• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ed's thread (2 Viewers)

it's out of hand this forum is - miss a week and there's whole page of fresh diggings and doings: well done all

not much painting time at all over the last week or so, but I've managed to nudge the wallcreeper close to a conclusion- the plan was to get a sense of the bird as part of the spring tableau rather than a more wintry isolated jewel on big granite: main photo has lost quite a lot of the warm colour in the top half and so the original is a bit richer and more balanced and I might rephoto in daylight- but the crop is a fairer rendition

I promised myself I would extract three finished canvasses minimum from the trip- so onward..

Attachments

• DSC_1263.JPG
    DSC_1263.JPG
    147.5 KB · Views: 58
  • 550 DSC_1258 copy.jpg
    550 DSC_1258 copy.jpg
    186.6 KB · Views: 77
How you've managed to get quite so much movement into a static object like the rock is astonishing and the colour is positively springing (pun intended!) out of the canvas.

Mike

The mix of craggy textured rock-face and the organic floristic growth would satiate most; the piquant spice of the rock-rover brings just the fire required. Perhaps your 2010 masterpiece. . . .

Wallies....love 'em, just spent 4 days up in the Picos watching them and it's a bird I could never get bored of watching (girlf may disagree there!)
Great pic Ed, love the structural feel to the curvature of the rocks

a unique and beautiful work almost surreal in its effect, yet not a fantasy, just a huge new way of seeing a bird on a rock...fantastic

that's the nicest bit of toast I've seen in a long time! You succeeded in the challenge of putting the bird as part of its habitat - those little splashes of red all over really help make it feel very natural to watch this little wall-grille-pain.

Have to agree with what everyone else has said Ed, especially the part about bringing dynamism and life out of a rock. Who would have thought? Quite a challenge that you've set yourself and one that you succeeded well at! I think for those of us not familiar with Wallcreepers it's shocking to see that this really is what they look like.

I do have to wonder about what someone new to this read might make of it though: What's a Rock Rover? Where's the Toaster?;);)

Can safely be said this is a total success Ed, up there with your very best. Love the bird within an incredibly well painted environment, it all falls together perfectly...
As regards Wallcreepers. I do wish you would all leave them alone until I get to see one of these gems, one species at the very top end of my wish list...

this is brilliant Ed

well that seems to have gone down well- thank-you all for kind words

next up is Bulgaria canvas #2 - a pic based on the Hobby sketch upthread- I started off with the idea sparked by Colleen of using orange underpainting, but then have ended up with some more chocolate boxy greens and blues piled on top- forgivable I think in context of nice summer evening light

also a bonus feature- the last perched Hobby what I did before this one and indeed pretty much my last painting at all prior to the recent Birdforum inspired excesses- it seems to be dated 1985 FFS..

Attachments

• 550 hobby crop DSC_1310 copy 2.jpg
    550 hobby crop DSC_1310 copy 2.jpg
    208.1 KB · Views: 75
  • 550 crop DSC_1310 copy 3.jpg
    550 crop DSC_1310 copy 3.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 71
  • hobby 1985 DSC_1312 copy.jpg
    hobby 1985 DSC_1312 copy.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 76
wow, did I get that right? the last one is from 1985? if so you are following a path of many like Lijefors of starting at tight realism to the looser free more abstract and to my eye more alive....beautiful

Before you go getting the chainsaw out I like the larger image. Stunning painting this Ed, colours are superb and the eye is kept moving ocer the whole piece due to the interest provided by a stunning background. This is great Ed, love it. A major roll of form taking place here....

Ed,

This is absolutely wonderful! The forms, composition, colours. But that Hobby is tremendous, and one of the best representations of this bird I've seen. The foot positioning is brilliant. I love this to bits!

Before you go getting the chainsaw out I like the larger image. Stunning painting this Ed, colours are superb and the eye is kept moving ocer the whole piece due to the interest provided by a stunning background. This is great Ed, love it. A major roll of form taking place here....

Not surprisingly everyone is quotable today, probably because this is such a stunning painting. But I have to go with Alan, esp. the part about a major roll of form taking place here. Really a very strong painting. I think one additional part that really adds to it is that sinuous tree whipping around the canvas as though it's in the middle of a vortex.

It's almost unfair to put up the older painting as good as it is, though I'm sure happy that you did. But the new one shows the same skill but with something much more personal in it, just what art should be, bird or otherwise. I hesitate to ask, and please feel free to ignore the question, but what did you do between that painting from 25 years ago and your recent ones here? That was one long fermenting process.;);)

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back