• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A New Interview with Gerold Dobler, SF Design Team Leader (1 Viewer)

Troubador

Staff member
Supporter
They say time flies and a couple of weeks ago I was amazed to notice that it was nearly 3 months since I posted my first interview with Dr Gerold Dobler of Zeiss Sports Optics. So when I recently met up with him again to discuss all sorts of binocular-related issues, I naturally took the opportunity to interview him once again. I did consider reading him his rights: “ You have the right to remain silent, but anything you do say will be taken down and used on Bird Forum”, but Dr Dobler was ready to meet the challenge of another grilling by yours truly. I asked him a series of questions that have arisen out of posts on Bird Forum and also one that casts further light on the history of the original Swarovski EL. Dr Dobler very kindly agreed to share his views on these topics, speaking as a private individual, not as a spokesman for Zeiss.

Troubador: SF has been very slow in being delivered to the market, long after it was announced. When can people expect normal availability of SF to be achieved?

Dr Dobler: It is true that there have been delays caused by several different and unforeseen factors and of course we wish that this had not happened. Production is building steadily now, in a controlled way, but we are still satisfying all of the pre-orders. We expect to achieve normal availability, by which we mean you can expect to visit shops and find SF there on the shelf waiting for you to try them out, during this summer.

Troubador: We have read reports that some SFs have been returned by dealers due to the focuser tightening up when in use. Has the cause of this issue been identified and eliminated?

Dr Dobler: Yes. A batch of one of the mechanical components spoiled the feel of the focuser over a part of the focusing movement of some units and this has been dealt with by implementing new procedures and controls.

Troubador: Most people would consider it normal to plan and to organise in such a way that these delays and quality issues are avoided.

Dr Dobler: Of course, and there is no doubt that the introduction of SF to the market has not been as smooth as we wished. Despite the best plans, sometimes there are unforeseen problems. It is no excuse but it is relevant to point out that this has happened with other brands too but Zeiss understands that the market expects a better performance than this, and I can tell you that there has been more than one change in our management structure as a result.

Troubador: There have been a small number of reports of people noticing a blue or purple ring around the extreme edge of the field of view. Clearly this is some kind of chromatic aberration. What was causing this?

Dr Dobler: Binoculars are designed for viewing with the eyes central with the exit pupil and with the binoculars held straight in front of the eyes. This is similar to the positioning of the sensor in a camera in relation to the lens fitted to the carefully designed and manufactured lens mount. If you were to angle the sensor or the lens you would get some very strange photographs. If you look through any binoculars at an angle you can also see strange optical effects. A riflescope also does not permit any angled viewing at all, but with binoculars there is a little tolerance. Of course when you are holding binoculars in the normal and correct way you do not see these effects and you can look around the field of view, especially with peripheral vision, but it gets harder with an extra-wide field of view like that of the SF. People can be tempted to tilt the binoculars or their head to try to look directly at the edge of the view and this is when they see strange effects. What effects are seen will vary according to the lighting conditions and how much the observer ‘tilts’ the view.

Troubador: What do you say to people who say that they can look at the edge of the field of view in other brands without noticing these effects?

Dr Dobler: Well, perhaps they are not having to tilt the binoculars as much because their binoculars do not have such a wide field of view or maybe they were just lucky with the lighting conditions at the time. All binoculars are designed for looking more or less straight through in what most people would regard as the normal way of observing nature. I think that sometimes it is possible for people to forget that binoculars are designed for observing nature, or sports, or just the view.

Troubador: People have been naturally very interested to see Zeiss fit the SF with a field flattener, and many see this as something new that Zeiss has introduced to compete with Swarovski’s EL SV, but this technology is not really new to Zeiss at all is it?

Dr Dobler: This is correct. The well-known Koehler eyepiece was a wide-angle design that included field flattening and was designed by Herr Koehler at Zeiss in 1960. More recently Zeiss has fitted field flatteners to the eyepiece of the Photoscope, and to the fixed magnification eyepieces for the Diascope telescopes. More relevant to our discussion today is that a field flattener is fitted to the FL 10x32. In fact the FL 10x32 with field flattener was launched in 2005, 5 years before the EL Swarovision. So Zeiss has certainly been familiar with this technology for many years.

Troubador: Really? In the FL 10x32?? Why hasn’t Zeiss publicised this?

Dr Dobler: To answer this question you really need to ask somebody else because the FL was of course designed before my time with Zeiss. But I can make a guess. I think that at Zeiss, field flatteners are seen simply as another optical tool, they are not seen as something magical.

