• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Celestron Ultima DX Series (1 Viewer)

trashbird

Some dealers are starting to carry this new line.

http://www.telescopes.com/series/celestron-ultima-dx-series-binoculars-4584.html

They appear to be the same as the old Ultima line but waterproofed and armored. If this is the case, these porro binocs are very reasonably priced. The old Ultima line had very good optics.

Interesting that they are not carrying old 8x40 configuration, though. The Celestron Ultima 8x40 was as good as the old Swift Ultralite 8x42 -- some said the Ultima was better. The Ultimas and Ultralites were all made by Vixen anyway.

The old Celestron Ultima 8x32 was an excellent binocular. Tack sharp on axis, and though the resolution started to detriorate pretty rapidly in the outer part of the field, it was a HUGE field. I owned one and loved scanning the skies with it. Unfortunately, the eye relief was about 12mm -- not good enough for an eyeglasses wearer.

The new Celestron Ultima DX 8x32 is advertised as having 16mm of eye relief. But the old Ultima adverstised the same thing, even though it was about 12mm. If the new 8x32 has the same optics as the old, then I suspect the new one has only 12mm of ER as well. For a birder who doesn't wear glasses, though, the 8x32 would make a very good lower-priced porro. A poor man's Nikon EII perhaps.

The Ultima DX 10x50 looks interesting as well -- and I think it may be an entirely new design. It has a 6.5 degree field of view and good eye relief. The close focus is about 20 ft. -- but it might make for a good second glass for distance birding (and astronomy, if that's you thing). The old Ultima 10x50 didn't have nearly as wide a field, if I remember correctly.

The 9x63 and 8x56 are also interesting configurations. The 8x56 would make an excellent low-light glass.

I am curious about anyone'e experience with these new Ultima DXs.

trashbird said:
Some dealers are starting to carry this new line.

http://www.telescopes.com/series/celestron-ultima-dx-series-binoculars-4584.html

They appear to be the same as the old Ultima line but waterproofed and armored. If this is the case, these porro binocs are very reasonably priced. The old Ultima line had very good optics.

Interesting that they are not carrying old 8x40 configuration, though. The Celestron Ultima 8x40 was as good as the old Swift Ultralite 8x42 -- some said the Ultima was better. The Ultimas and Ultralites were all made by Vixen anyway.

The old Celestron Ultima 8x32 was an excellent binocular. Tack sharp on axis, and though the resolution started to detriorate pretty rapidly in the outer part of the field, it was a HUGE field. I owned one and loved scanning the skies with it. Unfortunately, the eye relief was about 12mm -- not good enough for an eyeglasses wearer.

The new Celestron Ultima DX 8x32 is advertised as having 16mm of eye relief. But the old Ultima adverstised the same thing, even though it was about 12mm. If the new 8x32 has the same optics as the old, then I suspect the new one has only 12mm of ER as well. For a birder who doesn't wear glasses, though, the 8x32 would make a very good lower-priced porro. A poor man's Nikon EII perhaps.

The Ultima DX 10x50 looks interesting as well -- and I think it may be an entirely new design. It has a 6.5 degree field of view and good eye relief. The close focus is about 20 ft. -- but it might make for a good second glass for distance birding (and astronomy, if that's you thing). The old Ultima 10x50 didn't have nearly as wide a field, if I remember correctly.

The 9x63 and 8x56 are also interesting configurations. The 8x56 would make an excellent low-light glass.

I am curious about anyone'e experience with these new Ultima DXs.

I understand they are made in China, which may present quality control issues. I still own and use my Ultima 8 x 32 and continue to be impressed by its center field performance. Build quality for the Ultimas was excellent as well, and, to me eyes, actually better than its Swift Ultralite siblings.

"I understand they are made in China"

Well, that explains Celestron's ability to sell the DXs at such a low price.

I looked on the Cloudy Nights astronomy forum and already people with the old Ultimas are making sure that everyone knows they own the original Japanese-made, not the horrible bottom-feeder Chinese make. ;)

Astronomics.com is now carrying the two larger DXs and they give their own descriptions and assessments of the binoculars they carry. They are especially stringent (sometimes overly so, I think) on their eye relief figures, and they are sometimes the only place you can find IPD specs for a certain model.

The Ultima DX 8x56:

http://www.astronomics.com/main/Cel.../5QTR38LAN2NR9N3XQ5NFED4PV4/product_id/C856DX

The Ultima DX 9x63:

http://www.astronomics.com/main/Cel.../5QTR38LAN2NR9N3XQ5NFED4PV4/product_id/C963DX

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back