• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Warbler, Lincs UK (1 Viewer)

dragnil

The glass is half full, but the bottle is empty.
United Kingdom
It's that time of the year when I have to try to relearn all my warblers but I'm stumped by this one seen this morning. Reading the Collins I'm leaning towards Garden because of the lack of any real features and the the "diffusely grey neck side" but, to me, the bill seems wrong.
There was a distinct greenish-yellow colour to the rump.
Finally, a second sequence of shots were of the last bird - is it the same?
Grateful for reasons so I can learn, thanks.

Attachments

• preen.jpg
    preen.jpg
    185.1 KB · Views: 81
  • _DLC6827.jpg
    _DLC6827.jpg
    176 KB · Views: 116
  • _DLC6831.jpg
    _DLC6831.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 113
  • rump.jpg
    rump.jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 76
  • second.jpg
    second.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 75
Thanks to all, I couldn't see what else it could be but it's good to have it confirmed.

There were chiffchaffs around but shouldn't there be at least a hint of a supercilium?

Attachments

• Warbler Apr 18_08.jpg
    Warbler Apr 18_08.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 54
Yes but often subtle and it's visibilty can change with angles and lighting. Garden Warbler is a lumpy creature, not flitting about like a Chiffchaff.

Thanks, Simon, I think the deciding feature has to be the bill, I wasn't happy with that for GW so it's down as another CC. Thanks to all for the input.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back