• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

yellow fever (1 Viewer)

terry jz

have had many conflicting views on this subject can anybody tell me whether i should have a yellow fever jab. i am going on a family holiday to Gambia in March and plan to take a day trip into Senegal. I am lead to believe you need one to get back into The Gambia from Senegal

I don't know the answer to your question and can only suggest never to seek medical advice on the net. Ask a local pharmacist or book an appointment with your GP or ring NHS direct (if that service is still running).

Whilst its always best to get proper medical advice we seemed to have survived years of travelling in all sorts of places ignoring it!
We did take the malaria tablets which cost peanuts for Gambia.
As for the rest we just didn't bother.
We lived to tell the tale!
I am sure there will be those out there who think this is foolhardy but that's our choice.
Have a great holiday and if it puts your mind at ease its better to be safe than sorry!

maybe i should clarify what i am asking for. i am not asking if you think i should protect myself from yellow fever, but simply if anybody has been to Senegal and had trouble trying to return into The Gambia without having a yellow fever jab
as for smithhaddon123 if you do not know the answer to a question then dont bother replying with something as obvious as seek medical advice. all you are accomplishing is to annoy people with enough common sense to realise that a bird forum is not a medical organisation and increasing the amount of post you have sent

maybe i should clarify what i am asking for. i am not asking if you think i should protect myself from yellow fever, but simply if anybody has been to Senegal and had trouble trying to return into The Gambia without having a yellow fever jab
as for smithhaddon123 if you do not know the answer to a question then dont bother replying with something as obvious as seek medical advice. all you are accomplishing is to annoy people with enough common sense to realise that a bird forum is not a medical organisation and increasing the amount of post you have sent

Sorry! I didn't read the question properly.
May I suggest you pose the question on Gambia Trip Advisor Forum.
There are a lot of very helpful advisors there who I am sure will have personal experience.
When you find out the answer I would be interested to know what the position is.

Last edited:
Just done a quick search and the following question and answer came up.
The only problem is the question was posed in 2010 and things might have changed.

all,

Was just wondering if anyone has done a day trip to North Senegal with arch tours (or similar), and if yes, were you asked to show a yellow fever jab certificate?

Hi

I spoke with Abdul at Arch just a few days ago You definately dont need a YF certificate There was a close call a few months back when a minor outbreak occurred and the WHO considered changing the endemic classification(not a problem) to epidemic but the victims were isolated and contained and it all fizzled out rgds

Pratincol. I spent ages looking through lots of trip reports written on this and other sites trying to find one that I could relate to. most of them were very good but written from a bird tour point of view. Then I found yours this was very helpful as I am staying in the same place and will be able to visit many of the same places. I tried to thank you on the end of your post but the post was too old so by luck you have replied to mine. Thank you

Pratincol. I spent ages looking through lots of trip reports written on this and other sites trying to find one that I could relate to. most of them were very good but written from a bird tour point of view. Then I found yours this was very helpful as I am staying in the same place and will be able to visit many of the same places. I tried to thank you on the end of your post but the post was too old so by luck you have replied to mine. Thank you

You mean you are staying at the Sheraton or in the Brufut area?
If you are staying at the Sheraton lucky you!
We had a great holiday there.The beauty of it is that you can walk to Tanji Forest Reserve,Tanji Lagoons and Brufut Woods .
If you are staying at the Sheraton please confirm as I can give you precise details about how to approach these areas.
I posed a question on Gambia Trip Advisor last night.
I have copied 2 of the replies both from reliable contributors which may answer your query about Senegal.
Have a great time.

1] No YF certificate is not required to re enter Gambia from Senegal and if you hold a UK/EU/ECOWAS passport neither is a visa rgds

2] Didnt need a visa for Sengegal or the yellow fever cert when I went last
month.