Troubador: In December last year I posted a history of the original Swarovski EL and as a result of my research I was clear that while it was the result of a team effort, that team was led by you, and worked to develop a concept originated by you. However I have heard rumours in Europe that you did not actually contribute in an important way to the development of the original Swarovski EL. Can you clear up this confusion over your role?

Dr Dobler: I have also heard these rumours. They started at about the time that the SF was announced and they have continued since then and it is only after all these months that I feel I cannot remain silent any longer. Fortunately I have a very simple way to demonstrate that these rumours are absolutely untrue because my former employer Mrs Carina Schiestl-Swarovski has described my role at Swarovski in an Austrian court of law. I should explain that when I left Swarovski, the company sought to obtain compensation for my leaving in the Austrian courts. This court case is finished and in the past and I only mention it now to explain how my job description came to be discussed in legal documents.

I will now quote from court protocols which have been issued by the court to the parties involved and are a true and accurate account of what was said in court:

In the course of the trial Swarovski Optik chairwoman Mrs Schiestl-Swarovski clearly affirmed that Dr Dobler’s function target at that time was to “determine which products should be offered, to determine their positioning and determine the respective marketing strategy with the aim of launching the technically and qualitatively best products on the market”.

Swarovski Optik chairwoman Mrs Schiestl-Swarovski claimed that one of the main tasks of Dr Dobler was to “create the product specification sheets for product development and initiate a market oriented product development”. She further claimed that the function of Dr Dobler was also “to inform the management about the results of his product line”. (Note from Troubador: I checked the translation of the word ‘seiner’ to verify that the phrase “his product line”, which is very important in this context, is correct, and indeed ‘seiner’ does directly translate as “his”).

On 9th June 2009 Mrs Schiestl-Swarovski personally: “Dr Dobler is a great carrier of know-how, has specific technical knowledge, he is a visionary and knows what the customer of tomorrow desires”. Mrs Schiestl-Swarovski further explained: “Dr Dobler was also the chairman of our market board. All ideas for product improvements and ideas for new products have been evaluated by the market board and moved into development. This is the place where our product development plan was actually determined”.

On the 4th March 2010 Swarovski Optik chairwoman Mrs Schiestl-Swarovski personally said, under the eyes of the court: “ the market and competition monitoring conducted by Dr Dobler was integrated into specific product definitions, no matter what segment it was. Dr Dobler co-created our product development plan. The fathers of the EL binocular have been Dr Seil as optical designer, Daniel Murg as mechanical designer and Dr Dobler for product management and marketing. This was the most successful year in the company history when Swarovski Optik introduced the EL”.

These quotations speak for themselves and there is more information available if needed.

Troubador: Dr Dobler, thank you for being so open and frank with my questions and I look forward to other opportunities to talk to you in the future.

Dr Dobler: You are welcome and I hope the knowledgeable enthusiasts on Bird Forum continue to discuss binoculars and optics and keep all the manufacturers on the alert.

Lee

Last edited:
They say time flies and a couple of weeks ago I was amazed to notice that it was nearly 3 months since I posted my first interview with Dr Gerold Dobler of Zeiss Sports Optics. So when I recently met up with him again to discuss all sorts of binocular-related issues, I naturally took the opportunity to interview him once again. I did consider reading him his rights: “ You have the right to remain silent, but anything you do say will be taken down and used on Bird Forum”, but Dr Dobler was ready to meet the challenge of another grilling by yours truly. I asked him a series of questions that have arisen out of posts on Bird Forum and also one that casts further light on the history of the original Swarovski EL. Dr Dobler very kindly agreed to share his views on these topics.

Troubador: SF has been very slow in being delivered to the market, long after it was announced. When can people expect normal availability of SF to be achieved?

Dr Dobler: It is true that there have been delays caused by several different and unforeseen factors and of course we wish that this had not happened. Production is building steadily now, in a controlled way, but we are still satisfying all of the pre-orders. We expect to achieve normal availability, by which we mean you can expect to visit shops and find SF there on the shelf waiting for you to try them out, during this summer.

Troubador: We have read reports that some SFs have been returned by dealers due to the focuser tightening up when in use. Has the cause of this issue been identified and eliminated?

Dr Dobler: Yes. A batch of one of the mechanical components spoiled the feel of the focuser over a part of the focusing movement of some units and this has been dealt with by implementing new procedures and controls.

