• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Irish "wildfire" season opens (1 Viewer)

This was in 2011. Staying in Warrenpoint, we drove to Newry, and then left (heading to the south) and into the hills towards a loch whose name I can't remember. The scale of it was much more than the picture (couldn't upload the wider view - pic size too big). Took my breath away.

Attachments

• DSC_0069 crop landscape.jpg
    DSC_0069 crop landscape.jpg
    323.8 KB · Views: 16
When will Irish arsonists be prosecuted I wonder? The Irish Wildlife Trust seems to suggest that paying them off might be one way to go.

https://www.msn.com/en-ie/news/worl...f-vegetation-condemned/ar-BB12LBlX?li=BBr5MK2
The Irish Wildlife Trust said it had written to three of the large farming organisations asking for their support for three measures, including payments for farmers under the Basic Payment Scheme to restore natural habitats.

It said: “A massive, illegal wildfire has swept through the Wicklow Mountains Special Area of Conservation (SAC) through the evening of 15 April and the early hours of the 16th.

This is just the latest in a series of destructive fires that have become the hallmark of the Irish spring – obliterating nesting birds, insects and natural habitats while releasing vast quantities of smoke and carbon dioxide into the atmosphere.

Paul

When will Irish arsonists be prosecuted I wonder? The Irish Wildlife Trust seems to suggest that paying them off might be one way to go.

https://www.msn.com/en-ie/news/worl...f-vegetation-condemned/ar-BB12LBlX?li=BBr5MK2
The Irish Wildlife Trust said it had written to three of the large farming organisations asking for their support for three measures, including payments for farmers under the Basic Payment Scheme to restore natural habitats.

It said: “A massive, illegal wildfire has swept through the Wicklow Mountains Special Area of Conservation (SAC) through the evening of 15 April and the early hours of the 16th.

This is just the latest in a series of destructive fires that have become the hallmark of the Irish spring – obliterating nesting birds, insects and natural habitats while releasing vast quantities of smoke and carbon dioxide into the atmosphere.

Paul

Paying them is the wrong way to go, it incentivises farmers to keep burning habitats at intervals in order to keep being paid to restore it. A good parallel would be the initial trapping schemes for Coypu in Britain, which had to be rejigged once the Ministry of Agriculture realised trappers were making sure a breeding population survived each year to keep them in business.

I I were the Irish government I would make the farmers responsible for the upkeep of the habitats but contract conservation organisations to do the actual work (so the farmers can't make money from it) and simply take the costs from the individual farmers. No fires, no costs. If a fire occurs, the relevant farmer loses money immediately. That way the farmers are incentivised to prevent fires.

John

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back