• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Who Killed Horizon? (1 Viewer)

Silvershark

Okay, who killed Horizon?

Anyone watched that My Pet Dinosaur thing? I've watched a bit of it online and the only question I want answering is why has Horizon dropped down to silly science (and what happened to the other narrator because I loved his voice, this new one sounds like a CBEEBIES presenter!).

Going by what I've seen of the documentary, Bird Forum needs renaming Dinosaur Forum! Doesn't matter that birds have evolved FROM dinosaurs changing in ways that, though they are related, makes them different.

I'm thinking they've suffered a budget cut and can't afford decent scientists...

Next episode is "The Elephants Guide To Sex". Why can I just see the people behind it giggling like thirteen year olds over having the word sex in their title? (The programme is supposed to be about how modern techniques such as artificial insemination are helping endangered species).

No I haven't watched it Kat but what you mention seems to me typical of the dumbing down that we have to suffer in much of the media. A lot of it seems popular with large numbers of people or perhaps they just watch and read what is served up. Not for me I'm afraid.

Cheers

I agree Kat, it was very disappointing to see what Horizon has become.

I missed the beginning but the few minutes I saw consisted of a dramatised interview of a supposed human farmer of dinosaurs in a hypothetical future in which due to dinosaurs not becoming extinct, mammals had not survived!

Apparently the dinosaurs were quite well behaved and no bother at all really. So thats nice. :)

For the sake of my sanity and the safety of my tv, I had to turn it off.

I saw it, it was pretty bad. I don't think the idea was a bad one, but the way the programme was put together was a little (actually a lot) silly.

Still some interesting stuff though. That guy who thought that all evolution would direct itself to a set number of prime examples, it seems farfetched but its an interesting thought. I'd like to see some evidence for his thinking.

But generally yeah, i'm in agreement, Kat.

chris3871 said:
I don't think the idea was a bad one, but the way the programme was put together was a little (actually a lot) silly.

Still some interesting stuff though. That guy who thought that all evolution would direct itself to a set number of prime examples, it seems farfetched but its an interesting thought. I'd like to see some evidence for his thinking.

But generally yeah, i'm in agreement, Kat.

I agree chris, the topic itself was of interest, it was just the treatment of it that drove me mad. To overlook the most basic fact that we are mammals ourselves was just too much.

I cant realy comment cos i didnt see the episode but its a shame when a programe with sutch a fine pedigrie draws sutch negative feedback. Lets hope this is just a tempoary abboration and that it picks up again.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back