• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Buzzard Nestbox (1 Viewer)

Inadorel

Hi

My first post on this forum so sorry if a stupid question. I live in rural Argyll, Scotland and have a large (3.5 acre) property, which is largely native woodland and backs onto to the slopes of a mountain. We have a lot of bird life (six jays around our feeding area this morning to give one example), and recently we have been joined by a pair of buzzards, which I am pretty sure am trying to breed in the area (flying in spiral together). I would really love it if they were to make a home here and we have a large pole which had an owl nesting box on it before (in the previous owner's time) it fell to pieces.

So I would like to get a new nesting box to hopefully attract the buzzards, but I can't find a specific buzzard box for sale (or any specs to make one). Does anyone know what sort of box of the likely ones available e.g. owl, falcon etc would be most suitable, or any site where I could get a plan for a buzzard box.

Many thanks....

Buzzards build large stick nests in trees (or occasionally, on cliffs), they don't use boxes. As long as you've got some mature woods or cliffs nearby, they'll be OK on their own.

OK thanks for that. We certainly have plenty of mature woods so they should be fine - a bit disappointed though as I was hoping to mount a little camera on the box... I was wondering why I couldn't find a 'buzzard box' so you have given me the right answer :)

Hey Inadorel. I know this is an old thread, but; did you enjoy buzzards nesting in 2015, or since? We're a bit north of you, outside Beauly, and have a buzzard in the location. We're hoping it will stay and nest locally!JB

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back