non-issue for the kind of moderate treckking I do. What a wonderful forum this is. You all have probably saved me from at least a few costly mistakes. I will upload some bird pics soon. :clap:

nancylewis123 said:
Thanks to all of you for your comments. I have purchased the Nikkor 300mm f/4, to be used with my 1.4 TC on the 679B Manfrotto monopod with the 3229 Swivel Tilt Quick Release head. I also purchased the Monfrotto folding monopod legs, which really lend a great deal of stability without much additional weight. This is my first prime lens and I am in love...After all these years of film and digital photography with various zooms, both Nikon and third party, I finally have crystal clear optics with no abberations!!!! I also purchased a Tamrac5575 Expedition 5 backpack that will accomodate my camera with the 300mm lens and my TC attached, along with my monopod. It is so well designed that once I have it on my back and adjusted, the weight is practically a non-issue for the kind of moderate treckking I do. What a wonderful forum this is. You all have probably saved me from at least a few costly mistakes. I will upload some bird pics soon. :clap:

That sounds great Nancy. I'm sure your going to enjoy owning that lens. We'll be looking forward to some pics.

nancylewis123 said:

:clap: :t: :clap:

I'm sure you'll love it, It is one sharp lens.

Rog

I own the 300F4 afs also and its a great lens on the D200. Ive used the 18-200mm for a while and its ok, Also just aquired an 80-400 VR, So i hope to test that out soon.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back