I will be staying at the Sheraton from 15th March
Brilliant!
I enclose info I have posted for other visitors.
Have a great time!
The Sheraton birds

If you do manage to get there the water treatment pool is right next to the spa.
The Squacco Heron was there every day,the Green Sandpiper was there most days and the Pygmy Heron was seen there on one visit.
The pond drains out to a small stream and goes over the cliff.The stream is surrounded by grasses and vegetation.There was a Zitting Cisticola there most days as well as 4 Double Spurred Francolins which I sometimes accidentally disturbed on a few occasions.
The were some Black Headed Plovers and Wattled Plovers in the dry scrubby area just south of the pool as well as a Black Crowned Tchagra and Chiffchaff in the wooded area near the telecommunication mast.
To reach this area just step over the dry concrete channel beyond the pool to the south of the hotel.
The other wet area in the grounds is to the north of the main reception area.There are extensive lawns which are very boggy in parts and there were always lots of birds around here.
Just north of the entrance gate to the hotel there is an extensive scrubby area which was always teeming with birds.
Just walk past the entrance gate which will be on your right and enter the scrubby area.There are many paths through this area.Keep on going as far as you like or have the time.
Nobody ever goes here hence the number of birds.
In this area I saw birds such as Yellow Fronted Canary, Grey Headed Sparrow, Black winged Red Bishop, Village Weaver, Little Weaver, African Silverbill, Red Cheeked Cordon Bleu, Red Billed Firefinch, Bronze Mannikan, Pin Tailed Whydah,Black Shouldred Kite. and a Blue Bellied Roller.Take care walking around here as there were lots of grounded birds which I never noticed were there till they flew up.

If you have time to go to the pool bar help yourself to a couple of sunbeds and park yourself on the edge next to the beach to the left of the pool.There was always a constant stream of Caspian,Royal Terns, and Grey Headed Gull.If you look to the left you can see where the stream from the water treatment pool
reaches the sea.There were always a lot of birds gathered here including Western Reef Heron,Grey Headed Gull and a regular Slender Bill Gull.
Ospreys often passed and Gannets could be seen ocassionally further out to sea.

Brufut and TanjiI didn't use guides because I like to do my own thing.
Maybe a guide for Brufut because its quite diffuicult to find.
I went under my own steam because the entrance to Brufut Village was just across the road from the hotel.
The Tanji Forest Reserve is easily done on your own.If you get a taxi to the Sheraton ask them to drop you off at the police checkpoint just past the Sheraton[it will cost peanuts from Kololi]Head in an southeasterly direction along the wide path from the police checkpoint till you reach a north south path bounded by a wall.Walk south till you reach a small mosque.
Loads of birds just past the mosque.The taxi driver could pick you up say 2 hours later.
Its a wonderful habitat.Miles and miles of forest and unspoilt countryside with very few people around.
The Tanji lagoons can definitely be done on your own.The taxi drivers know the entrance which is on the other side of the road about a quarter of a mile from the checkpoint.You pay a small entrance fee at the entrance and head in a south west direction along the main track.
They have guides at the hut as they do at Abuko if you want to hire a guide.
You can therefore decide when you get there whether you want a guide.
An alternative is to be dropped off at the Tanji Lagons hut and have a look at the lagoons.They are about 15 minutes from the hut.
Then go back to the hut and cross the road.There is a pleasant path on the other side.Walk north along the road till you come to an unmarked dirt track on your right.
This is another entrance to Tanji Forest reserve,Walk in an easterly direction till you hit the abovementioned north /south track near the mosque.Teeming with birds all around here.Then head back along the track to the main road and to the hut.
I would allow for 3 hours at least if you combine the lagoons with the forest reserve.
Sanyang is definitley one you could do with or without a guide.I only mention it because like the Tanji Forest Reserve it doesn't seem to be covered much by as many birdwatchers[I never saw one other birdwatcher at Tanji!]The green taxis advertise it as Paradise Beach.They actually drop you off at Sanyang Point where there are a few beach bars.You walk south along the beach.As you walk south there are lots of birds along the shore or in the fields and bushes.You will notice a lot of fishing activity as you walk south.Head towards the fishing boats till you get to the main dirt track entrance to the fishing centre.Walk along this track 50 yards and there is a huge lagoon to your right.It was full of birds and water even in April after months without rain.
Again the taxi driver will pick you up after an agreed time where he dropped you off.
I would leave 3 hours to give you more time.
Even better ask the taxi driver to drop you off at the Paradise beach fishing centre.You will be right next to the lagoons then so you may only need a 2 hour stop.
Its a lovely unspoilt area with great views south all the way to Senegal.A million miles away from the tourist strip.
Whether you use guides is a personal choice.
I was put off them at Abuko.I went on my own and worked out all the birds myself.An older gentleman was being taken round with a guide.I asked him if he was going to be taken to the Tanji Lagoons because not only is it a lovely unspoilt area but it was brilliant for birds.It wasn't far from the Sheraton so I went most days it was so good.
He said rather wistfully that he wanted to go but the guide decided otherwise!.So he was paying a guide who was setting the agenda and not the other way round.
I also bumped into 2 people being dragged round by a guide at Brufut Woods.The guide was simply setting up the scope pointing at a bird.The the followers were just looking through the scope and ticking off another species.Didn't seem much of a challenge.
The guide also started shouting out the names of species he could lead me to, naming a daft price for each one.
I said no thanks and went on my merry way.
I never got any hassle in any of these places in fact I seldom saw another soul apart from at Sanyang fishing centre which is teeming with fisherfolk.They are so busy working they don't bother you.
Have a great holiday! Lifers every day and wall to wall sunshine!

