• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Turtle ID, please? (1 Viewer)

GR Triever

Today was not a good birding day... but it was excellent for reptiles and amphibians! Will someone ID this one for me, please?

Thanks,

GR

Attachments

• DSCN0532_web.jpg
    DSCN0532_web.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 232
  • DSCN0537_web.jpg
    DSCN0537_web.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 234
That's what I thought, but why does everything I read say that snappers are brown in color, and this fellow is definitely green?

GR Triever said:
That's what I thought, but why does everything I read say that snappers are brown in color, and this fellow is definitely green?

GR,
I presume that it may be true out of the water and with all of the alga burnt off of the carapace. This would be a snapping turtle even if it were purple with pink polka dots. It is enough to look at the pointed beak and obvious strong shearing maxillary overbite and the long fleshy tail and relatively small carapace. These turtles don't need the overlarge carapace to draw up into to hide themselves as other turtles necessitate due to their pugnaciousness when disturbed by a potential predator.

I saw a snapper last week in the water, and there were a bunch of disturbances near the head area (the head was submerged, probably catching prey). I've never seen this act before, but when I snapped pictures when the head was visible, it had a much bigger beak than GR Triever's turtle...

gthang,

You're in NY State and should have only the Common Snapping Turtle (northern subspecies). You don't have the Alligator ST (Macroclemys temminckii) unless someone dumped one there as they are indigenous to the Mississippi fluvial system and now pretty much restricted to the gulf states though once ranging farther north. They can be easily told apart from the common as they has a much more ridged knobby carapace and a triangular skull looking down on it (makes them look more beaky).

OK, thanks Cuckooroller!

Here's the snapper I saw:

Attachments

• P1010032 (Snapping turtle).jpg
    P1010032 (Snapping turtle).jpg
    206 KB · Views: 203
  • P1010035 (Snapping Turtle no zoom).jpg
    P1010035 (Snapping Turtle no zoom).jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 239
Gthang- the carapace is the top part of the shell- the part that is sticking out of the water in your pic. The plastron is the lower part of the shell, the part facing the ground.

That is a huge snapper! Where was the photo taken?

A snapping turtle Be on the look-out for one footed ducks and geese frequent victims of snappers
Sam

Attachments

• lefty.jpg
    lefty.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 224
Last edited:
Janine, the photo was taken at my neighborhood pond that is within 5 walking minutes from my front door. Too bad there was almost nothing there today... although I did see the snapper again.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back