• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Elephant Hawk moth Pupae (1 Viewer)

Bellabong1

Hello all!
I'm brand new to this forum but have read posts from previous years about elephant hawk moths and rearing them.
I work in a school and a colleague of mine last September found a larvae of an elephant hawk moth in the school grounds. I kept it and it pupated and its been in my store room since September. Every now and then I'll check on it and it looks fine.
I'm now back from Easter break and I've brought it downstairs with me so I can 'hopefully' record the moment it emerges. I have a camera set up ready to film. My question is, my room downstairs is a lot warmer than where its been resting over winter so I'm guessing it's going to make him emerge sooner rather than later and I'm wondering if its still too early for him? (its mid April) I have put some fuchsia twigs with emerging leaves inside the tank i've now placed it in.
Does the pupae change at all when its ready to emerge? Does it change colour for example? I'm eager to see him emerge but I don't want him coming out too soon! Any advice you can give me would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for reading.
Emma :)

Hi Emma
The peak emergence for this species is late June early July so it is really too early for it to emerge and find a mate. It's best to keep it somewhere cool and then bring it out again in mid June.
However, you can test if it is still alive by feeling the weight. If it seems very light then it has almost certainly failed. It should feel slightly heavy and may 'wriggle' when touched.
By all means put sticks in for it to climb up when it emerges but it doesn't need to be Fuchsia as that is the larval foodplant.
When it's about to emerge you should see the colour of the wing through the pupal skin. It also helps to lightly spray the pupa to help it emerge as it also needs to be slightly humid in order for the wings to fully expand before they dry.
Good luck with it. In my experiance they ALWAYS emerge when you least expect it!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back