• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cape Town to Adoo NP in 12 days (1 Viewer)

Claude_

Hello !

we are going in South Afrika next week |:d|
landing tuesday afternoon at Cap Town - self driving.
Our planning will be :
- 5 nights at Camps Bay - we'll go to see :
Table mountain
Robben Island
Cape of Good Hope, Cap Point , Boulders Beach, Chapman road,
West coast NP
Kirstenbosch National Botanical Garden
Stellenbosch
Strand
Betty's Bay

- 3 nights at De Kelders :
Duiker Island : boat cruise , whale watching
Walker Bay NR
Hermnanus
Agulhas NP

- 2 nights at De Hoop :
De Hoop NReserve
- 1 night at Platenberg
- 2 nights at Adoo Park :
Addo Elephant National Park

We would like to see whales, wildlife, wild nature.
I'd like to know where around this way we could make some birding, if there is some birds reserve... ?
I'd like especially to see blue cranes, endemic tall species... ganets, pelicans...Birds of prey.
Thanks
Claude

Hi Claude, sounds like a great trip.

Do you mean Plettenberg? (The night before you go to Addo). If you travel to Plettenberg on the N2 you should pass through a town called Caledon where there is a Blue Crane route. I haven't been there myself, but if you haven't seen Blue cranes by then it might be worth a try. Most of SA's Blue Cranes are in the Cape region so you should manage to see them. Look in grassland, cropland and vlei areas.

It looks as though you will cover the whale sighting area and wild life areas. There will be birds everywhere you go. Kirstenbosch is excellent for birds so take your binoculars when you go there.

Have a great time!
Sal

sounds like a great trip....

Yessss!!!
2 days and the GREAT trip will start - one year we espect it

Thanx Sal
yes, it is "Plettenberg"
if we are out of luck, we'll go to Capleton.

After the coast, we'll go at Kruger (take a plane at Port Elizabeth to Jbourg)
We'll leave Jbourg early in the morning, and must be at Malelane the evening.
From the N4 we could go at Verloren Valei Nature Reserve were live the other cranes.
I'm looking if it could be possible to visit the reserve and if we'll have enought time to do it.

I do not find a website of the NR - no email adress ? only a phone number.

Last edited:
This trip is sounding even better with a trip to Kruger!!!You should have no problem reaching Malelane gate from JHB . in one day. But leave as early as possible if you intend to visit Verloren. Its over 50km from the N4 which will be the road to Malelane, so there and back probably about 110km, plus the time you will spend in the reserve. I've never been there so I cant tell you much about it. There used to be a Wattled Crane breeding centre there (they took one egg from each nest as the cranes usually only raise one chick) and you could book a tour of this, but I don't know if it exists any more as the KZN one closed down due to lack of funding. I also don't know if there are any roads or paths in this wetland - usually. not as this can disturb breeding. Are you staying in Kruger? If so, you must leave enough time to get to whichever camp you are booked into from the gate. Have a great time.

1rst night, we'll sleep at Malelan, outside of the Kruger park - so no problem with the gate.
Then we'll stay in the park 12 nights |:d|
A great trip ... only two nights left :t:

Thanx Sal

I will think about the Verlolen valei.

Last edited:
Hello
I'm back again, we made our trip in SA - a wonderfull trip, a real enjoyment
a lot of beatifull wildlif, birds, animals, landscape

We SAW the blue cranes !!!
In the cape area, before and after the Adoo Park.
For the moment I put a feww pictures on this tread
But I'll take more time later.
Claude
sory for my english

Attachments

• _W9A3805_LR copie 1200.jpg
    _W9A3805_LR copie 1200.jpg
    440.9 KB · Views: 8
So glad you had a great time Claude! Delighted that you saw the Blue Cranes and those are really lovely pics of them - many thanks for sharing. Hope you enjoyed the Kruger part of the trip as well. Dont worry about your English - if I could speak/write French half as well as you speak/write English I'd be very proud of myself!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back