Troubador: Most people would consider it normal to plan and to organise in such a way that these delays and quality issues are avoided.

Dr Dobler: Of course, and there is no doubt that the introduction of SF to the market has not been as smooth as we wished. Despite the best plans, sometimes there are unforeseen problems. It is no excuse but it is relevant to point out that this has happened with other brands too but Zeiss understands that the market expects a better performance than this, and I can tell you that there has been more than one change in our management structure as a result.

Troubador: There have been a small number of reports of people noticing a blue or purple ring around the extreme edge of the field of view. Clearly this is some kind of chromatic aberration. What was causing this?

Dr Dobler: Binoculars are designed for viewing with the eyes central with the exit pupil and with the binoculars held straight in front of the eyes. This is similar to the positioning of the sensor in a camera in relation to the lens fitted to the carefully designed and manufactured lens mount. If you were to angle the sensor or the lens you would get some very strange photographs. If you look through binoculars at an angle you can also see strange optical effects. A riflescope also does not permit any angled viewing at all, but with binoculars there is a little tolerance. Of course when you are holding binoculars in the normal and correct way you do not see these effects and you can look around the field of view, especially with peripheral vision, but it gets harder with an extra-wide field of view like that of the SF. People can be tempted to tilt the binoculars or their head to try to look directly at the edge of the view and this is when they see strange effects. What effects are seen will vary according to the lighting conditions and how much the observer ‘tilts’ the view.

Troubador: What do you say to people who say that they can look at the edge of the field of view in other brands without noticing these effects?

Dr Dobler: Well, perhaps they are not having to tilt the binoculars as much because their binoculars do not have such a wide field of view or maybe they were just lucky with the lighting conditions at the time. SFs are designed for looking more or less straight through in what most people would regard as the normal way of observing nature. I think that sometimes it is possible for people to forget that binoculars are designed for observing nature, or sports, or just the view.

Troubador: People have been naturally very interested to see Zeiss fit the SF with a field flattener, and many see this as something new that Zeiss has introduced to compete with Swarovski’s EL SV, but this technology is not really new to Zeiss at all is it?

Dr Dobler: This is correct. The well-known Koehler eyepiece was a wide-angle design that included field flattening and was designed by Herr Koehler at Zeiss in 1960. More recently Zeiss has fitted field flatteners to the eyepiece of the Photoscope, and to the fixed magnification eyepieces for the Diascope telescopes. More relevant to our discussion today is that a field flattener is fitted to the FL 10x32. In fact the FL 10x32 with field flattener was launched in 2005, 5 years before the EL Swarovision. So Zeiss has certainly been familiar with this technology for many years.

Troubador: Really? In the FL 10x32?? Why hasn’t Zeiss publicised this?

Dr Dobler: To answer this question you really need to ask somebody else because the FL was of course designed before my time with Zeiss. But I can make a guess. I think that at Zeiss, field flatteners are seen simply as another optical tool, they are not seen as something magical.

Troubador: In December last year I posted a history of the original Swarovski EL and as a result of my research I was clear that while it was the result of a team effort, that team was led by you, and worked to develop a concept originated by you. However I have heard rumours in Europe that you did not actually contribute in an important way to the development of the original Swarovski EL. Can you clear up this confusion over your role?

Dr Dobler: I have also heard these rumours. They started at about the time that the SF was announced and they have continued since then and it is only after all these months that I feel I cannot remain silent any longer. Fortunately I have a very simple way to demonstrate that these rumours are absolutely untrue because my former employer Mrs Carina Schiestl-Swarovski has described my role at Swarovski in an Austrian court of law. I should explain that when I left Swarovski, the company sought to obtain compensation for my leaving in the Austrian courts. This court case is finished and in the past and I only mention it now to explain how my job description came to be discussed in legal documents.

I will now quote from court protocols which have been issued by the court to the parties involved and are a true and accurate account of what was said in court:

In the course of the trial Swarovski Optik chairwoman Mrs Schiestl-Swarovski clearly affirmed that Dr Dobler’s function target at that time was to “determine which products should be offered, to determine their positioning and determine the respective marketing strategy with the aim of launching the technically and qualitatively best products on the market”.

