• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Menetries's Warber or Sardinian warbler or ...? (1 Viewer)

apbbani

Hi Friends, Is this Menetries's Warber or Sardinian warbler or ...? (1-may-2018- Kanibarazan wetland(Northwestern Iran)). Thanks.

Attachments

• DSCF9393.jpg
    DSCF9393.jpg
    231.2 KB · Views: 153
  • DSCF9392.jpg
    DSCF9392.jpg
    207.5 KB · Views: 121
Last edited:
The extent of black on the head, encompassing all of the ear coverts and the apparently grey base to the lower mandible (instead of pinkish/yellowish) seem to fit Sardinian better, in my opinion.

Hi Friends, Is this Menetries's Warber or Sardinian warbler or ...? (1-may-2018- Kanibarazan wetland(Northwestern Iran)). Thanks.

Sardinian Warbler hasn't been recorded in Iran.
Parham, I think it'll be helpful if you send the other two pictures that you took from another bird at the same time and location of this bird.

That appears to be correct, its eastern movement has not progressed beyond Syria & Jordan according to BirdLife International's Data Zone distribution map. However, it does indeed look to be a Sardinian Warbler!

Shane

The second photo alone, albeit blurry, would have lead me to Menetries, but the first one really looks like a Sardinian. The light angle makes them look different birds.

it the legs are red and the bird moves its tail form left to right then its menetries's warbler. side view of your bird seem like Sylvia mystacea.

1st year males don't show pink on the breast.

Last edited:
The 2nd photo wasn't posted when I replied. I think Menetries should be correct for all reasons mentioned. Tertial centres also look faded/lacking in contrast for Sardinian, and tail a bit too short.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back