• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The British List (1 Viewer)

Lawts

Supa Silly Un
Does anyone have a link to the official British list, including the one-offs and the extinct?

It never seems as readily available as the Birding British list.

Thanks.

Does anyone have a link to the official British list, including the one-offs and the extinct?

It never seems as readily available as the Birding British list.

Thanks.

think all occurences/statuses are on butterfly conservation although not a list per se.

think all occurences/statuses are on butterfly conservation although not a list per se.

It's strange - I've noticed people don't seem to chase the list the same as they do in Birding - whether it's the unlikely success rate in twitching a rare, or whether it's the worry of never knowing if a rare had been put down.

In Birding, there are some birds on the list that will never occur again, but birders tend to keep them all on the radar - whereas in butterflying I glean from the forums that it's the regulars that people aim for, excluding the likes of Camberwell Beauty and Monarch - it would be the equivalent of having a birding target list of all the regular breeders and those that over winter, plus regular drift migrants etc. - Clouded Yellow being say Red-breasted Fly, and stopping there.

I guess the next level that people are in with a chance of are:

Camberwell Beauty
Monarch
Large Tortoiseshell
Long-tailed Blue
Queen of Spain

Nobody seems too concerned about chasing, when news of one of these breaks - you know me James - can't help myself - I'll be on the road.

It's strange - I've noticed people don't seem to chase the list the same as they do in Birding - whether it's the unlikely success rate in twitching a rare, or whether it's the worry of never knowing if a rare had been put down.

In Birding, there are some birds on the list that will never occur again, but birders tend to keep them all on the radar - whereas in butterflying I glean from the forums that it's the regulars that people aim for, excluding the likes of Camberwell Beauty and Monarch - it would be the equivalent of having a birding target list of all the regular breeders and those that over winter, plus regular drift migrants etc. - Clouded Yellow being say Red-breasted Fly, and stopping there.

I guess the next level that people are in with a chance of are:

Camberwell Beauty
Monarch
Large Tortoiseshell
Long-tailed Blue
Queen of Spain

Nobody seems too concerned about chasing, when news of one of these breaks - you know me James - can't help myself - I'll be on the road.

Its when its a Map - its like a Hooded Merganser or Marbled Teal. To tick or not to tick (ship assisted? more like cabbage assisted).

Camberwell Beauty
Monarch
Large Tortoiseshell
Long-tailed Blue
Queen of Spain

Not sure about that. There are people round here still sore that a phone message about Monarchs heading east past South Cumbria weren't picked up by Lancashire observers in time to do anything about it.

Stephen

I figured too that those must be factors, as well as possibly gen getting out less, especially if like me you don't have a pager. I'd have to rely entirely on people posting on here or on UK Butterflies.

I must say, I thoroughly enjoyed the Black-veined White twitch of a few years ago, even though I believe the overwhelming opinion was that it was plastic. I only heard about it through birdforum. There was something totally one stage more nuts, about arriving at the site, and desperately getting the low down from the twitchers of the last couple of flowers it was seen to visit. And the desperate wait as the other twitchers all left. Then the increased desperation as my girlfriend gradually got more bored and wanted to go. And the desperate grilling of all distant flying whites. And the final buzz of the 'My god there it is!' And the ludicrous follow up of the 'Blimey it's crawling on my finger'.

I hope there's a migrant I can twitch this summer.

Last edited:
I figured too that those must be factors, as well as possibly gen getting out less.

Do you suspect that's why the official british list isn't as obvious as well? You shouldn't have to search the net for it - it should be available in all the butterfly guides but never seems to be.

Interesting point. Is there even an official British list of butterflies deemed to have occurred here naturally, and if so who has decided what the criteria for acceptance on that list are?

I believe that a national rarities committee style body is a very new thing for dragonflies. Is there one for butterflies?

Food for thought. We know where we are with birds,don't we? Is there a body that maintains a British moth and butterfly list?
Guys,from purely selfish point of view,I need to keep on top of the moths I'm trapping. Does anyone use a generic list,or recording software? I write down and photograph the critters,but in no particular order!
Cheers,
Jim.

A systematic list is available on UKmoths:-

http://ukmoths.org.uk/systematic.php

I anticipate that it is pretty much up to date as it includes Common Forest Looper (1965a). I believe that the official list is now maintained by the British Museum who ascribe new numbers into the taxonomic order? The official list includes adventives and one offs but I am not sure whether there is a threshold regarding the stage at which an adventive occurs for it to be included.

A lot of people use Mapmate for their recording:-

http://www.mapmate.co.uk/

It is that sort of software which allows on-line distributions/statuses such as those on Somerset Moths to be compiled:-

http://www.somersetmothgroup.org.uk/portal/p/Distribution/s/Hepialus+hecta

To my shame, I have various records on Excel spreadsheets. I wish I had started off with Mapmate.

All the best

Paul Chapman

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back