• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help with Hawk I.D. (1 Viewer)

Muskrat

Resident Rodent
I'm very poor with identifying the hawks and would appreciate your help. This bird is in northeastern Pennsylvania. After the hayfield next to our house was cut, this bird spent the next few days perched on the wire watching the field for food. I know that we have some Broadwings living on our woodlot, as I have seen and heard them...but this one looks different and I can't pin it down for sure. Thanks!

Muskrat

Attachments

• {Q-E}T3500 Hawk Takes Flight.jpg
    {Q-E}T3500 Hawk Takes Flight.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 169
  • {Q-E}T3507 Hawk.jpg
    {Q-E}T3507 Hawk.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 194
  • {Q-E}T3438 Hawk Watching Field.jpg
    {Q-E}T3438 Hawk Watching Field.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 203
Last edited:
I'm thinking Broad-Winged Hawk. Cooper's tend to be more elusive, it is certainly not a Red-shouldered or Red-tailed.

Thanks...after seeing it a few more times in the field and studying the Sibley guide, I agree with your observations! Thanks for the confirmations!
Muskrat

Broad Winged Hawk

My guess would be that's it's a broad winged....

Based on the field marks (not an accipiter), not a red tailed nor rough legged and is perched on a wire (with woods behind it). In my area, I've seen them around/in hardwoods often perched on a wire.

My 2 cents.

Marc

Re: Camera Used

Those are really nice pics. What kind of camera are you using?

Brian[/QUOTE]Brian...Thanks for the comments....I was using a Canon 300D and a Canon EF 100-400 mm Lens....The hawk was not intimidated by my presence and sat on the wire for several shots. I had seen it a few days in a row and was able to photograph it each time.

Muskrat

Beautiful.

I'm trying to learn how to get my Nikon D70 to take pics like that. Nice work!

Are you from the Benton near Bloomsburg or the one near Maryland? I'm from near Hazleton myself.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back