The vast majority of tourists visiting The G return safe and sound. Many are repeat visitors -a significant number of whom have not had Yellow Fever vaccine (mainly because it is fairly expensive and is a hassle to get as it is only administered at designated centres). Some tourists take no anti-malarials and get away with it.

But know this -The Gambia holds at least 6 species of primate, excluding humans. With the possible exception of the feral Chimps in the River Gambia NP and Bushbabies, these primates are a reservoir for Yellow Fever which is effectively endemic throughout the country. Aedes mosquitoes are the vector. It just needs one infected Vervet Monkey in Kiang West to be bitten by an Aedes Mozzie which then bites you as you sip a cool julbrew in Tendaba camp after a good day birding for you to experience the delights of a haemorrhagic fever! OK, on probability this is not very likely BUT it does happen -so why run the risk when there is an effective vaccine (which will cover you for 10 years of South-American/Sub-Saharan African birding).

The situation with anti-malaria prophylaxis is worse. Falciparum malaria is a real and serious threat -especially to Caucasian birders (who scramble about in mosquito infested forests/wetlands and have absolutely no inherent natural immunity). All birders visiting The Gambia should ensure that they take currently effective anti-falciparum malaria prophylaxis.

To return to the initial query regarding Yellow Fever certification, my understanding was that tourists moving between Senegal and The Gambia are expected to show evidence of Yellow Fever vaccination.

I found this in the FAQs section of The Gambia Experience website ( http://www.gambia.co.uk/Docs/Travel-Info/Know-Before-You-Go/FAQ.aspx ):

"Under International Health Regulations, a certificate of yellow fever vaccination is required from travellers over 9 months of age travelling from The Gambia to Senegal or vice versa."

Given the shambolic situation at border crossing sites this is very unlikely to be effectively policed and besides a small wad of dalasi always circumvents red tape (sadly!).
Don't take the risk -small as it may be; get immunised!

I should add a footnote to this. Yellow Fever vaccine is a live attenuated virus vaccine -the virus is cultured in chick embryos, it is contra-indicated (should not be given) to those with egg allergy, young kids ( under 9 months) and individuals who are immunocompromised or on immuno-suppressant drugs (eg steroids, many anti-rheumatoid medications, graft-rejection drugs such as ciclosporin, etc).

Last edited:
Excellent advice re Yellow Fever and Malaria from a man who does know his stuff and offers his advice on the web.

