• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ID from call and behavior? (1 Viewer)

AJP

ID from call and behavior? - Central PA

I'm new to birding and am just starting to learn the calls (at least I know most of the birds in my state by sight). I was out walking a saw a brown bird with heavy streaking, about the size of a House Finch (a bit hard to tell in the branches). He was a happy fellow and kept repeating the same call over and over: a loud, clear, TWEET-TWEET-TWEET-TWEET-TWEEEEEET. The first four were sharp and fast, and the last one was like the sound you would make in your throat if you would imitate the neighing of a horse. Each time during the call he thew his head back, and on the last vibrating tweet, his whole body shook!

Any help here?

Sounds a bit like a Northern Waterthrush, both song and physical descriptions, but I don't know that I have ever seen one in a tree.

What was the habitat like where you saw the bird?

Mike

That kind of seems like a song sparrow to me. Their songs vary a bit, but what AJP described sounds like one of the songs I hear them do sometimes.

No water nearby. An open field on both sides of a row of trees, many of them dead. I checked Cornell's page and the description matches:

loud, clanking song of 2–6 phrases that typically starts with abrupt, well-spaced notes and finishes with a buzz or trill.

I counted either 5, or more commonly 4, sharp TWEETS before the trill.

However, it's curious that most of the recordings showcase a variety of pitches within the call; the one I heard was all one note.

Curious and curiouser. :)

If it wasn't for the description of heavy streaking I would have suggested Field Sparrow.

Only the juveniles would have any streaking and I don't know if they would sing.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back