• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What Winter FLowers Have You Seen? (1 Viewer)

Great list! It will inspire me to look harder. I did find Sticky Groundsel in flower yesterday in the shingle of Rye Harbour nature reserve. That was it apart from some daisies. Plenty of tiny new growth showing for stoneworts, horned poppies etc.
Snowdrop from my previous posting. Sticky Groundsel over exposed sorry!

I have spent most of my time of late in woodlands looking for fungi, so no doubt miss a lot of flowers in the usual non woody places.
Dave

Attachments

• snowdrop garden longfield 100114xxx.jpg
    snowdrop garden longfield 100114xxx.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 26
  • sticky groundsel xxx.jpg
    sticky groundsel xxx.jpg
    171.9 KB · Views: 28
Great list! It will inspire me to look harder. I did find Sticky Groundsel in flower yesterday in the shingle of Rye Harbour nature reserve. That was it apart from some daisies. Plenty of tiny new growth showing for stoneworts, horned poppies etc.
Snowdrop from my previous posting. Sticky Groundsel over exposed sorry!

I have spent most of my time of late in woodlands looking for fungi, so no doubt miss a lot of flowers in the usual non woody places.
Dave

I did hear that two places (Cardiff being one) had upto 66 species in flower, almost double the number I found. I should point out that many plants just have the odd flower on straggly, old plants. Winter species, snowdrops, winter aconites, etc, are looking good round here now though.

Found a single Herb Robert in flower today in local woods. I also found a good sized colony of Ivy Broomrape (obviously gone over) so will be a good place for it in a few months time.
Dave

Attachments

• Herb Robert Darenth Woods 170114.jpg
    Herb Robert Darenth Woods 170114.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 34
Spotted a few more plants flowering around Norwich:

Yarrow
White Campion
Gorse
Hogweed

There are some grasses flowering too but am rubbish at ids for them!

Probably worth mentioning that the Botanical society have re-analysed their results and show the majority of plants in flower are hangovers from the autumn. Few real spring flowering plants are actually in flower as yet. Wont be long though...

See: BSBI publicity blog

I agree, many are last year's plants still with an occasional flower. however, I found a patch of Herb Robert yesterday that were all new growth, so not all are last year's.
I have a photo of some other plant "flowering" but dont know what it is, I will post a photo soon.
Dave

Attachments

• herb robert lullingstone woods 190114axxx.jpg
    herb robert lullingstone woods 190114axxx.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 19
OK here we go, I can't ID this plant which is in flower, it is new growth and not from last Autumn. Any ideas?
It was growing in a damp place in woodland amongst moss and there were a lot of them!
Dave

Attachments

• no id flower chalky bank 210114xxx.jpg
    no id flower chalky bank 210114xxx.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 20
Thanks for that, would that be Annual Mercury or Dog Mercury?
I found a load more coming up in another wood today and bluebells about 2" tall.
Dave

Last edited:
I found several Butcher's Broom plants today in a woodland edge. Some still had berries on (see photo) but all had tiny flower buds, so barring a cold snap these will be in flower very soon.
Dave

Attachments

• butchers broom hartley woods 220114xxx.jpg
    butchers broom hartley woods 220114xxx.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 24
Thanks Rubia. I'll check them soon to see if the flowers are now fully open.

Not much else in North Kent, so I went to West Hythe today on the Royal Military Canal on the Romney Marsh, a coastal area of Kent, where I found, Sweet Violets, Winter Heliotrope and a single Lesser Periwinkle.
Images in the gallery. Nice to see new flowers.
Dave

Had the following along the river Rhine today.
- Shepherd's Purse
- Annual Mercury
- Red Deadnettle
- Common Field-speedwell
- Yarrow
- Scentless Mayweed
- Daisy
- Smooth Hawk's-beard
And a real surprise:
- Gallant Soldier (this tends to wither after the first frosts)

I only live 30 km to the east and 20 metres higher up, but have failed to find anything in flower around my home thusfar!

Good find!
Today, I found a Hawkweed, Dandelion*, Scentless Mayweed, Common Speedwell*, Spurge Laurel*, Cow Parsley*, Red Dead Nettle*, White Dead Nettle, Common Ragwort and Vipers Bugloss in flower. Also a pinkish scabious like plant* I can't ID which I have put in the plant forum for ID (last photo)
Those with a * are new growth plants.
Dave

Attachments

• Dandelion Taraxacum officinale aggregata Ranscombe Farm 270114x - Copy.jpg
    Dandelion Taraxacum officinale aggregata Ranscombe Farm 270114x - Copy.jpg
    216.3 KB · Views: 15
  • no id speedwell ranscombe farm 270114bxxx.jpg
    no id speedwell ranscombe farm 270114bxxx.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 14
  • No ID Ranscombe Farm 270114xxx.jpg
    No ID Ranscombe Farm 270114xxx.jpg
    214.5 KB · Views: 16
  • Vipers Bugloss Echium vulgare Ranscombe Farm 270114x - Copy.jpg
    Vipers Bugloss Echium vulgare Ranscombe Farm 270114x - Copy.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 16
  • no id ranscombe farm 270114a2xxx.jpg
    no id ranscombe farm 270114a2xxx.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 19
Folkestone Leas coastal park provided:
Cyclamen
Winter heliotrope
CorsicanHellebore, image in gallery
Bristly Oxtongue
Dandelion
A Hawksbeard probably smooth
Primroses, not wild
Daisy
Dave

Winter Heliotrope
Lesser Celandine
Common Whitlowgrass
Germander Speedwell
Crocus
Dandelion
Snowdrops
Primroses
Daisy

All in flower this afternoon on the Isle of Wight.

Rog

Been seeing these out for a few weeks now - in marshy areas and also next to a muddy track.

???

Attachments

• DSC08757.JPG
    DSC08757.JPG
    233.1 KB · Views: 26
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back