Swarovski Optik chairwoman Mrs Schiestl-Swarovski claimed that one of the main tasks of Dr Dobler was to “create the product specification sheets for product development and initiate a market oriented product development”. She further claimed that the function of Dr Dobler was also “to inform the management about the results of his product line”. (Note from Troubador: I checked the translation of the word ‘seiner’ to verify that the phrase “his product line”, which is very important in this context, is correct, and indeed ‘seiner’ does directly translate as “his”).

On 9th June 2009 Mrs Schiestl-Swarovski personally: “Dr Dobler is a great carrier of know-how, has specific technical knowledge, he is a visionary and knows what the customer of tomorrow desires”. Mrs Schiestl-Swarovski further explained: “Dr Dobler was also the chairman of our market board. All ideas for product improvements and ideas for new products have been evaluated by the market board and moved into development. This is the place where our product development plan was actually determined”.

On the 4th March 2010 Swarovski Optik chairwoman Mrs Schiestl-Swarovski personally said, under the eyes of the court: “ the market and competition monitoring conducted by Dr Dobler was integrated into specific product definitions, no matter what segment it was. Dr Dobler co-created our product development plan. The fathers of the EL binocular have been Dr Seil as optical designer, Daniel Murg as mechanical designer and Dr Dobler for product management and marketing. This was the most successful year in the company history when Swarovski Optik introduced the EL”.

These quotations speak for themselves and there is more information available if needed.

Troubador: Dr Dobler, thank you for being so open and frank with my questions and I look forward to other opportunities to talk to you in the future.

Dr Dobler: You are welcome and I hope the knowledgeable enthusiasts on Bird Forum continue to discuss binoculars and optics and keep all the manufacturers on the alert.

Lee

Lee,

Better interview than the first one in which his answers were a bit vague and needed follow-ups, which you got to do this time. It's obvious that you've gained his trust. However, even after your pointed question about Dobler's creative involvement with the design of the EL, there was nothing in what he said or what Frau Carina Schiestl-Swarovski testified to in court that confirmed your statement that Swaro "worked to develop a concept originated by you."

If anything, the opposite seems to be true since Frau Schnitzel-Swarovski states: The fathers of the EL binocular have been Dr Seil as optical designer, Daniel Murg as mechanical designer and Dr Dobler for product management and marketing.

IOW, he didn't create the EL, he managed the project and marketed it. But in your first interview with Dobler, you showed the prototype of the original EL, which had an elliptical hole in the middle rather than the double hinge design, and you wrote: However Dobler was not in favour of this proposal because it gave insufficient hand space and suggested that the second bridge be located right down by the objectives, so that the customer would be able to get a really good grip on the binoculars.

I was hoping that in the follow-up interview that you would pin him down on this point, but he evaded it, as only a true marketing person could! Either that, or something was lost in the translation.

Oh, well, it was a team collaboration, after all, and only a fly on the wall knows who contributed which elements of the overall design and specific details. It's like listening to individual interviews by Lennon and McCartney, in which each claims credit for a particular phrase or part of a song they wrote 20 years earlier. George Martin probably knows the truth, but that's about it.

What your follow-up did show is how litigious Swarovski is. Not only did the company threaten to sue Nikon for its double bridge EDG, but it also sued Dobler when he left the company, though it's unclear if he was in breach of contract. That is, he might have left before his contract was up or maybe he refused to sign an confidentially agreement that he would not use what he had learned or helped develop at Swarovski for Zeiss. You can ask him that question Part III.

I'm still befuddled why the litigious Swarovski hasn't sued Zeiss over the SF design, particularly since Dobler was involved and they sued him. Maybe they're waiting for the SF to be mass marketed so they can hurt the company financially the way they hurt Nikon, which had to shoulder the cost of redesigning the EDG and replacing customers' EDG Is with EDG IIs at the company's expense (to the benefit of all those who bought cheaper EDG Is and sold their more expensive EDG IIs for a tidy profit).

Of course, now that I realize that you are translating his words from German, I can understand why you couldn't do follow-ups immediately when something didn't sound kosher or needed clarification.

What do you do? Record his interview? Then transcribe it and translate it with Google translate?

The problem with digital translation is that there are idioms that do not translate literally. Anyone who has read Pier's reviews on binomania knows the unintelligible "Googlish" idioms can create. I had four years of German and I don't know all the idioms, and I still have to think about the case endings whereas native Germans don't think about parts of the sentence, they just speak it that way, because the grew hearing it spoken.

The revelation that the 10x32 FL has field flatteners was a shocker! Why the 10x model and not the 8x32? Why not the HTs if that's the direction they were going? Seems fishy. I think you should fact check this with Mike Jensen or Gary.

