• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Female american goldfinch, St. John's, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada (1 Viewer)

mattdavis1979

Supporter
Canada
I was filming some birds today in Pippy Park, and I got a few shots of what I believe to be a female american goldfinch, I wanted to know if anyone on the forum could verify for me. I hate to be always a bother.

Attachments

• Image1.jpg
    Image1.jpg
    169.9 KB · Views: 37
  • Image3.jpg
    Image3.jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 26
  • Image5.jpg
    Image5.jpg
    280.6 KB · Views: 15
  • Image6.jpg
    Image6.jpg
    275.3 KB · Views: 12
  • Image13.jpg
    Image13.jpg
    197.4 KB · Views: 17
Looks good to me Matt!

Hi there and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum :t:

We're glad you found us and thanks for taking a moment to say hello. Please join in wherever you like ;)

Yes, American Goldfinch. And certainly not a bother either - the many members and I are more than happy to help with questions such as these!

Thanks for your help. I was confused by the almost golden colored stripes on this specimens wings, I thought the stripes were typically white. Also is this specimen indeed a female? I know the male has his black cap, but is this individual a juvenile who hasn't grown the black cap yet? Again thank you all so much for your help.

Actually, I think that it is a male (the plumage thus identifying it as a youngster), as the wings are quite black. Females have dark brown wings.

Ok great. I haven't seen many that coloration, that is what I found confusing but I compared the clip I filmed with one of my field guides and the coloration does match.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back