• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

June05--the second half (1 Viewer)

Aquila said:
www.migrantmoth.com is forecasting migrants tonight, so fingers crossed.
Well the only migrant out of a reasonable haul was a single Dark Sword Grass.
Can anyone suggest an i.d. for this worn individual? The W near the trailing edge leads me to think brocade.

Attachments

• BrocadeSp280605.jpg
    BrocadeSp280605.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 37
Pete Haynes said:
Brian, Your Common Footman looks like Scarce Footman to me - no grey on the collar and tightly rolled up wings.

Thanks Pete. I am still puzzled. I've attached an unequivocal Scarce Footie from last year, a Common Footman and the latest one. The wings appear to be much more like the Common than the Scarce to me. The broadness of the wings has even had me thinking Buff Footman Eilema deplana.

Attachments

• scarce_footman_19jul04_420.jpg
    scarce_footman_19jul04_420.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 54
  • common_footman_26jun05_420_20.jpg
    common_footman_26jun05_420_20.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 39
  • common_footman_27jun05_420_20.jpg
    common_footman_27jun05_420_20.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
brianhstone said:
Yes, alsines is uniformly fuscous and blanda is paler towards one margin (can't remember which).

While I am here can anyone put a name to this Argyresthia sp.? I want to say brockeella but it doesn't look quite like previous ones.
There's a f. aurivittella illustrated in MBGBI which I reckon your specimen could pass for.

brianhstone said:
Thanks Pete. I am still puzzled. I've attached an unequivocal Scarce Footie from last year, a Common Footman and the latest one. The wings appear to be much more like the Common than the Scarce to me. The broadness of the wings has even had me thinking Buff Footman Eilema deplana.

Perhaps the wings aren't as folded as I first thought, but then you may just have caught it like that? It certainly looks like Common wings with Scarce head!

Who knows?

Pete H

Hoplodrina sp and Footman

Further to Brian et al's discussion of Common Footman or not - here's the one I caught last night (Balcony and personal new species).

And further to the discussion Brian and I were having about the second Hoplodrina pic posted above, which I was...dare I say? .... uncertain about, well I have examined it's hind wings and they are blindingly white. Which seems to put it closer to H. superstes or ambigua..... from looking at Waring and Skinner.

I am enclosing some more pictures in the hope that some of our more experienced moth-ers might have some suggestions to make.

Very best

David

Attachments

• Common Footman 01 01.JPG
    Common Footman 01 01.JPG
    47.3 KB · Views: 28
  • Common Footman 01 02.JPG
    Common Footman 01 02.JPG
    48 KB · Views: 56
  • Hoplodrina sp 01 02.JPG
    Hoplodrina sp 01 02.JPG
    50.7 KB · Views: 35
  • Hoplodrina sp 01 03.JPG
    Hoplodrina sp 01 03.JPG
    51.4 KB · Views: 25
  • Hoplodrina sp 01 04.JPG
    Hoplodrina sp 01 04.JPG
    53.3 KB · Views: 56
Last night

Not a bad night with 156 moths of 90+ species including 49 macros and all the micros, not all of which are id'd yet. Min 15.2 deg C, cloudy, still but drizzly during the night.

Only one new macro, piccie below. Is it a White-point :D ! or is it just a Clay. The shape and possibly the colour say White-point and both have a smoky grey hindwing and an underside abdominal bar near the thorax! I still have it in the fridge.

I have attached a couple of distinctive micros and a Pug from today. I spent ages today id'ing some of my list of micros and haven't reached today by a mile yet! Just concentrating on the Tortices - at least a lot of them are distinctive!

All the best

Pete H

Attachments

• White-point 0100t.jpg
    White-point 0100t.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 48
  • Pug 0114t.jpg
    Pug 0114t.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 36
  • 0629 0071t.jpg
    0629 0071t.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 25
  • 0629 0084t.jpg
    0629 0084t.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 56
I'll have a go at the last two:
#3. Bramble Shoot Moth Epiblema uddmanniana (75%)
#4. Bird-cherry Ermine Yponomeuta evonymella (50%) - Assumes it is the right size and a better photo from the side would help.

brianhstone said:
#4. Bird-cherry Ermine Yponomeuta evonymella (50%) - Assumes it is the right size and a better photo from the side would help.
Thanks Brian

Pete H

brianhstone said:
I agree with Brian

#3 100%
#4 95%

#2 looks a good possibility for Bilberry Pug

And #1 don't know which, though I've just started getting Clay in my traps.