But otherwise, great job! I enjoyed it, and now back to doing interviews of my own on the topics related to the shale gas industry. :cat:

Brock

Last edited:
The revelation that the 10x32 FL has field flatteners was a shocker! Why the 10x model and not the 8x32? Why not the HTs if that's the direction they were going? Seems fishy. I think you should fact check this with Mike Jensen or Gary.

Not such a shocker, really. The "field flattener" here is probably a Smyth lens (as used in the original Koehler design) placed in front of the eyepiece primarily to decrease its effective focal length and thus increase the magnification from 8x to 10x. A flatter field is a side effect of that arrangement. The Leica Ultravid 10x32 and 12x50 appear to do the same thing. They have two extra lens elements compared to the 8x32 and 10x50, almost certainly Smyth/Barlow groups at the front of the eyepiece focal plane. So, I guess Leica could also claim that they have already used "field flatteners".

Last edited:
Brock,

By and large I agree with your comments; he was largely evasive. However, rather than saying: "how litigious Swarovski is" my thinking is how legally embroiled Dr. Dobler's employment history is.

It's pretty clear that he is no longer in Swarovski's good graces, and considering the problems with their new lineup, at this point Zeiss may not be too thrilled with him either.

Ed

So I`m not holding an SF properly when I see a blue fringe, funny how I can manage an EII with an even wider field with no problems at all.

I must practice not tilting a an SF, what a crock.

Lee,

Better interview than the first one in which his answers were a bit vague and needed follow-ups, which you got to do this time. It's obvious that you've gained his trust. However, even after your pointed question about Dobler's creative involvement with the design of the EL, there was nothing in what he said or what Frau Carina Schiestl-Swarovski testified to in court that confirmed your statement that Swaro "worked to develop a concept originated by you."

If anything, the opposite seems to be true since Frau Schnitzel-Swarovski states: The fathers of the EL binocular have been Dr Seil as optical designer, Daniel Murg as mechanical designer and Dr Dobler for product management and marketing.

IOW, he didn't create the EL, he managed the project and marketed it. But in your first interview with Dobler, you showed the prototype of the original EL, which had an elliptical hole in the middle rather than the double hinge design, and you wrote: However Dobler was not in favour of this proposal because it gave insufficient hand space and suggested that the second bridge be located right down by the objectives, so that the customer would be able to get a really good grip on the binoculars.

I was hoping that in the follow-up interview that you would pin him down on this point, but he evaded it, as only a true marketing person could! Either that, or something was lost in the translation.

Oh, well, it was a team collaboration, after all, and only a fly on the wall knows who contributed which elements of the overall design and specific details. It's like listening to individual interviews by Lennon and McCartney, in which each claims credit for a particular phrase or part of a song they wrote 20 years earlier. George Martin probably knows the truth, but that's about it.

Brock

Hi Brock

Can't say I found Dr Dobler evasive about the EL at all. From the first interview and from this one, my understanding is that he defined what the EL should be in terms of optical and physical specs and also contributed the two bridges/including one down by the objectives/no axle between the bridges/ concept. Hoelbel translated this into an external design, Seil developed the optical train and Murg designed the mechanics.

The whole project was managed by Dobler and the final specification to be achieved and the open bridge concept was his.

I think this means EL was his baby but he is always quick to point out the contributions made by Seil and Murg.

I am puzzled by your idea that there was something to pin Dobler down about referring to the twin bridge idea that was resisted by the other members of the team until a Swarovski family member said he couldn't see why it couldn't be done. What requires 'pinning down here?'

Dr Dobler speaks excellent English and the first interview was recorded. This latest one was done face to face but with me taking notes rather than recording as there was so much to do going through the legal documents back and forth and taking a lot of time.

Lee

Brock,

By and large I agree with your comments; he was largely evasive. However, rather than saying: "how litigious Swarovski is" my thinking is how legally embroiled Dr. Dobler's employment history is.

It's pretty clear that he is no longer in Swarovski's good graces, and considering the problems with their new lineup, at this point Zeiss may not be too thrilled with him either.

Ed

Hi Ed

You make it sound like Dr Dobler has had a bucket load of legal cases to deal with. As far as I know there has been one. Do tell us more if you know different.

As for Zeiss not being thrilled with him either you are clearly better informed about this than I am.

Lee

...The revelation that the 10x32 FL has field flatteners was a shocker! Why the 10x model and not the 8x32?...

