• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon 70-300mm f4.5-5.6 G AF-S VR IF-ED Lens (1 Viewer)

jforgham

Birding for fun
I have been fortunate enough to have received a considerable voucher for a local camera shop. I have been thinking of buying the titled lens. Is there anything better for my Nikon D40 in the same price bracket (W.Express knock them out ofr £320) I would like to try at bird photography for record shots on my blog. Would this do hand held stuff as well as tripod mounted if rrequired, to a reasonable standard. Also, would be grateful for any tips on settings for a beginner etc as well as general comments on the lens versus sigma and tamron similar versions.
Many thanks,
Jono

I have been using the 70 - 300mm AF-S VR on a D50 and returned it due to it not being long enough. It does take good images and can be hand carried carefully. My plan is to get s Sigma 50 - 500mm.

Thanks for the replies
Pete: reckon I can use this lens for butterfly and dragonfly shots as well as record shots of birds. Teleconverter has also been suggested. Have thought of the bigma but not really what I am after.
I am leading a party around Hatfield Forest soon so perhaps we can meet up. Shall pm you with details. Something to do with the national trust/woodland trust if I recall.
Jono
PS Roving drake garganey around Stortford/Sawbridgeworth/Rye Meads at present so keep eyes peeled at the Forest Lake. Also, had cracking ring ouzel outside my village last Tuesday. My 1st Herts for this species.

I really like this lens as a walk-around for birds. It's a bit short for small birds but does well enough if you don't mind cropping. It focuses nice and fast and, for me, seems sharp with good IQ all the way out to 300mm. I've heard others claim that it's not as good past 200, but my sample is superb. I just entered a shot of a Least Tern in the monthly photo contest if you'd like to see. It was taken hand-held with the Nikkor 70-300 VR.

This is a fine lens indeed, also was my first Nikon telephoto.
As noted previously you'll need to crop significantly for small birds.
The IQ does drop at the long end, but can be sharpened up quite nicely by stopping down and a bit of post-processing.
If this is all you need in terms of price and focal range, I don't think there's anything even close to it on the market.

Thanks to all contributors. Certainly enjoyed your review Yossi. Have now bought the lens and am having fun messing around finding correct settings etc.
Attached a few examples of first attempts here, plus several more on blog. Click on the blog photos to see at full size. See below.
Thanks and best wishes,
Jono

Attachments

• blackbird.jpg
    blackbird.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 279
  • rabbit.jpg
    rabbit.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 205
  • speckled wood.jpg
    speckled wood.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 201
Jono,
Just keep in mind that the lens is relatively very light and so is your camera. Sometimes, weight has its advantages...
To get the sharpest shots, hold the camrea tight, grap the lens at the remote end, make your body supports your elbows and squeeze the shutter release slowly.

I just got this lens myself now that I was finally able to afford it. I did not shoot small birds much before because all I had was a 70-200mm lens. With this lens, I added the kenko pro 300 1.4 teleconverter to it. Small birds show up much better now although there is still some cropping to do. I take public transportation or walk to where I need to go birding so carrying a tripod is not practical for me. I need to VR which is why I settled on this lens. I almost bought the sigma 50-500mm lens ans still might do so in the future either way.

It's a great lens, the VR technology has been updated from nikons previous lenses. You can actually select the distance you think you are from the subject on the manual focus meter behind the ring is you use manual focus. It's in feet and meters. I have run into the problem, both with the telecon on and off, with the lens having to hunt when zoomed all the way to 300mm. It can sometimes have a great deal of trouble with this. All and all though the autofocus is relatively fast for this type of lens and it is a nice sharp lens. It's also very good in lower light conditions so if you're like me and you do a lot of gulls and waterfowl, which are often most active on cloudy days, this will help you a lot.

To get the sharpest shots, hold the camrea tight, grap the lens at the remote end, make your body supports your elbows and squeeze the shutter release slowly.
Thanks, this is good advice as I tend to snap too quickly and I know my shots could have been better.

I own this lens and like it very much. It is too short for the kind of birding I like to do. However, the lens is great for taking photos of my kids sports. I always us it hand held for that.

I tried to use the lens for birding once and took a "grab shot" of a dragon fly that landed nearby. The dragon fly was the only "keeper" of the afternoon.

Attachments

• Dragon Fly Reduced.jpg
    Dragon Fly Reduced.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 861
Last edited:
Interesting topic for me, thanks everyone.
Actually I chose this lens over the 300mmf4 due to VR, 50% the weight and cost. I didn't want to get the fixed f4 and Nikon announce a VR a week later. (I also get the train, walk, and cycle) I would recommend this lens highly esp for beginner.
However after coming down from a loved Pentax 400 f5.6 I do miss the extra mm and have been wanting to do something. No Nikon 400mm f5.6.
I'm interested in the Kenko 300 pro TC as I met a respected photographer this year who suggested it to me. -The user manual for the lens says TC can't be used but apparently the Kenko does work. I just worry about it slowing down everything and getting 'softer' results.
I would be grateful if anyone has more ideas about this.
Still about $200 that I don't want to throw away.
I still like this light weight zoom on my D300 and have attached some shots that represent the kind of things I like to get: (I have mixed feelings about the osprey that I think I took when playing with D-lighting settings).
Many Thanks. Russell

Attachments

• GG March 3 2008 049.jpg
    GG March 3 2008 049.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 240
  • O.jpg
    O.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 235
Last edited:
One issue with this lens that I read in reviews and am now discovering for myself. It has a hard time auto focusing at 300mm. Sometimes it will focus right away, at other times it has to hunt for a second or two and at other times it simply won't lock in a focus at all.

Never had trouble with autofocus at 300mm. However, I'm shooting pictures of kids wearing high contrast sports uniforms in bright sunlight.

However after coming down from a loved Pentax 400 f5.6 I do miss the extra mm and have been wanting to do something. No Nikon 400mm f5.6.

Nikon does have 400mm f5.6, the 80-400VR. These pictures were taken with Nikkor 80-400VR and D200.

Attachments

• Plain-backed_Sparrow_1598.jpg
    Plain-backed_Sparrow_1598.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 225
  • RKV_8297_gb_xc.jpg
    RKV_8297_gb_xc.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 245
Very beautiful pics with the 80-400VR, Ruchai! No doubt that it is a fantastic lens but it is a zoom however, and I have compared this lens with the 70-300VR AF-S and the 300f4 AF-S. My old Pentax is/was a fixed focal, not a zoom: I would like a fixed 400 f5.6 with bonus VR + AF-S. (Some day? no rush-just a dream) I'd like the 80-400VR but that extra 100mm over the 70-300 is much more expensive (3X?) and without AF-S (even though I've been told the AF-S isn't 'real' on the 70-300VR)
If I had the money I'd buy all of them, but settled on the most affordable until either the 300F4 AF-S gets VR or even the 80-400mmVR gets AF-S, which I think could be soon as both of those lenses were released in back 2000.
One day I'd like a dedicated 400 f5.6 -which I personally feel most comfortable with.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back