• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Raccoon trouble...out in the middle of the day (1 Viewer)

cadillactaste

Now many are concerned about the raccoons coming out in the daytime. One neighbor shot it thinking it must be ill.

I disagree...if they are hungry...and know ones put out bird feed or cat food. They will come out to eat. They can't all be ill!

I waited until almost 11am to fill the platform feeder. In hopes the raccoons would not clean it out. After 2pm and there was a young one eating at it when I headed out back.

Our plan is to trap them and take them a good distance from our place. Because with dogs it isn't safe for them to be about. Our one dog listens to commands. An Australian Shepherd...she will nudge us with her snout to ask what to do when she sees one. (We've taught them to chase the neighborhood cats out of our yard) the bulldogs...will listen...to some extent. But won't tell us when they see one. Basically takes chase until we say otherwise. So I worry about them.

We enjoy the raccoon but...love our dogs far more.

Anyone else agree that they will come in for food if hungry? I can't see destroying them. Not that my husband could.

One suggested I remove my platform feeder or just don't refill it. If they eat there and nothing is there to eat. They may move on...worth a shot. Poor chipmunks will loose out on this end of the deal.

Our plan is to trap them and take them a good distance from our place. Because with dogs it isn't safe for them to be about. Our one dog listens to commands. An Australian Shepherd...she will nudge us with her snout to ask what to do when she sees one. (We've taught them to chase the neighborhood cats out of our yard) the bulldogs...will listen...to some extent. But won't tell us when they see one. Basically takes chase until we say otherwise. So I worry about them.

You may want to check with your local DNR regarding moving them to another area as it is illegal to do in some states. I know it it illegal in SC.

You may want to check with your local DNR regarding moving them to another area as it is illegal to do in some states. I know it it illegal in SC.

I didn't know that...I'll have to check.

So until then we stopped putting feed in the platform
Feeder. The mourning doves eat from the feeders too. Hoping if they can't reach the food they won't come to our yard.

Well...the booger watched me put food into the vifprd feeders and came again. But seemed confused no food in the platform feeder. He can't get up the bird feeder pole due to it having a raccoon/squirrel baffle on it.

So he climbed the picket fence I have with a shephers hook behind. Pulled the Droll Flipper over to him to eat. (Shepherds hook is a Droll Yankee as well and locks so they can't take my feeder down like they did in the past.) so my husband tied a string to the top of the shepherds pole...then to a tree so the pole can't be swing into reach.

So today no raccoon...hoping in a week I can start using the platform feeder again.

Well...the booger watched me put food into the vifprd feeders and came again. But seemed confused no food in the platform feeder. He can't get up the bird feeder pole due to it having a raccoon/squirrel baffle on it.

So he climbed the picket fence I have with a shephers hook behind. Pulled the Droll Flipper over to him to eat. (Shepherds hook is a Droll Yankee as well and locks so they can't take my feeder down like they did in the past.) so my husband tied a string to the top of the shepherds pole...then to a tree so the pole can't be swing into reach.

So today no raccoon...hoping in a week I can start using the platform feeder again.

Raccoons are pretty savvy and have a fine sense of smell. I suspect they will keep giving your place a sniff from time to time, just checking if the good times are back. The females are currently feeding their young, so they are especially motivated to find food. Consequently also not a good time to trap them.
Eventually, they can be easily baited with peanut butter into a big Hav-A-Hart trap (caution: skunks are also big fans of that stuff), cover it with a big jute so they don't get too frenzied and relocate ( a golf club works well, lots of habitat) at least 5 miles away.

Raccoons are pretty savvy and have a fine sense of smell. I suspect they will keep giving your place a sniff from time to time, just checking if the good times are back. The females are currently feeding their young, so they are especially motivated to find food. Consequently also not a good time to trap them.
Eventually, they can be easily baited with peanut butter into a big Hav-A-Hart trap (caution: skunks are also big fans of that stuff), cover it with a big jute so they don't get too frenzied and relocate ( a golf club works well, lots of habitat) at least 5 miles away.

I spoke a bit premature...they somehow shook the feeder and emptied the entire thing! So we'll be taking it in at night. With then feeding their young...it will be a list cause no doubt. So we'll be extra cautious making the dogs stay inside in the evenings. And taking them through the front to do their business.

When is a good month to trap them in?

I spoke a bit premature...they somehow shook the feeder and emptied the entire thing! So we'll be taking it in at night. With then feeding their young...it will be a list cause no doubt. So we'll be extra cautious making the dogs stay inside in the evenings. And taking them through the front to do their business.

When is a good month to trap them in?

Fall is best, that is when the young usually head out. The cycle is breeding early spring, 2 months pregnancy, 2 months nursing, 4-5 months learning the ropes and fattening up for the winter.
A long time ago, while raising a baby raccoon( they are totally cute but have needle sharp teeth and like to nibble on objects, including live ones) I found that they happily eat dry cat food, but dog chow does not cut it. That might be a budget alternative to trapping.

Fall is best, that is when the young usually head out. The cycle is breeding early spring, 2 months pregnancy, 2 months nursing, 4-5 months learning the ropes and fattening up for the winter.
A long time ago, while raising a baby raccoon( they are totally cute but have needle sharp teeth and like to nibble on objects, including live ones) I found that they happily eat dry cat food, but dog chow does not cut it. That might be a budget alternative to trapping.

I'll pass that tidbit along to my neighbors...who put out cat food. I don't have cats...but feed the wild birds and must say the cats are staying less and less out of our yard. With my faithful quick Aussie taking chase when given a command. But now we have the raccoon...we'll just deal with then until fall I reckon.

Thanks for your advice! Much appreciated!

you can also use hot suet, or make your own like I've done with habaneros. One taste will usually convince the young to stay away from your seeds.....mom may take more convincing.

you can also use hot suet, or make your own like I've done with habaneros. One taste will usually convince the young to stay away from your seeds.....mom may take more convincing.

They can only get into my mixed seed that I put out for the mourning doves and suck. Two feeders...the platform and Droll's flipper.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back