It would only be a shocker if the Zeiss 10x32 FL had an SF-like view and that nobody had noticed before. Unfortunately, that isn't the case--although it is a very impressive binocular in my opinion (in fact, the only 10x32 that I have ever looked through and liked, owing to its unique combination of low CA, impressive brightness, and excellent eye-relief) it isn't the SV or the 10x32 SF prequel. Maybe the field is flatter than the other FL models, but I would say all FL models (or at least all the models I am familiar with, including the 8x32, 8x42, and 7x42) have very flat fields in the sense of having low field curvature. But all FL models, including the 10x32, have astigmatism (that is especially sensitive to eye placement compared to anything I've tried from Leica, Swarovski or Nikon), so the view is not sharp to the edge. The same could be said for the waterproof version of the B&L 8x42 Elite--it has a very flat field, but with lots of astigmatism. Unfortunately, "field flattener" is used ambiguously, to refer to correction of field curvature, or astigmatism, or , as in the case of "field flattener technology" (and other locutions to refer to the highly corrected peripheral fields of the Nikon Venturer LX/HG, Nikon EDG, Swarovski SV, and now Zeiss SF bins), both.

--AP

Lee, sometimes I think that here at BF hearsay, guesswork and wishful thinking play a big part.;)
I think it strange, how important it seems, whether Dobler played a big/small/ none at all part in developing the Sf. It was team-work anway, so what? Nit-picking for what purpose?

I really enjoy these interviews, thank you for the effort

Hi Brock

Can't say I found Dr Dobler evasive about the EL at all. From the first interview and from this one, my understanding is that he defined what the EL should be in terms of optical and physical specs and also contributed the two bridges/including one down by the objectives/no axle between the bridges/ concept. Hoelbel translated this into an external design, Seil developed the optical train and Murg designed the mechanics.

The whole project was managed by Dobler and the final specification to be achieved and the open bridge concept was his.

I think this means EL was his baby but he is always quick to point out the contributions made by Seil and Murg.

I am puzzled by your idea that there was something to pin Dobler down about referring to the twin bridge idea that was resisted by the other members of the team until a Swarovski family member said he couldn't see why it couldn't be done. What requires 'pinning down here?'

Dr Dobler speaks excellent English and the first interview was recorded. This latest one was done face to face but with me taking notes rather than recording as there was so much to do going through the legal documents back and forth and taking a lot of time.

Lee

I meant that in both interviews he never directly said "quote/unquote" the role you attributed to him when asked. Not that I expected him to say, "Ja, the idea vas mine, mine, mine, Seil and Murg vere just lackies. ;) I thought he was just being modest, being a team effort and all, but now that he's being frank, and coming out about the lawsuit, I was surprised he still couched his words carefully. Ed apparently felt the same way, though I know nothing about Dobler's legal issues prior to him leaving Swarovski.

Where did you get the information about Dobler coming up with the twin bridge idea?

So you understand and write auf Deutsche? We used to have oral test each month in my college German class. I dreaded it. I aced the written exams, but my teacher was from southern Germany, near the Austrian border, and she had a thick Bavarian accent like Disney's Professor Ludwig Von Drake. I had a hard time understanding her, because in the language labs, the speakers on the tapes spoke Hoch Deutche.

Brock

Last edited:
Lee, sometimes I think that here at BF hearsay, guesswork and wishful thinking play a big part.;)
I think it strange, how important it seems, whether Dobler played a big/small/ none at all part in developing the Sf. It was team-work anway, so what? Nit-picking for what purpose?

I really enjoy these interviews, thank you for the effort

As a journalist, it's my job to nitpick (nose picking is optional). :smoke:

<B>

It would only be a shocker if the Zeiss 10x32 FL had an SF-like view and that nobody had noticed before. Unfortunately, that isn't the case--although it is a very impressive binocular in my opinion (in fact, the only 10x32 that I have ever looked through and liked, owing to its unique combination of low CA, impressive brightness, and excellent eye-relief) it isn't the SV or the 10x32 SF prequel. Maybe the field is flatter than the other FL models, but I would say all FL models (or at least all the models I am familiar with, including the 8x32, 8x42, and 7x42) have very flat fields in the sense of having low field curvature. But all FL models, including the 10x32, have astigmatism (that is especially sensitive to eye placement compared to anything I've tried from Leica, Swarovski or Nikon), so the view is not sharp to the edge. The same could be said for the waterproof version of the B&L 8x42 Elite--it has a very flat field, but with lots of astigmatism. Unfortunately, "field flattener" is used ambiguously, to refer to correction of field curvature, or astigmatism, or , as in the case of "field flattener technology" (and other locutions to refer to the highly corrected peripheral fields of the Nikon Venturer LX/HG, Nikon EDG, Swarovski SV, and now Zeiss SF bins), both.

