• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tajikistan June (1 Viewer)

Thanks a lot Grahame and Mark for giving your opinions! Would you mind giving me your ideas why you conclude BRW and not Sykes or Booted Warbler for example?

The possible presence of BRW in that area is what complicates the identification of Large-billed Reed Warblers, as according to available information, the two are not safely separable by views in the field. Apparently there are no confirmed breeding records of BRW in the Pamirs or anywhere else in Tajikistan, but they migrate through the area. Mainly through the western part (like the birds I saw in Dushanbe) but potentially elsewhere as well. What I do not understand well is the migration time. Do these really still migrate north as late as mid June?

Ok, these considerations aside, I found birds in the Khorog-area that clearly look different from the birds in post #11 and #1 and which I think are Large-billed Reed Warblers. I also asked someone who knows LBRW and he confirmed it, also based on the song (adding that outside the known breeding grounds, he wouldn't be 100 % certain). These birds where quite common in the right habitat there, but I managed to photograph only these two.

Here photos of two different birds and a song of what I think is LBRW. Comments welcome!

Attachments

• P1350848.JPG
    P1350848.JPG
    244.8 KB · Views: 34
  • P1360914.JPG
    P1360914.JPG
    339.4 KB · Views: 37
  • P1360919.JPG
    P1360919.JPG
    319.4 KB · Views: 40
  • Lbrw1.m4a
    1.4 MB · Views: 57
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back