• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sigma 500mm F4.5 APO EX (1 Viewer)

chinny

Hi,

I have a sigma 500mm prime, I noticed this morning that the top of the lens nr the mount is a tad loose, it moves about 1mm and you can physically rock it, Its not a massive problem but I dont wont it to get any worse, I have put electrically tape around the barrel at the moment so its fixed (kind of) in Position. Has anybody else had this problem? If so did you fix it yourself or send it Sigma?

I have attched the part in question.

Always the same when your due a week of work!! :C

Thanks in anticipation Paul

Attachments

• 1737542.jpg
    1737542.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 475
chinny said:
Hi,

I have a sigma 500mm prime, I noticed this morning that the top of the lens nr the mount is a tad loose, it moves about 1mm and you can physically rock it, Its not a massive problem but I dont wont it to get any worse, I have put electrically tape around the barrel at the moment so its fixed (kind of) in Position. Has anybody else had this problem? If so did you fix it yourself or send it Sigma?

I have attched the part in question.

Always the same when your due a week of work!! :C

Thanks in anticipation Paul

Hi Paul,
I have also noticed this problem with mine. It is the actual mount section that is loose, before the filter section. I was considering sending mine off to Sigma over the winter when i wont be needing it so much. This problem does not seem to affect the quality of the image.
Regards Rob.

Rob Chace said:
Hi Paul,
I have also noticed this problem with mine. It is the actual mount section that is loose, before the filter section. I was considering sending mine off to Sigma over the winter when i wont be needing it so much. This problem does not seem to affect the quality of the image.
Regards Rob.

Rob, Thanks for this I spoke with Sigma whom told me its a couple of screws that need tweaking up, they said that when it comes out of the factory locktight isnt used! Sigma UK will use it after they have tweaked it.

Paul

chinny said:
Rob, Thanks for this I spoke with Sigma whom told me its a couple of screws that need tweaking up, they said that when it comes out of the factory locktight isnt used! Sigma UK will use it after they have tweaked it.

Paul
Thanks for that Paul. Any idea how much they will sting you for this?

I had the exact same problem with my one and know another user of this lens who has had it too. My local repair shop told me it was common problem with this lens, fortunately it's also easy to put right. My local shop (who are an approved Sigma repairer) did it for me, only tooka couple of days and cost about £35 (cost is a bit vague as I got something else done at the same time).

I too had this problem after less than 3 months of use. I contacted Warehouse Express from where I bought it. They asked for me to send it back to them. They then forwarded the lens onto Sigma, they repaired it, sent it back to me and the whole process look less than a week. I even had my postage refunded.

Don't ya just love Warehouse Express!

That was over two years ago and I have not had a problem since.

Chris Galvin
http://chrisgalvinphoto.com

Same happened to my Sigma 50-500mm lens. I sent it back to Sigma UK by registered post, who fixed the problem under the guarantee. They returned it in less than a week. Cost me the postage, 20GBP.

I thought I'd better update this thread, I took the Lens to Sigma, they fixed the problem in under 5hrs and I had it back same day! Well done sigma...

I've just bought a used 500mm f4.5 and have contacted Sigma to find out if there is an approved repairer in NE England, as there is a bit of play on the final section of the lens from the filter holder to the mount. Will let you all know how I get on with this.

cheers
martin

I too had this problem after less than 3 months of use. I contacted Warehouse Express from where I bought it. They asked for me to send it back to them. They then forwarded the lens onto Sigma, they repaired it, sent it back to me and the whole process look less than a week. I even had my postage refunded.

Don't ya just love Warehouse Express!

That was over two years ago and I have not had a problem since.

Chris Galvin
http://chrisgalvinphoto.com

Has WE stopped doing this lens?
Can't see it on their website...only the 300-800mm

Its still there Gaz,
Nowhere near the 300-800 though. the primes are listed before the zooms.

Paul

Thanks for that Paul.
Wondering though.....is it as good as the equivalent 500mm that, say, Canon and Nikon do? I mean, are these worth the extra £1500-2000 just for .5 of an f/stop? :eek!:
Also, would I need to upgrade my D70s?

Thanks

This happened to my 50-500 a couple of days before I was going away. I fixed it myself, but I wouldn't advise it really. Works fine though.

Mark

Thanks for that Paul.
Wondering though.....is it as good as the equivalent 500mm that, say, Canon and Nikon do? I mean, are these worth the extra £1500-2000 just for .5 of an f/stop? :eek!:
Also, would I need to upgrade my D70s?

Thanks

Hi Gaz,

Just had a look at the price of the Nikon 500mm f4. Scary!!
The 500mm Sigma is a first class lens thats capable of excellent quality images. With a D70's 6mp sensor its possible that the extra money spent on buying the Nikon 500mm may be wasted because the sensor may not be able to resolve the extra detail from the Nikon lens (assuming there is extra detail! You'd hope so after spending that amount of money.)

I'd strongly suggest lookingout for a S/H Sigma. At £2500 new I'm not sure that I wouldn't find the extra for a Canon 500mm to get one of the best lenses ever made, with IS (you could get a 30d/400d and it would still be less than the Nikon 500mm, without IS). But at around £1200 S/H the Sigma's are a great buy and would be a perfectly good match with the D70.

Paul

Last edited:
Hi Paul,
Thanks for the useful information.
And for the dilema......
Sigma with my Nikon or GO CANON!!!!
It does give me a few things to consider.......Convincing the wife for one!!!!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back