--AP

I can't see the point in adding a field flattener to a bin with astigmatism at the edges. If the idea was to create a flat field, you'd think the designers would take out both aberrations at the edges not just field curvature. I'm still doubtful about this factoid from Dobler. Makes no sense why Zeiss would stick FFs in the 10x32 model and no other. As Sheldon would say: It is illogical.

<B>

I can't see the point in adding a field flattener to a bin with astigmatism at the edges. If the idea was to create a flat field, you'd think the designers would take out both aberrations at the edges not just field curvature. I'm still doubtful about this factoid from Dobler. Makes no sense why Zeiss would stick FFs in the 10x32 model and no other. As Sheldon would say: It is illogical.

<B>

Henry posed an answer to that in Post #3 above.

You aren't still in the "Rabbit Hole" are you?;)

Bob

<B>

I thought Henry explained it quite well in post #3

Not such a shocker, really. The "field flattener" here is probably a Smyth lens (as used in the original Koehler design) placed in front of the eyepiece primarily to decrease its effective focal length and thus increase the magnification from 8x to 10x. A flatter field is a side effect of that arrangement. The Leica Ultravid 10x32 and 12x50 appear to do the same thing. They have two extra lens elements compared to the 8x32 and 10x50, almost certainly Smyth/Barlow groups at the front of the eyepiece focal plane. So, I guess Leica could also claim that they have already used "field flatteners".

--AP

<B>

For a riter, you sure ain't no good at reedin....;)

"Schnitzel"-Swarovski (post 2). Auto-correct, you gotta love it!

Sorry to have interrupted your wrangling, fellas, but I couldn't resist. ;)

Hi Ed

You make it sound like Dr Dobler has had a bucket load of legal cases to deal with. As far as I know there has been one. Do tell us more if you know different.

As for Zeiss not being thrilled with him either you are clearly better informed about this than I am.

Lee

Hi Lee,

I only know what you included from the interview:

...I should explain that when I left Swarovski, the company sought to obtain compensation for my leaving in the Austrian courts. This court case is finished and in the past and I only mention it now to explain how my job description came to be discussed in legal documents.
I'll stick with what I said in post #4. If Swarovski entered into litigation to obtain compensation for his leaving, it's fair to say he wasn't in their good graces at the time and his employment history was embroiled. Obviously, that may not be the interpretation he (or you) wanted. But he said it.

Continuing further, he quotes Swarovski as saying during the proceedings:
... She further claimed that the function of Dr Dobler was also “to inform the management about the results of his product line”. (Note from Troubador: I checked the translation of the word ‘seiner’ to verify that the phrase “his product line”, which is very important in this context, is correct, and indeed ‘seiner’ does directly translate as “his”).
All product managers have an area of responsibility to keep higher management informed about, so I don't get the added contextual importance of "his."

Ed

Last edited:
Hi Lee,

I only know what you included from the interview:

I'll stick with what I said in post #4. If Swarovski entered into litigation to obtain compensation for his leaving, it's fair to say he wasn't in their good graces at the time and his employment history was embroiled. Obviously, that may not be the interpretation he wanted. But he said it.

Ed

This may concern "intellectual property." Which is an an increasing concern for those with "intellect." ;)

Mark

This may concern "intellectual property." Which is an an increasing concern for those with "intellect." ;)

Mark

In a business such as the R&D in designing optics at this level, the
usual contract for employment would include a non-compete clause,
and it looks like Dobler was in court because of this issue.

I suppose that has been made clear, and it is just a part of how
things get done in the business world.

Some businesses get away with direct copying or cloning, and
there is a very long list of the frustration with the ignoring of
patent rights and trade secrets. Chinese manufacturing leads the
list here.

Jerry

Mark

Mark,

... or property. ;) Actually, we also don't know who the defendants were or the trial outcome. It might have included Zeiss or not. Frankly, though, I thought it very peculiar to use past litigation as a context for answering Lee's questions; but I have nothing against Dr. Dobler.

Ed

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back