last night of June

I ran my 25W actinic last night. Nothing too sensational.
Common footman
willow beauty
flame
July highflyer (nfy)
dark arches
buff-tip
fan-foot (nfy)
green pug
light emerald
dun-bar (nfy)
dusky brocade -- I think
common/smoky wainscot
ingrailed clay
Large yellow underwing
+lots of uncertain/rustics
+ c6 micro species.
Ken

Attachments

• july_highflyer1a.jpg
    july_highflyer1a.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 41
  • double square-spot1b.jpg
    double square-spot1b.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 40
  • dun-bar1c.jpg
    dun-bar1c.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 32
  • fan-foot.jpg
    fan-foot.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 29
  • p-dusky brocade1a.jpg
    p-dusky brocade1a.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
Id's and last night

Hi Angus,

I'm happy with all three of those Id's now. The 3,000 acres of Surrey I look after has huge amounts of Bilberry on it, some just over the road from my house, so Bilberry Pug is not unexpected. The body and slightly worn wing markings all match up. The same thing happened with Foxglove Pug - I've had quite a few now.

Last night was quieter than recently - temp down to 11.6 deg C but, just as important I think, was the poor weather during the day, with a fair amount of rain and the accompanying coolness. Dry and mainly clear after dark. The two traps pulled in over 100 moths of 47 species, including all micros. New for me were :

July Highflyer (a smart green one) |=)|
Four-dotted Footman |=)|
Rustic (at last) |=)|

plus another nice Swallow-tailed Moth and several Common and Scarce Footman. Another annoying little moth that I cannot tie down.
Two pictures below show top and side views. It is Lutestring size but no resemblance can I find in the book!! :stuck: - HELP. I bet its obvious when I'm told!

Three more micros from last night too. Lengths 12mm (0161t), 10mm (0162t) and 5mm (0145t).

All the best

Pete H

Attachments

• Macro 0173t.jpg
    Macro 0173t.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 48
  • Macro 0176t.jpg
    Macro 0176t.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 39
  • 0630 0162t.jpg
    0630 0162t.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 50
  • 0630 0161t.jpg
    0630 0161t.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 32
  • 0630 0145t.jpg
    0630 0145t.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 42
The first looks like one of those Dingy Shears (Enargia ypsillon) we've been seeing on here recently. I don't recognise the others at first glance.

Pete Haynes said:
Another annoying little moth that I cannot tie down.
Two pictures below show top and side views. It is Lutestring size but no resemblance can I find in the book!! :stuck: - HELP. I bet its obvious when I'm told!

Three more micros from last night too. Lengths 12mm (0161t), 10mm (0162t) and 5mm (0145t).

All the best

Pete H
In reverse order.
#5 Elachista argentella
#4 Blastobasis decolorella
#3 No book, but just check out Orthotaenia undulana as a possibulity.

Don't know with the other, but was it really that "little". The Lutestrings arn;t little.

Bee Moth and others

Brian, and others

I've had a look at the 2 Aphomia specimens I caught (in June...yes, I know it's July, but I'm referring back!!) - the same species, and I managed to photograph one with its wings open which reveal a grey hind wing, which in Goater seems to be closer to Bee moth (Aphomia sociella) than to Melissoblaptes zelleri......, as do the relative size of the black discal spots. So I think that's what I'll call it. 2 more photos below (1 +2).

Last night also saw me catching the first of the year for:

Dun Bar (pic 3) - a very orange specimen
Yellow Shell (pic 4) - a corker!!!

and a first ever of

Garden Rose Tortrix.

Any comments from those of you who know the Bee Moth/M zelleri?

best

David

Attachments

• Bee Moth 01 02.JPG
    Bee Moth 01 02.JPG
    57.1 KB · Views: 30
  • Bee Moth 01 05.JPG
    Bee Moth 01 05.JPG
    62.3 KB · Views: 33
  • Dun-bar 05 04.JPG
    Dun-bar 05 04.JPG
    41.2 KB · Views: 44
  • Yellow Shell 01 01.JPG
    Yellow Shell 01 01.JPG
    71.1 KB · Views: 37
Id's

Thanks Angus, Brian,

Minor Shoulder Knot is absolutely perfect. What fooled me is that it rolled itself up tight like a Lutestring, unlike my first MSK a few days ago. The three micros look on the ball too. Does the Blastobasis decolorella have a variety of background colours. Other picces I have seem to be much lighter and have small darkish marks across them?

Thanks

Pete H

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back