• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wasp behaviour query - Dorset, UK, June 2010 (1 Viewer)

pdh

For a few weeks I've been puzzled by a scratching noise in my back yard.

The other day I realised it is being made by wasps (I presume) who are landing on the wooden fence, and appear to be scratching away at the surface, then flying orf.

Attached are a picture of one of the little beauties, and a picture of the marks they are leaving in the surface of the wood.

My hypothesis is that they are wasps collecting cellulose for nest building.
I'm sure some smart entomological type will come along to confirm or correct ...

Attachments

• bzz20100627_97.jpg
    bzz20100627_97.jpg
    285.7 KB · Views: 124
  • bzz20100627_79.jpg
    bzz20100627_79.jpg
    322 KB · Views: 120
Hello pdh,

The wasps are indeed collecting finewood shavings for use in nest building. Any wood posts, fences, sheds etc are common targets, If you look closely you will find many lines running parallel to each other if the Wasp has been a regular visitor. The wood is chewed into a pulp like paper mache and manipulated with the wasps jaws into position on the nest.

Harry

Thank you Harry -- the whole fence is covered in these trails, and I think if you look at the wasp photo enlarged you can pick out shavings just by its head.
I have taken a few "macro" shots of insects recently and only just noticed the hairs (? cilia) that cover them -- also on a couple of dragonflies.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back