Re border crossings, I can't answer the question about the crossing in or out of Senegal but I was surprised that my wife was reprimanded by a UK Passport Control officer on re entry to the UK for having her Yellow Fever inoculation card attached by a rubber band in the middle of her passport. He removed it ! We have had them there for about 20 prior trips without comment.

Thanks everyone for replies. For those interested I have had all required jabs including YF. And we have a certificate of exception for the wife. Cons outweighed the pros in her (medical)case. She was my main concern at the boarder if we do decide to cross. So now I'm on countdown. I shall post a report when I return and hope it may be helpful to someone. Thanks again

Yes, will read the report with great interest. I have spotted a few places in Senegal that I fancy visiting as well as keeping in touch with what's happening in TG.

Just to wade into the YF debate. We went for a week to TG this February and spent £110 on 2 YF jabs.
I got into a conversation with a local waiter one evening and he's never had YF in over 40 years living there. I thought 'what a bloody rip-off'. £110 to the pharmaceutical-medical industry. When you think what that can buy in TG e.g 6 bags of rice (enough to feed a village for quite some time) or basic medicines such as aspirin or anti-biotics.

Its non-sense i think, and I'm a medically qualified doctor.

Padraig

ps not to mention how many pints of guinness
B :)

Just to wade into the YF debate. We went for a week to TG this February and spent £110 on 2 YF jabs.
I got into a conversation with a local waiter one evening and he's never had YF in over 40 years living there. I thought 'what a bloody rip-off'. £110 to the pharmaceutical-medical industry. When you think what that can buy in TG e.g 6 bags of rice (enough to feed a village for quite some time) or basic medicines such as aspirin or anti-biotics.

Padraig

The problem is if you go to your GP they have to cover themselves as much as anything.So they go by the book and recommend every jab and pill going.
Some people go along with it and others like us ignore the advice.
We err on the side of not being over cautious and have lived to tell the tale!
Most people I spoke to hadn't bothered with Yellow fever or anything else apart from the malaria tablets.
If you want to be totally sure go along with the GP's advice.

Padraig

Aye, Padraig let's take some health advice from a Gambian waiter!
The chances are that your waiter has already been vaccinated!

Following the 1978-1979 yellow fever epidemic in the Gambia, a mass yellow fever vaccination programme was carried out, with a 97% coverage of the population over 6 months of age. Subsequently, yellow fever vaccination was added to the EPI Programme. The Gambia has since then maintained a coverage of over 80%, without a reported case of yellow fever in a Gambian despite the country being surrounded by Senegal which experienced yellow fever outbreaks in 1995 and 1996.

However a 47-year-old Belgian woman acquired yellow fever during a 1-week vacation in The Gambia in November 2001 whilst staying at a hotel in Bakau; she had never been vaccinated against yellow fever. She died of massive gastrointestinal haemorrhage!

I appreciate that the risks are not at all great but orthodox international medical recommendation remains that tourists visiting The Gambia should seek yellow fever vaccination prior to their visit. I don't think this advice is based upon the desire to make a few bucks by ripping off travellers!

Here is a cheaky wee link. Read the abstract of this clinical paper and make your own mind up:
http://cid.oxfordjournals.org/content/35/10/e113.full

Another guinness Dr Padraig? B :)

That's a good cogent argument in favour, Steve. Sounds like the Gambian authorities did well to get on top of the outbreak. And the Belgian woman's experience was unfortunate.
The risk though must be very low, given the level of immunity due to local vaccinations, so I'm like Pratincole. if I were to do it again, I wouldnt.

speaking of one off deaths, an Indian construction worker drowned in the pool at the Seregambia while we were there. I, and a few other doctors tried to save him but his lungs were full of water. An ambulance came fairly quickly but they had no life-saving equipment on board. In a earopean country he might have had a chance. In Kololi, the police didn't even turn up to find out what happened. Nobody seems to know, maybe he banged his head.

While I'm here, I'm trying to find out how to start a thread to write my trip report.
Can anyone tell be where to look on the homepage?

Yep, I'll have that pint now Steve, thank you.

Padraig

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back