• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swiss Alps, But What ? (1 Viewer)

SimonG4ELI

United Kingdom
Would appreciate help in identifying this bird.

Snapped today flying around in the Flims area of the Swiss Alps, using a Canon 350D and 100-400mm L IS USM lens and a lack of experience ;) .

New to these forums, please bear with me.

Gallery link is HERE with more shots.!

Attachments

• FlimsBird.JPG
    FlimsBird.JPG
    6.7 KB · Views: 252
Hi Simon,

And welcome to Bird Forum. I think your bird might well be a Common Buzzard, although if you have any other photographs then it might be helpful to see them.

Common buzzard for me too, Simon.

They're extremely variable in plumage, and your bird is within the usual range of variation.

Keith Reeder said:
Common buzzard for me too, Simon.

They're extremely variable in plumage, and your bird is within the usual range of variation.
Thanks - where I live we have many birds of prey, problem I had taking the shot was the spaniel giving me a wash at the same time.

With luck I'll get some very good close-up shots once the females hatch the brood and the go out hunting.

Next trick is to get the swallows to pose for me.

Andrew Whitehouse said:
Hi Simon,

And welcome to Bird Forum. I think your bird might well be a Common Buzzard, although if you have any other photographs then it might be helpful to see them.
Was walking home from lunch when the spaniel let out a yell and ran for cover - the Buzzard made a grab for him.

Then the buzzard went to the trees and was attacked by a crow (I have photos of this).

Anyway, here he is in better detail.

Attachments

• Birdy001.JPG
    Birdy001.JPG
    23.2 KB · Views: 166
  • Birdy002.JPG
    Birdy002.JPG
    7.8 KB · Views: 192
Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back