• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Howard and Moore 4th edition - Passerines (1 Viewer)

Daniel Philippe

This has now been shipped from China and should arrive in the UK about October 9 (and with Buteo Books in the USA about the same time).

The Aves Press website is being updated and will shortly include a preview of 50 selected pages.

Daniel,
will there be a direct communication to the people who have bought the non-passerine volume?

Niels

Daniel,
will there be a direct communication to the people who have bought the non-passerine volume?

Niels

Aves Press is a very small company, Niels, and do not have the means to do this, but do not worry, the publicity surrounding its release will probably be very high among ornithologists/birders when the new sequence will be disclosed.;)

Last edited:
Odd? I assume that many keen birders own a sizeable collection of Bloomsbury/Helm, Princeton, OUP, New Holland, NatGeo etc birding books printed in China.
Never stopped to see if it says where they were printed. But if true, exactly the same point applies.

Lynx HBW is printed in Barcelona where it is produced. Much more sensible, as they are better placed to source sustainable paper there.

Aves Press is a very small company, Niels, and do not have the means to do this, but do not worry, the publicity surrounding its release will probably be very high among ornithologists/birders when the new sequence will be disclosed.;)

What is the cost of an email these days?

I sort of remember that those who bought the first were going to get a discount on the second volume, which would imply some kind of list exists, and some kind of direct communication should happen. Or do I remember that wrong?

Keith

That was my understanding -- if you bought Volume 1 then you would get Volume 2 at a reduced price, or at least at a price fixed back then and not the actual price.

I also sent them a post card (yes, really) with my e-mail address so that they would notify me of any published changes, which I would then be able to download from their server (one chance only, if their server screwed up or the Internet hiccuped then I would be out of luck and they wouldn't talk to me about it). So far I haven't heard of any published changes -- not from Aves Press anyway. But it seems like there haven't been any because I'm sure I would have heard about them from this forum.

Blog Avibase

Denis Lepage:
2014-09-26: With the second volume of Howard and Moore 4th edition due very shortly, I have been working on mapping the revised taxonomy into Avibase. I was very happy to be a major contributor in the production of both volumes and look forward to continue playing a role in keeping the list up to date in the future. With more than 10 years elapsed since the publication of the 3rd, one would clearly expect this to be a major update, particularly given the speed at which our understanding of bird taxonomy is currently changing. I can already say that changes have been affecting more than half of all taxa (species and subspecies) in one way or another, and this is not accounting for changes to citations (authors and year of publication), something that Dickinson and his team have been painstakingly examining. The H&M4 version should be integrated within Avibase within a few weeks, but I encourage you to order a copy of the 2 volumes if you have any interest in bird taxonomy. In addition to the list of name itself, the book includes detailed range descriptions for all species and subspecies, accurate citation information, and thoroughly detailed footnotes with thousands of references.

Avespress

http://www.avespress.com/books/checklist-passerines.php

http://www.avespress.com/books/complete-checklist-edition-4/volume-2/

Where 10 or 15 years ago there were less than 150 recognised families of birds we now treat 234 of which 134 are passerine family (for which the increase is in the order of 70%). Between the two volumes we now treat 10,135 species of birds and 2340 genera.

The CD with Vol. 2 includes the overall treatment of Extinct Birds – replacing the rather perfunctory treatment in Volume 1. It also includes a Checklist in spreadsheet form, open to revision by the user, covering all the species (and their subspecies groups) in the two volumes:

Last edited:
What is the cost of an email these days?

I sort of remember that those who bought the first were going to get a discount on the second volume, which would imply some kind of list exists, and some kind of direct communication should happen. Or do I remember that wrong?

Keith

Just found an email from Edward Dickinson 22 April 2013 with the following:

"A copy of volume 2 (Passerines) has been reserved for you at the same price you paid for volume 1 and you will be notified by an e-mail (like this one) when the stock is on its way. At that point you will be asked to confirm your order and if you did not pay for both volumes together, as some did, you will be asked to confirm your order and pay for volume 2 using our website to do so. Meanwhile we shall be announcing that the much larger volume 2 will be priced at £80 rather than the £60 at which your copy has been reserved. Both these figures are gross and your discount on the £60 price is safe. We anticipate some 860 pages in volume 2 compared to 512 in volume 1."

I await the email ...

Keith

Discount

New purchase opportunities on our website -- www.avespress.com -- for one or both volumes of the Checklist.

A promotional code inserted in the field provided will give you a 25% discount. Those interested can send me a PM to get the code.

The buyers will receive their order from Buteo Books if they are from the USA or Canada and from our UK warehouse if they are anywhere else in the world (our charge for postage and packing is applicable worldwide).

Calcariidae

E.C. Dickinson & L. Christidis (Eds), 2014. Appendix 2
Family-group names:
...in the case of Calcariidae, we have based our choice of date precedence (in this instance choosing Plectrophenacidae).

W. J. Bock, 1994:
Plectrophenacinae Olphe-Galliard, 1890 [Plectrophenax Stejneger, 1882]
Calcariinae Ridgway, 1901 [Calcarius Bechstein, 1802]

W. J. Bock, 1994:
Plectrophenacinae Olphe-Galliard, 1890 [Plectrophenax Stejneger, 1882]
Calcariinae Ridgway, 1901 [Calcarius Bechstein, 1802]
Always, always, always...double-check what Bock wrote in 1994...

Olphe-Galliard, 1890: what was proposed there is Plectrophaneae, based on Plectrophanes Meyer, which is a junior synonym of Calcarius Bechstein (types respectively calcarata Pallas and lapponica Linnaeus; both are the Lapland Bunting).
Plectrophenax Stejneger (type nivalis Linnaeus) is explicitly invalid in this publication (cited in the synonymy of Plectrophanes), which excludes entirely the creation of a family-group name based on this genus-group name.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back